“We love the Mexican family atmosphere at the Qualton Club”

Qualton Club Ixtapa
Ranked #18 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed February 14, 2011

The rooms are nothing special and the beds are not very comfortable.... so we just paid a lot more on the Mayan Riviera and the beds were no better....BUT the food is really good, the entertainment, day & night, fun and the staff incredible. This is not a high rise on the beach, you don't have to 'dress' for dinner and the drinks are not watered down. We like the true mexican vacation. The location is beautiful right across from Ixtapa Island and next to playa linda with the market and beach restaurants. We also like to explore and Zihua is great or hire a cabbie and go to Barra de Posia.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank wannabestaff

Reviewed December 11, 2009

Stayed here Feb./09 for 3 weeks.
Found a deal on-line and booked flight and hotel separately for $4500, 2 ppl all included.
This is a very relaxed place to stay and the weather is perfect for getting a dark tan. Not a drop of rain or cloud in 3 weeks.
NO frills here, food was very average and lots of mexican dishes. Adult pool with swim up bar very nice.
Lots of Mexican ppl stay here on the weekends. Nightly supper fiestas were wonderful.
NOT a wild party place! Was 92 degrees every day!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mexlover49
Reviewed September 17, 2009

We stayed for a week at this hotel and were not impressed at all! Staff tried to be friendly but most of them did not speak enough english to help you with anything. The restaurants left alot to be desired as far as cleanliness, the buffet style food was terrible.
Our room was less than comfortable, beds were rock hard and pillows were lumpy. Not to mention that there was no screens on the sliding doors which were sticky and would barely open enough to allow you to get out to the balcony. The brick dividers on the balcony were moldy and falling apart and the dead and dying plants inside the brick portions were lovely!
Our bathroom was nothing more than a toilet and shower with a shower curtain seperating the two. The hole in the wall on the outside of the bathroom was super too, you could clearly see how moldy the inside of the wall was and about two days after our check in it was patched over!
Tha grounds are beautiful, the pool is nice ( when near the adult pool no one enforced the no chilren in adult pool rules) the beach is great, quite shallow for a long way out. What ever you do do not order your frozen drinks from the waitresses they have on staff .. you will get nothing but melted margeurita's! they only have one type of beer and they do not serve it in bottles, they pour it into a tiny 5 ouce plastic cup!

I WOULD NOT RECOMEND THIS HOTEL TO ANYONE IF THEY ARE LOOKING FOR AN ALL INCLUSIVE IN IXTAPA!!

BOOK NEXT DOOR AT THE MALIA HOTEL, at least they have a bit of night life, everything at Qualton closes by midnight!!

• Stayed: December 2008
3  Thank Scubadiva1377
Reviewed March 2, 2009

Front Desk/Check In, we got in at 3:00am, pretty much everyone had to be moved to different rooms after complaining, they were either not made-up, dirty, ants, no water, smelled like sewer, expected two guys to share a room with one bed, ect. It took about two days to find rooms for everyone. The front desk staff was not very helpful. Claimed there was a hostpitality room for the final day but they never gave us a chance to use it (we booked out at noon but our flight didn't leave till 2:00am). Some of the better English speaking staff were waiting on tables instead of working at the front desk.

Staff: overall very friendly, can always find someone who speaks enough english. Tipped 10-20 pesos here and there. Maid service was great.

Rooms: crappy, but I slept well in my bed and thats all that matters. Ants, gecko's, cracked tiles, no hot water.

Grounds: very pretty and well manicured.

Entertainment: poor to good, some shows were embarressing and some were really good.

Food/Booze: Food was great, loved it all, sometimes it was cold though and we were there right when it opened. Booze was good, bottles beer poured into plasic cups.

Beach: big and empty, waves were small

Pools: Always a place to sit, too loud for me, drove me nuts. Mexicans like Techno/Disco music and they like it loud. Buddy sliced his toe open on a cracked tile in the pool. The place really needs some essencial work done.

Demographic: 95% mexicans, they were fun to be around. Really kept to themselves.

