Azul Ixtapa Beach Resort & Convention Center
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsoyster bareco gymwater wingsplaya lindaupper poollobby barkids clubrifle shootingitalian buffetgold flecksdark sanda la carte restaurantscrocodile sanctuaryseafoodwater taxikayak tourkids pool
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Just returned from two weeks at Azul, half this time with family members from Montreal, including 3 young girls. A very enjoyable experience for all, largely for reasons outlined in detail in other reviews (with which we generally agree).

Here we want to comment especially on the resort staff. Whether room service, main desk, pool attendants, restaurant cooks and servers, sales reps, etc. - all were extremely friendly, personable, helpful. Thank you ! You make a difference.

With three young girls along, however, for us the Kids Club was especially important. Here the staff was truly exceptional: Thank you Margarita, Lupita, Alma and others we're sorry we can't recall. You were all superb!

Finally, with regrets for not remembering more specific names, thanks to Manuel Doblado, Juan Francisco, Johnny Rumbo, Benigno Avila.

A most enjoyable two weeks.

1  Thank Luciano2014899
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We were at the Azul beginning of February. Six adults and 5 children ages 1-7. The activities for kids were terrific. Each day the kids club had a new brochure with the daily activities and times of each listed. We could take the kids to things they were interested in and make plans for the rest of the day. There were several pools including a small one that was only about 8 or 10 in. deep and even our 1 year old loved tottering around in it. They have water wings for anyone to use so the other kids could enjoy all the pools. There was also a playground in the kids club area which got us out of the sunshine sometimes.
They have 2 a la carte restaurants that we couldn't go to because the 10:00 seating time was far too late for our children. There were 3 buffets and a snack bar which was open from 10-5 I believe and served hot dogs, pizza, chicken, burgers and nachos. We arrived on a Thursday and the hotel was booming with weekend visitors. All three buffets were open then and the Italian was super good. The others were ok. By Monday the hotel had emptied out and only 1 buffet was open for breakfast, lunch and dinner so no choice but we never went hungry. Staff was 50-50, some were very friendly and others were just working. Also had a dinner show one night, Mexican Fiesta, the show was very good, the food was ok and the drinks were free, so its a good time.The resort and rooms were very clean, bed decorations were pretty, always had towels and the water was hot if you wanted that after all day in the sunshine. The grounds were very nice, flowers, and plants were well cared for. Pools were clean, big and warm.
Unfortunately the beach was full of what looked like garden mulch. There were a group of men working to clean it up from morning to night put they couldn't keep up. The last couple of days a backhoe was on the beach cleaning it. Didn't make for a good beach experience but not the hotel's fault. We heard that it was from the heavy rains in the jungle that washes down the rivers and into the ocean and up onto the beach. Yuck! We did build some sand castles above the tide line but it just wasn't the same. Sand here is very hard and dark. Easy to walk or run on though, didn't have to fight the soft sand. When looking at the ocean walk to the right, head toward the boats down the beach. Just before the shopping area look to the right behind the green chain link fence you will see the crocodiles sunning themselves. The shops have what you would find in Ixtapa and most of what you will see in the Hotel shops (only less than half the price). They start high so barter, everyone was friendly. Take a boat from there over to Ixtapa Island (40 pesos return). Lots of little bars and eating joints. Take snorkel gear if you want or just a couple of buns to sprinkle in the water, the fish will swim right around your legs and you can wonder through the rocks to see some of the more shy ones. Water is crystal clear. Nice day out. Enough…go and enjoy yourself, it would be very hard not to.
Oh yes, exchange your Canadian money at the front desk we got a great rate.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are nice, watch the sunset, and they all have ocean views.
2  Thank PatD06
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We stayed here in Feb 2014 and really enjoyed our time here. Our primary goal was to find a resort that would be enjoyable with a 2 year old and we were not disappointed. Overall, I would recommend this resort if travelling with kids - not so much if you are just adults.

