“Great fun in the sun”

Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Ottawa, Canada
“Great fun in the sun”
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Although I agree with one of the reviewers that they need more sit-down space around the pool and on the beach, I had fun at this hotel. They have a lot of fun activities planned all day in and around the pool (volleyball, Spanish lessons, bungee trampoline, tennis) and the entertainers are superb!! I think Alberto is his name, well he is fantastic!! He and the others really get a crowd going, and just the general atmosphere at this hotel is relaxed and easy going.

People come here to drink by the pool (or swim up to drink at the bar, in the pool ;) and everyone is really friendly. That includes the staff - cleaners, bartenders. We had concierges like Rene who were extremely courteous and polite. They answer quickly and fully to requests.

We really liked the seafood resto on the other side (near the beach) and the main resto near the pool. The spa (swedish hot-cold treatment) is also a must to see and try!

1 Thank MlleBL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
Durand, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This was our third time in Mexico, first on Pacific side and first time we've gotten sick, My husband couldn't leave the bathroom while we were there and the flight home is when it started with me. We only ate at the resort.

The hotel is rundown. There are two sets of elevators, the set further away from the checkin is very scary. Randomly, the doors won't close completely and you are stuck in there. It seemed to happen whenever four or more people got in the elevator. Hotel staff were notified yet the elevator was not fixed. I stayed away from it. My husband pointed out that one of the doors was warped and had a gap in it.

Air conditioning - almost non-existent. We did discover our last day that some people actually did have functioning air conditioning, we were not one of them, nor most of the people we met, the coolest our room got our enitre vacation was 75 degrees - and we did keep the blinds closed all the time, staff came up to room, banged on vents and said, "it is fixed", that was also how they "fixed" the rusty refrigerator that did not cool.

The rooms are clean but the smallest all inclusive room I have ever seen. Drinks are watered down, I'm a light weight when it comes to drinking but never got a buzz, even the night we stayed up late. Food is also not good, we've been to other all inclusives and never had food that bad before. Only good part was fresh omlets and french toast at breakfast.

I personally never saw a single time sale person - didn't even know they had it. I like to lay by the ocean not the pool. Chairs by the ocean are hounded all day long by beach vendors, some of them quite agressive.

There is one place the hotel truley shines - the staff (entertainment, wait staff) they are all incredible and vastly overworked and underpaid.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 101lolagranola
Parry Sound, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Stayed here Feb.23/2013 for 1 week. Have been to various all-inclusives in various locations in Mexico 8 times, this hotel is by far the best. The food is great. Not tired of the selection by the end of the vacation as at other hotels. Staff wonderful especially Rene. Always smiling and eager to help. We are planning on going back next year. Have no bad things to say about this resort. Its beautiful from the minute you walk in the building.

Room Tip: Had an full ocean view room-well worth the money. Liked the high floor as view is aweome
2 Thank Sandy B
De Pere, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 7, 2013