Other: Market right outside the resort, you can buy it all there. A couple of cantinas there as well, Check out Tomacoon the crockidile guy Saturdays around 5:00pm, don't miss it. They guy is from anouther planet. Bus right outside the resort to town for 8 pesos. Plenty of cantinas in town to eat/drink at. Beer planet was a hoot. Zih was very relaxing compared to Ixtapa. Franks place had good Pizza and a crappy rock band but it was very fun and friendly there. Even crappy rock is good rock in Mexico. Senior Frogs is the local night club in Ixtapa, 100 peso's cover charge. young crowd. A guy in our resort got sucker punched by a local in there, according to witnesses he was minding his own business. I believed him. Some of them just don't like us. Can't blame them, some of us are pretty ignorant. I got a bad vibe at a few establishments. Did a combo tour of town and country. It was a good way to kill the day. $60USD

Overall: Went with my buddy, I would not take a lady to this resort. Not worth the headache. I prefer cuba and dominican. Food is not as good there but more culture, and I felt safer. Haven't been to mexico since 1998 and its not the same. Just seemed like they didn't want us there. If you are just looking for a place to crash then OK, however, there is no nightlife nearby. The sun was hot, beach was fine, food/booze fine. The rooms were crappy (At least fix the broken tiles so a guy does't rip his foot open) and they need an adult pool not connected to a familly pool. A pool that is quite with no kids.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank gottagetoutofhereBc
Reviewed January 19, 2009

This is the best mexican experience you can have at an all inclusive! The guests are 90% mexican.. it's a agreat immersion into the culture and language with the other guests and the staff BUT if you need to be understood there are many friendly english speaking staff. The activities & the entertainment staff are a lot of fun and make sure eveyone is included and feels welcome. The food was authentic mexican with lots of buffet selections..New Years was a fantastic meal & with a great Big Band sound! The rooms are nothing fancy but they are always clean and there's so much to do we weren't in the room much.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank wannabestaff
Reviewed January 19, 2009

i came with my family to the qualton club ixtapa, and we LOVED it!!!! but when you go don't expect much, this is a verry mexican hotel so not everyone can speek english...Be Awair...all of the staff will try the best they can to help you ubt not every thing's perfect. if you go to the infermation center the entertainment staff will do the best they can, i recomend going to see them after checking in to your hotel room, there open from 10:00-5:00 every day. now if you only came for a tan an dnot the full mexican experance that you probly wonte enjoy the true mexican food. now they try to adapt, and they try to add a little bit of american food at there snack bar. i wish i never had to leave but all vacations come to an end.

Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed April 14, 2008

Being a small town Alberta (Canada) girl, Qualton was just my flavour.

The rooms, at first, were a fright, but after a night or two, the relaxed atmosphere of the entire place grows on you, and the rooms fit right in. I loved how all the rooms have two external exits, and you aren't passing people in the hallways all the time. I also liked how there are only two levels, and several different buildings. There are many paths to take to the different rooms, so you never feel like there are alot of people there at once, even on the weekend when it is quite busy.

I do recommend the upgrade to a suite, it is definately worth it. The bed is more comfortable, the pillows aren't cottage cheeze rocks, and the inside is much nicer than the other rooms. The rooms with no view are bigger than the rooms with a view, but the view is certainly worth the cramped spaces. As the grounds are spectacular, you hardly want to spend much time in your room anyways!!! I highly recommend playing a game of volleyball, basketball, and perhaps a giant game of chess.

The entertainment staff is somewhat cheezy, but deliciously so. For being on vacation, their shows are worth sitting for. By the 5th day I became familiar with the different dancers, and started to enjoy what they brought to the stage. After the entertainment, a cab was always close at the gates to take into Ziwa or Ixtapa. Make sure you find out what the cost will be before you leave the hotel tho.

For the nights when there are a few more guests, the Hola Ola night club located on the grounds is hopping with Mexicans who are also on Vacation. I visited it one night, and was the only white person in the place, and had the best night of my entire vacation!!!! I danced so much I was pouring sweat, and once they knew I was from Canada they wanted to know all about the snow and mounties!! They were welcoming, and so unbelievabley fun!

I have to admit, the food was good.... until I ate out of the resort a time or two. I didn't enjoy the steam table food for long once I ate on the island, and had some good tacos in Ziwa.

The housekeeping staff is AMAZING!! We trudged alot of sand and slop into our room everyday, including into our bed. After they were done, there was never a spec of sand anywhere in our room!! Nothing that was laying out was ever touched.

Finally, I loved how they flew the Mexican and Canadian flags. I knew I was welcome there when I saw that!

I could write so much more, but I know when I was planning my trip, I didn't read this much... ;)

If you go, please say Hola, and tip well, they definately deserve it. We started tipping a buck or two on the first day to each staff member that asked us what we want, and by the end of the week we were well taken care of.

I loved and appreciated the laid back atmosphere of the Qualton club. It was definately a place to get centered, and have a little fun.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family