Location - The resort is about half an hour bus ride from the airport away from the other resorts. There is a convenience store a 5 min walk away and the pier to get a boat to Ixtapa islands is also a 5 min walk but everything else (the town) requires a bus or taxi to get to.
Pool - The pool area is huge and had something for everyone. There's a toddler pool (very shallow pool with umbrellas for shade) as well as a bigger kids pool (big water playground). There were plenty of lounge chairs during the week but the resort seems much busier on weekends when a lot of local Mexicans come so best to reserve your chair early (especially on Saturdays).
Beach - The rest of Ixtapa is known to have very strong currents but the way this resort is situated (protected by the bay/island), the currents are not an issue. The sand is not as white and water not as blue as you see on the east coast but still quite a nice beach. The sand was very fine (No rocks/shells), and no seaweed. Sand was great for sandcastles.
Food - The food was ok, not great, not bad. If you are staying for a week, you get 3 meals at the a la carte restaurants including 1 at the hotel next door (Azul Grand). My advice would be to take advantage of these (especially the one at the hotel next door). The Azul Grand meals were better (seems a little more high end catering more to adults). Most of the restaurants are open air so I would avoid the 7pm reservation as mosquitoes are bad at this time. 8pm and after is better. Tip - The ice cream at lunch is really good but you need to ask the waiter for it as you wouldn't know about it otherwise.
Kids - Aside from the pools, there is also a massive kids playground as well. For kids under 4, there is a baby centre you can drop your kids at and for those 5+, there are activities all day at the kids club.
Service - No complaints about the service. Staff was all very professional and helpful. They keep the resort very well maintained and clean. There’s also a doctor on staff which is a bonus.
Rooms - Rooms - The way the resort is built, all rooms have a view of the ocean (though if you are in the bottom couple floors, your view may be blocked by trees). Rooms seemed clean and relatively spacious. I would recommend paying a little more to get a balcony.

3  Thank BlairLindsay
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Azul Ixtapa (formerly Melia Azul Ixtapa), had been our favorite place since 2008. We have been fthree times since then, except this year, but we had the pleasure of using of using beach, the pool and had dinner in Costa Azul, our all times favorite.
Although the new AZUL IXTAPA GRAND, two years old, is next to Azul Ixtapa, but the former Resort is still holding its ground for its loyal customers with beautiful gardens, nice restaurants and very family oriented (with exclusive attractions for children) remains a major attraction to families with kids.

Room Tip: Request rooms with ocean view on higher floors to avoid noise from activities on pools. Also, higher floors give better overall view of the sea and sunset.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 1, 2014

A Wonderful holiday place, especially if you are looking to take children.
All resorts have their highlights and I would say the children have more options, easing the parents vacation.
Options for children range for all ages and they have a water park that is wonderful, a playground that is fun and mini golf. Their staff that is available to monitor children is free but most importantly pleasant, attentive and fun. Absolutely the best resort if you have children that like to be entertained, yet if they prefer to hang out with parents, there is an abundance of fun that is within view of parents supervision.
They also provide pottery painting for adults or children, a wide selection of exercise options with fun filled staff that do not pressure.
Restaurants have good food and selection but we preferred their specialty restaurants, wish they allowed more than three per week. Service staff definitely deserve a tip however it was optional. Must say if you tip, they go above and beyond and r grateful.
Cleanliness was very good and every day our room was wonderfully cleaned,had no issues what so ever, except one.
When we booked for my daughter, myself and two grand children they gave us a wonderful 1 bedroom suite (of course I requested and paid for) however, I was to understand it would be able to accommodate four of us, yet when we arrived it had one king bed and hide a bed sofa. I have yet to find a comfortable sofa bed, so I do think they should have given us a suite with two dbl beds since they were aware of how many were registered. I try to stay optimistic so although I stressed my concern they had no alternative so I told them I would try it. Woke up with a bad back ache, so called and must say they tried to accommodate. They had provided one roll away bed for one grandchild so I thought I would try one. They quickly brought one in, well it was not what I would have called comfort but all in all, I paid for the view. I would recommend that a one bedroom suite would be most appreciated even for a couple since their other rooms have no balconies. I do think that they should have rethought their sleeping arrangements since most people find it more important to have a wonderful sleep rather than a sofa. Most people on vacation do not sit in their rooms, so another bed would make more sense.

Their partner hotel , Azul Grand, is more for the adults but lacking on entertainment, according to other travellers I spoke with. I was able to take a tour of rooms and their resort with a mgr. I was impressed, so will stay there upon return, especially if we return as just adults only. They have a better sleeping arrangement but they have their jacuzzi tub in the open so if traveling with older children you would need another rm since there is no bathroom privacy. However, for couples it is wonderful!

These two hotels share entertainment but most is provided by the Azul, however if u stay at the grand, you are allowed to walk over and enjoy the grounds and entertainment of the Azul. It's not a far walk.

I know I will return, Ixtapa town across from the majority of the hotels is quaint, however the market within a five minute walk from the Azul resort is more reasonably priced and has the same variety.
Also on the walk to the market, you pass by the crocodile reserve that is free to see the crocs in their wild habitat, of course from above deck :)

If you choose to go by boat across to ixtapa island, it is very reasonable $1.00, which I heard of their fantastic lobster or seafood meals, served on the beach. That also is a five min walk towards the market. There Is a lot of options both free and reasonable. That is why I would say Ixtapa is a gem in the rough, that has not been ruined by crowds yet! Well worth trying.

Room Tip: For a couple 2901. Had a spectacular view and I had requested quiet so it was on a corner away from elevators. I would say basically any of the upper rooms should be fine but the band echos so if you need quiet , request the bldg further from the main lobby.
5  Thank Premkumar C