When we booked we booked a Deluxe Ocean View with a king bed. When we arrived we got a side view of the ocean and two double beds. We even paid extra for this..I was not happy because this was my first time . I went down and said something we finally got the ocean view but still two double beds.I feel if you you are going to book a specific room then you should get it. Don't lie to people saying that they are available when in actuality they aren't. If your a travel agent know ahead of time how many ocean front rooms with king beds are going to be available and once they are gone let the people know, don't promise something you can't. I blame the travel agency in this. The beds were rock hard. I didn't know you could ask for extra foam for the bed until the last night of our trip. Oh and the chair saving is ridiculous...some people saved these all day and never showed up to there chairs.. I was pissed. If your gonna save it then you best be there when the pool opens or there should be a policy that if your not the towels are taken off. People had there own towels and clips which these are the people that never showed up for the day to these chairs. At least when I saved a couple for my husband and I we showed up when the pool opened and when we left we took the towels so others could use the chair.
The staff is very nice. They were all so friendly. The spa was awesome! I would recommend this to anyone!!!
I know that it is normal for hecklers every where you go in Mexico but these people don't leave you alone. My husband and I went off the resort for a walk to the shops and was bombarded, even on the beach we were. Needless to say we never did leave the resort to go to Zihu like we wanted to because of this...I was annoyed after a few hours. Even when we went off for dinner at the Blue Shrimp we were bombarded by little kids selling trinkets...I don't like this part of Mexico. If I wanted to buy something I would so don't pressure me .. So we ended up buying most of our souvenirs at the airport.
I would stay here again just because the sunsets were beautiful...but now I know some things that I will do differently!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Becky C
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Sunscape Dorado's pool and beach areas are small in comparison to the number of rooms. The pol lounge chairs were 3 times the comfortable amount, where you were packed in like sardines. The beach was the same thing, 100 people were crammed in a tiny area, putting 4 people under every umbrella. We received a note from the staff on our last night outlining the chair saving process. "Chairs were not to be saved before 7 am." Our experience was chairs were saved starting at 2 am. Guests were asked to not bring their towels to their rooms at night, yet that didn't happen. We could hear clip clop down the hall in the middle of the night by guests going down to the pool or beach to save a chair. What was disappointing, any time of day you would see many orange towels on unattended chairs. The staff letter said if a chair was left with a towel for over an hour, the pool staff would remove your towel for someone else. That never happened. I ended up going to the beach well after 3 every day and would just sit on someone else's towel until they kicked me off. No one ever came. Needless to say, this was the first towel saving experience like this for us and we wouldn't go back to this hotel because of it. The hotel was also booked during our stay by a radio excursion from Wisconsin with 200 members. They had a good time with live radio shows and companionship. Perhaps the hotel was overbooked, but reading other people's comments about this place was all about the towels. The staff was overly courtesy and attentive, but doing nothing about the towel scenario was weak. This was also my first all inclusive experience - so maybe this is the norm and is expected. If so, we paid too much - $170 USD per day for the food and drink alone was not of value. To me, the food was mediocre and drinks too sweet. We ended up eating dinner outside the hotel for 4 of the 7 nights which were fabulous dining experiences. A note for the management: if you have a rule, make it known at check-in and enforce it with the pool and beach staff. Increase your beach chair area across the length of your hotel - there is 150 unused feet.

Room Tip: the disco across the street plays music until 4 am - book an ocean front room or bring earplugs
5 Thank slalom4lyf
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This all inclusive was amazing!! The activity staff for the pool area - with Alberto, Blanca, Irsula and Carlos- kept us smiling & having fun each day. The ocean front room was clean - the entire hotel was neat & clean. The view was spectacular. The staff at the bar areas were also fun and friendly. Esp. Simon at the swim up bar. We had sample massages, tried parasailing and attended many "theme nights". Oscar night and casino night were favorites. I can't say enough about the activities people. Young and very enthusiastic. LOVED water aerobics.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Diana O
British Columbia
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We've just returned from one week at the Sunscape and we thoroughly enjoyed it. This is definitely the best all-inclusive we've been to in Mexico.

POSITIVES
• The beach is fantastic - great for long walks in the mornings and evenings, building sand castles and enjoying the ocean.
• Clean hotel, and the resort area of Ixtapa is kept very clean in comparison to other areas we've been.

• The food in the a la carte restaurants was great - breakfast buffet great, dinner buffet was " just ok" - we did like the Prime Rib on Friday night. Loved the little coffee bar for lattés and frappés.

• Kids' Club as fantastic for our daughter. They kept the kids busy doing crafts, games, indoor and outdoor activities all day long - even into the evening if you wanted dinner without the kids. Orely, Elda and Yuri are terrific and make fast friends with all the kids.

• The Entertainment Staff work extremely hard - and long hours - we particularly enjoyed our bike rides - even if the bike tires need air - it was great to get go for the little tour to the marina and back. At the Dolphin place we were taken into see the dolphins, the parrot and the lion cub. Thanks for Carlos and Blanca for their extra effort!

• The entire staff from cleaning, serving, front desk and bar staff all work extremely hard and deserve to be tipped well.

A FEW NEGATIVES...
• The Flintstone Beds - hard as rocks! Thankfully if you can ask for foams to be added to make them passable.

• Oceanview Rooms do hear all the noise from entertainment in the garden area until it shuts down at 11PM, so if you're tired, you won't get any sleep until after 11PM. The alternative is the room at the other side of the room hear the noise from the nightclubs until 4AM, so bring earplugs!

• The Towel and Beach Chair Game - we found it incredibly rude to arrive at the pool area by 7:30AM and all the beach chairs already "reserved" with towels for the day - including entire sections of 12 chairs taped off" in the same location every single day. In fact, I could survey the chairs from my room and towels were going on chairs by 5:00AM because some people find it prudent to "save" their beach towels front the day before just so they can get "THEIR" chair. This was ridiculous.

•Timeshare guys. They are in the lobby and will ask repeatedly.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family