“Great location but dated”
Review of Barcelo Ixtapa

Barcelo Ixtapa
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
courtenay
“Great location but dated”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Stayed here early February and were very pleased with the location, beach and especially the terrific staff. The common areas are pleasant and evening entertainment was good. The rooms however, need renovating and a little more attention paid to general cleanliness and maintenance in common areas like hallways and elevators. The food was usual buffet fair, good but not exceptional. The pools were good, beach location perfect and as mentioned earlier, the staff were always friendly and ready to help.

Room Tip: I've heard that they have started renovating rooms from the top down, so try to get a higher flo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank seca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We stayed at the Barcelo for the 2nd time in two years Feb. 6-16th. The weather was perfect as always there, the beach is great, and the service was good also. We had a beautiful ocean view, but the bathroom is a little small. Our sink faucet leaked a little, and the hot water came up fast in the shower so you had to play around to get the right temperature. We are never in our room anyway, so it is not a big deal. I don't know why some of the reviews are so negative because any where you go in Mexico it is not going to be perfect. The food in the snack bars for lunch is good except for a couple of items. The club and fish were the best, and the pico de gallo and guacamole is excellent there. Across the street there are many great places to eat so spend some extra money and try them out because it is well worth it. Go to Franks, Reuben's Hamburgers, and El Faro on the hill. There are shows every night and the Mexican Fiesta is the best food of the week. The mariachi band is great, as well as all the acitvities people.

The bartenders Javier and Augustine were awesome, and the front desk employees were very helpful. The pool was a perfect temperature and there were no kids in the swim up bar area for a change, but there were too many bees by the pop machine and I don't remember it being that way before. This year you could not use American money in the gift shop, only pesos, so you had to have your passsport in order to exchange at the desk if you were going to buy something there. There is an OXXO across the street that has any amenities you may need too, and cheaper.

We got married in Mexico, and I contacted the Barcelo wedding planner at least 3 times and the travel agent we were originally working with did also to confirm our date, but we never heard back from anyone so we got married in Zihua instead on the beach. Everyone we met really wanted to see us get married on the beach in front of the Barcelo, so they were a little upset and said I should have complained. I was happy in Zihua at La Perla so it was not a big deal to me. I would definitely stay there again and agian.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean view room. We always sign up for a king but rarely get one, so they either don...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
CMBIxtapa, Director General at Barcelo Ixtapa, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear guest:

We appreciate first of all for staying at our hotel and we been waiting to have you here at your home pretty soon, we have read in detail your suggestions and comments, those would be taken into our notes.

We would like to pleased your room type request, that is why I,m asking you to send an email to ixtapa@barcelo.com, where we can follow anything you need.

Kind regards, and we recommend to subscribe to barcelo.com.

Thank you very much, and we hope to see you soon!
Danville, California
Reviewed February 18, 2014

The place is clean, rooms are nice, and the staff was very good. It's all inclusive which is very cool if you are okay with sub-par cafeteria quality food. I mean really bad food. Like food that looks really good and then you taste it and it's like bland goo. We nicknamed it Barfelo.

Overall, not the best experience for the price, but the place was nice. Great pools, activities, and it's on the beach. All inclusive drinks was very cool, one tip though, the low tier alcohol option gives you some pretty poor quality alcohol bottom shelf stuff and a 100% chance of a headache after sitting out in the sun for a day. Go for the upgraded alcohol. Better yet, spend a little more on a place that has better food. It sort of ruined the whole experience for us.

Room Tip: Get a room in the main building with elevators.
2 Thank IAM9997
Ottawa, il
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

