“Great scuba days”
Review of Carlo Scuba

Carlo Scuba
More attraction details
Owner description: Carlo Scuba is a 3 generation PADI dive center located on playa las Gatas since 1962.PADI instruction is offered from beeginners to instructor courses,as well as many specialties like photography,deep diver,underwater navigator,night diver,nitrox diver,multilevel diver and more.Carlo scuba is the only facility with NITROX in ixtapa-zihuatanejo.Our PADI discover scuba program is the best option to learn to dive in 3 hours.We also offer great food at Chez Camille's Restaurant and other water activities like snorkel tours,kayaks and fishing trips.Come and enjoy the fun and safety CARLO SCUBA has offered for almost 50 years!!
Bellingham, Washington
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great scuba days”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

We spent 2 days diving with Thierry and his staff at Carlo Scuba and were very impressed with his professionalism and caring. We had 3 kids diving with our group, 2 of which were completing their open water certification. Thierry did a great job relating with the kids (and adults) and calming everyone's nerves and pointing out all of the interesting sights. The kids were successful at completing all the requirements for their certification and now love the sport. The adults all had a good time as well. We would all definitely dive with Thierry again on future trips to Zi.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank cathtrac

Salt Lake City, UT
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Exceptional service, and 90-minute dives!”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We dove five days with Carlo Scuba in Zihuatanejo. Our reason for diving with Carlo Scuba over another highly recommended operation was the acceptance of credit cards. We couldn’t be more pleased with the operation.

Thierry is the third generation owner of Carlo Scuba; Carlo was his grandfather. We arranged by phone with Thierry (who is fluent in English, French and Spanish), to pick up our gear the night of our arrival at our Zihuatanejo timeshare. We met Thierry on the town pier the next morning and were taken to his shop on Playa Las Gatas to complete the paperwork. Once he saw how we liked our gear set up Thierry assembled, disassembled, rinsed and stored our gear every day. We were picked up and dropped off at our timeshare every day. Though were were told that conditions may require a swim, we waded to and from the boat in waist deep water. Our equipment was brought to the timeshare our last night in town, all rinsed, dried and ready to be packed.

The boat is comfortable for up to six divers, with four mid-ships under a canopy and two in the bow. Our group of four had the boat to ourselves for seven of our eleven dives. Most dive sites are within a ten to fifteen minute ride. Entry is a backward roll from your seat, with re-entry by ladder. Out of consideration for Thierry’s crew we removed and handed up our integrated weights before our BCs were lifted aboard. Nitrox is available.

Our dives were all at least an hour long, and two lasted 90 minutes! We were free to dive our own profiles, and to ascend individually according to our air consumption, where we were met by the boat. On our last dive one of us spent over thirty minutes at 38 feet watching a jawfish before moving to the reef where the rest of us were.

The attraction at Zihuatanejo is the undersea topography – and the abundant eagle rays and sea horses. The depth on one site was 100 feet and on a couple others in the eighties, but most were sixty feet or less, with much to see in the thirty foot range. Experienced divers should not miss the several sites that are a half hour distant, with a half dozen eagle rays coming within four feet of us in the surging shallows. Another excellent dive was the shallow bay just around the corner from Playa Las Gatas as was the wall leading to it, under the lighthouse.

Both highly experienced and new divers will be very well served by Thierry at Carlo Scuba and will enjoy the diving and exceptional convenience. Please tip him appropriately.

Visited November 2013
TO
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Newbie to Scuba now an addict.”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Prior to my trip I had zero open water experience in scuba diving. I was nervous, I was scared and not sure that I should be doing this sport at all. Through emails, Thierry gave me 3 options with no pressure to take the one that would be most beneficial to him. The day of my first 2 dives, my stomach was turning and I was shaking up a storm, but Thierry put me at ease and as soon as we were in the water everything calmed right down and thanks to his guidance and expertise I had a great diving day. So good, I came back the next day and did two more dives and qualified for my Open Water Diver Certificate with PADI. Before going I had told myself I would go no deeper than 30 feet. My 3rd dive went to 58 feet! Such was my confidence in Thierry's leadership and direction. My 4th dive where I was to just do the procedures to qualify turned out to be one of the best of the dives. We did the procedures out at a beautiful coral reef which after I completed the qualifications we dove around for another 40 minutes. Thanks to him, I now love the sport and can't wait to get out into the water again! At the end of the dives, I enjoyed a complimentary celebratory beer on his beach and had a lovely afternoon chatting with his family. And the guac at his restaurant was great too! No rush to get me back to Zihau pier at all. I was welcome to spend the day at the playa de Gata beach.
Thierry also has built a place to stay for guests behind his shop which is right on the Playa de Gatas beach. Breakfast and transport by boat into town is included in the cost of the room and Thierry did mention something about free massages... but you may have to inquire about that with him directly! LOL!
Carlos Scuba is a year round operation with generations of experience and historical knowledge of marine conditions in the area. You really can't go wrong with Carlo Scuba.

Visited November 2013
Denver, Colorado
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Tremendous Excursion!”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Thank you to Thierry for a great scuba adventure. My wife and I were staying at the Club Med Ixtapa and booked this trip off-site. We took a cab to the Zihuatanejo harbor and Thierry pulled up in his boat right on time. We went out with a friend of his who is a top manager at one of the largest resorts in the area. The four of us had a great drift dive around the large rock sticking out of the water about 1/2 mile away. Our next dive was shallow near shore. Both dives were fantastic. Thierry's friend offered us a ride back to Club Med and even emailed us underwater pix he took. What a great guy!

The other fun aspect of Carlo Scuba is its location. When Thierry picks you up at the pier, he boats across the harbor to a sandy beach area only accessible by boat that is used by locals for warm water snorkeling. There are numerous small restaurants and bars. After our scuba trip we hung around Scuba Dan's "office" and had some beers and soaked up the local culture. FUN!
We'll be back this Christmas!

Visited December 2012
1 Thank BobinDenver
“Excellent experience!”
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Completed my closed-water dives a few weeks prior to my trip to Ixtapa/Zihua and based on Trip Advisor reviews, contacted Carlo Scuba to complete my open-water dives and certification. I have nothing new to add as the other reviews have said it all. Thierry is beyond accommodating and his equipment is all in excellent condition. I had such a good time I've already set up another day of diving before I head back home and I can't wait.

Visited July 2013