We just came back after 7 nts, 2/8-2/15. The weather was Awesome! 88 degrees, no clouds, beach was wonderful and palm trees have grown for shade and a nice breeze comes thru when u are laying on a lounger.
We have stayed at the Barcelo 3x now, 2001,06,14. This hotel needs some SERIOUS renovations. We were on the 6th flr, rm 642. The door to our room was damaged and you could see daylight all around the frame! When another door slammed down the hall it shook our room, the scrapping of chairs on the tile in the next room sounded like it was in our room, woke me up one morning thinking someone was in our room! Our bathroom needed to be cleaned!!! Behind the door, if I had a DustBuster I would have used it! And the base around the tub was caulked so many times it was about an inch thick! Oh, the toilet was caulked too! No time to fix it right gotta make money in these rooms! Apple Vacations needs to inspect this place! We paid good money for this hotel. (The good thing is they gave us clean towels and made the beds everyday. Housekeeping was super!) But, I had to tip for an extra coffee and hand lotion! The supervisor on the flr would only give me 1 coffee when I did not offer a tip! Are u kidding me???
The wait-staff were nice ppl in all restaurants and beach server flora bel was there whenever we wanted a beverage.:) the food is just so so. We have stayed in Mexico 12 vacations!!! This was the worst food we ever had!! It was cold Sat night and Sunday for breakfast outside. They do better at the lunch place, Caracol. Guacamole and pico were wonderful! I did like the fresh omelets inside. One nt my husband was sick, I went down for a bite to eat, all they had was Mexican night out under the tent and they told me I could not make a plate and take back to my room, possibly a place at the reservation only sushi place, if I was lucky or 130 pesos for rm service!!! Sorry but you have 3 places open all week and 1 night there's basically only 1 choice for Everyone!!! The Barcelo needs to check into the food choices and keeping it hot and all rooms for a redo. We r not fussy ppl when it comes to food, nice choices makes the week fun and not boring, hot food should be hot and cold food cold. Your return guests are talking about looking at other resorts due to your lack of upkeep. We r writing Apple Vacation on our disappointment of this hotel.

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Singer54
Welch, Minnesota
Reviewed February 17, 2014

This was our first time to Ixtapa and not knowing the area or hotels, we chose the Barcelo based on availability and price. We invited two good friends to come along. After booking, I started reading all the poor reviews, on Tripadvisor, about this place. I was somewhat worried and told my friends I was not sure what to expect. WELL!!! We had one of the best Mexican vacations we have ever had. First off the hotel, although a bit older, had the most comfortable beds we have ever slept on in Mexico. We had an 8th floor ocean view. The surf at night lulled you to sleep and the hotel grounds were very quiet. Our room was spotless very day and the beautiful grounds around the hotel were also the same way. The food, we all felt was very good, hot and the variety was just fine. No long lines. Even the specialty restaurants were good and the wait staff gave great recommendations and excellent service. The liquor was the best we have ever had in Mexico. More like what we are used to in the U.S. The entertainment in the night lounge was also above par. We didn't go to many of the night time shows as they tend to be the same thing through out Mexico. The pools were warm, and I mean walk in warm, as the weather is hot and sunny every day and the ocean breeze keeps the body cooled to just the right temp. Even the evenings were warm. No sweaters needed. Lots of great people at the pool bar to talk to and the lunch restaurants were both very good. We spent mornings on the beach under the mature palm trees and then worked our way to the pools in the mid afternoon. You cannot say enough great things about the beach its self. Perfectly clean smooth sand and one can walk the entire beach which i'm guessing is about a 3 mile round trip. Perfect morning waker upper. The surf is larger in this area, so one must be careful not to get hurt, but people still seemed to enjoy playing in the ocean. The most beautiful part of each day was sunset. People gather on the beach to bid the sun goodbye. Sit in the sand and raise your glass to a relaxing wonderful place with the best view on the beach and the best staff to make your vacation wonderful. This resort was rated 24th out of 29. REALLY? We would come back again and I have recommended Ixtapa and the Barcelo to all my friends.

Room Tip: For sure the ocean view. We liked the 8th floor and we were near the corner right side of the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Linnae55089
Ajax
Reviewed February 17, 2014

My friend and I stayed at the Barcelo for a week and although I have been to Mexico several times and to other Barcelos, I had never been to Ixtapa. I loved it there and I plan to return again sometime.

I was pretty scared due to the bad reviews. However, I found the place to be great. We went to both ala carte restaurants and they were both really good, Yes, they could have more ala carte restaurants for dinner, but I was surprised that the buffets were good, as I really don't care for buffets, other then breakfast. Thank goodness they had an ala carte restaurant for lunch and we ate there every day.

We had to change rooms because the air conditioning wasn't working and it was a simple process and then our room was perfect. The beds and pillows are so comfortable and they had a flat screen TV. We had a balcony and not an ocean view however, the back view is nice too and how much time do you spend in your room.

We had 7 days of sunshine. WE had two massages and you can get them for $20.00 US. even though they ask for $25.00 We went to ixtapa and zihuatanejo and para sailing. We went on the bike tour, played beach volleyball and ate and drank way too much. We had great service for our rooms, at the bars and restaurants and all the people were so pleasant and helpful. you can take the bus just outside the hotel and they come every minute and only 90 pescos. They let the baby turtles out into the ocean every night at 6:30 p.m. and unfortunately, only 2% of them make it. The beach is nice and the water has nice waves.

We were two girls, but if you came with a male partner there are many nice reasonable restaurants to eat at off premises and have some very romantic dinners together.

i just loved Ixtapa and if anyone complains about this place, it is because they expect things while they are away to be the same as home. If this is the case, then you need to stay home.

4 Thank Linda L
toronto
Reviewed February 17, 2014

First of all, if you are leaving from Toronto on canjet, the Feb. 5 trip lasted 8 hours, stopped in acapulco, you had to deplane and go through customs there and then get back on the plane and then on to Ixtapa. Just so you know, don't leave any belongings on the plane because they will be gone when you get back in. Now onto the resort, it was a quick and easy check in, along with a pina colada cocktail. Very nice after the flight from hell.
The rooms were fine, very small balconies, fridge was always refilled daily, the bed was extremely hard, comfy pillows, flat screen tv with enough english channels to keep you happy. We had to run our shower for about 10 to 15 minutes before we ever got hot water and the rain shower head did not give much pressure but it did the job. The elevators always ran smoothly and you never had to wait.
Food- The buffet restaurants did not have a pasta station which would have been good. The breakfast buffet was good, the dinner buffets did not have a huge variety but you could always find something to eat. Pass on the sushi restaurant unless you really love sushi. Not many people chose this restaurant. The Don Quixote restaurant was amazing, service was excellent, and the food was present extremely well. There were six of us and we all thoroughly enjoyed our meals. The cold soup was actually served in a ring of ice, very imaginative. The sunset grill barbecue was very good, they had all you can eat lobster, steak, chicken and salmon done on the barbecue, as well as a shrimp dish and baked potatoes, veggies, etc. Very good and you ate outside by the ocean with lights strung up in the trees. This is the only a la carte that the men can wear shorts to. The pool bar restaurant was a menu pick and the food was average. My chicken caesar had about one and half square inches of chicken in it so don't bother with that. The one thing we found odd was that there was no 24 hour snack bar. After dinner there is no place to get a little late night bite. One night the one waiter in the lobby bar brought around tiny bowls of popcorn.
Drinks- were excellent especially the miami vice! No complaints here.
Service-They had waitresses come to get your order around the pool which was nice or you could just go to the buffet or pool bar. The service at night was terrible and should be rectified by the hotel. You can only get a drink if you go into the disco just off the lobby. One night there were 78 people in the lobby sitting playing cards of just chatting and only one waiter, the next night they had two on. You literally were waiting sometimes for an hour to get a drink. The poor guys was run off his feet. They do not know what a spanish or irish coffee is so don't bother trying!
Pools- were a great temperature to get into, no shock of ice cold water, except for the little pool to the left of the hotel with its own private bar. That water was quite cool. We snuck over there because there was no one there and we thought it was just for the privilege members but anyone can go there. We lasted only an hour, the pool was cold and there were an awful lot of bees there, don't know why but as I am allergic, we moved back to the main pool which we enjoyed much more.
Ocean-it was as warm as a bath but very rough waters so unless you are a very strong swimmer, stick with the pool. You could bring your air mattresses into the pool so that was very relaxing.
Nature-they have a protected area right down from the pool buffet where sea turtles have laid their eggs and everyday the lifeguard comes and digs some up to release them into the ocean at dusk. It was very interesting to see the baby turtles being so carefully put into a huge plastic container and kept safe from the seagulls and pelicans. The lifeguard let a young teenage boy help him so maybe if you have kids you can ask him if your can help out. That young man seemed thrilled to be part of such an interesting venture
There is a great little flea market across the street where you can get any kind of soveneir that you would think of.
All in all it was a good trip.

2 Thank barb7torontotoronto