“Loved it!”

Qualton Club Ixtapa
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed March 2, 2007

I would consider my wife and I to be seasoned trvellers based on our trips to Europe, many trips to Caribbean resorts and several locations in Mexico. With the exception of our European trip (31 days), our trips are typically 2 weeks (all inclusive). Although we have stayed in 4 & 5 Star resorts, we were extremely impressed with this particular resort and property. If you're looking for a high-rise luxury resort with several fancy restaurants, this place is not for you. However, if you want a comfortable, clean and quaint resort, this is the spot. The grounds are immaculate, the rooms (although old) are very clean and bug-free. The 2 storey buildings are well located so that you are only minutes away from the pool, front lobby, lounge and restaurant. Although the dining is all buffet, we never went hungry, there is always something good to eat , even for the fussiest of eaters and there is food available all day long. The staff at the hotel was excellent. We found them to be very helpful, kind and friendly. We really couldn't ask for more. Although the weather is not something that the hotel can be held responsible for, it was fantastic! I have to say that even after 2 weeks, I still wasn't ready to come home. A vacation is what you make of it and I feel that everyone should do some research on the resort they are going to, "prior to the trip". This can definately help to reduce any chance of disappointment.

Stayed: February 2007
12  Thank Spizzy

Reviewed February 17, 2007

My husband and I went to Ixtapa Feb 6th and we were not disappointed. The weather was spectacular and the area is beautiful.

The hotel was mediocre, which is what we expected, but we were very disappointed with the food. This is the only reason my overall rating is so low. We ended up going out to eat several times, but since we got such a deal on the hotel spending the extra money didn't matter as much. We would definitely recommend Villa de la Selva for anyone looking for a fine dining experience, although it was much more expensive than most of the restaurants it was worth it!

The staff and service at the hotel was great. There was a bit of a language barrier, but we always found a way to communicate. Just like anywhere else, if you treat the staff nicely they will respond in kind. Juan at the pool bar gave exceptional service!

Our room was clean, but very basic. We never did get warm water from our shower, but I know that other people did. We didn't bother to complain as it didn't seem to be that big of a deal. We had an ocean view, which was definitely a bonus.

The grounds and pool were kept up really nicely and we liked the low-key atmosphere. You could go down to the pool anytime and find someone nice to chat with.

Definitely make a trip to Ixtapa Island, either by kayak or water taxi. The snorkeling at the coral beach there was really nice. The hotel has very limited snorkel gear, so I recommend bringing your own. You can rent it over at the island, which we did, but it is about $12/person.

The buses and taxis are safe and easy to take around. Because this hotel is farther out than most, you will definitely want to take a trip into Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo. When we go back, we may try and stay in the main hotel zone, but there are disadvantages to that too. For one, most of the hotels in the main zone are high-rises and we really liked the bungalow-style setup at the Qualton.

Overall our vacation was really great and we will definitely go back to Ixtapa!

5  Thank JJDD
Reviewed February 15, 2007

Well, I guess my title says it all.....I took my daughter of 9 years to the Qualton with me for a piece of paradise. We had the best room in the house, ocean front and had a very clean room. The showers were warm but they did not drain properly and it sometimes created issues. the maid created great towel arrangements for us everyday which my daughter loved.

As far as the resort, it had the greatest grounds and the beach front was great for walking and the ocean great for swimming which we swam in everyday. My daughter and i kayaked over to Ixtapa Island (beautiful) where we snorkled in the coral. The price for drinks was too high so I would consider bringing a small cooler over if you are staying for the day.

The evening shows were somewhat lame and only 45 minutes in length. They really need to beef this up to keep the travellers interested or they will go into town which is what we did........Sometimes difficult to do if you have small children.

The meals.....breakfast was always good and lunch was ok but dinner was not great and the buffet was less than impressive. Perhaps they could have a bar-b-que night or more of the mexican fiesta nights....really need to upgrade.....and how about that caesar salad.....that is the first thing I made when i got home from vacation. So the food was a negative aspect of the trip for sure.

It was easy to venture into the Ixtapa city centre by bus or taxi and we did both.......senior frogs was just ok not great for service, price and flavour.

The pools were noisy and packed with many Mexican vacationers. Hard to communicate with such Spanish speaking folk! Everyone very friendly but TURN DOWN THE MUSIC at the family pool please.

I have never encountered mosquitos in Mexico before but there are some here so bring some spray which we did. The fogging they did over the dinner hour put a damper on things. Best to dine after 8:00 when the fogging was done.

They need some work on the pool chairs as many are broken. Need a different method for retrieving towels....there system is weak.......

So, I would reccommend this place to others. They need to improve on their food and entertainment and things would be so much better. I want ot bring the rest of the family there at christmas next year but need the improvements made.....I hope the hotel reads these reviews!!!!!!!!!

2  Thank Keester-Keewatin
Reviewed February 13, 2007

We stayed at the Qualton club the second week of February.
It is about a one and a half hour walk to "downtown" Ixtapa but the trail is wonderful and it is great walking. You can also take the bus for 0.70$ or 6.00$ US. Worth seeing. Same Mexican shops as everywhere else but the beaches downtown are wonderful.

Across from the Qualton is Ixtapa island. You can kayak across in 20 minutes and it's free or take a boat for 3.50$ round trip. The chairs and stuff are free when you get there but they want you to buy very expenzive drinks and food. ( 6.00$ for a lemonade) It's worth the trip to snorkel but the reef is getting abused and wrecked as we speak.

The hotel grounds are beautiful, the rooms are clean but the beds are hard and our air conditioner kicked off all the time.

The staff does not speak much english which is unfortunate and the locals get special treatment over you because they can speak their language.

The food, not great. It was the same stuff every day, mystery meat in some weird sauces. Thank god for the pasta bar but even after a week you get sick of that. We went out for dinner because the food really was not that great. The food quality picked up on the weekend but still it was ok. at best.

The mosquitoes were horrendous fom 7:00 to 8:00 pm. If you got out of your room at that time you get mauled from the bugs. And if you eat after 8:00 lots of food is gone and not being replaced. So you kind of miss out.

The beach is wonderful, my 2 year old had a blast and it was very safe. We got chairs, towels and palapas everyday without any problems.

3  Thank rdparis
Reviewed February 4, 2007

First off, this is a 2 1/2 star hotel, so keep that in mind when booking. What makes this a 2 1/2 star instead of a 4 star is the food. The food is edible and decent, but it's all buffets all the time, there is a different theme every night but the cook-to-order main course was the same every night I was there: spaghetti or fettuccini noodles with your choice of stuff. And the only meat you can get with the main course is chopped ham. Now, there is a lot more stuff in the buffet, including other meat dishes, but none of it was made to order and was usually not really hot. There was always alot of fresh fruit and juices though, which was great. There is a lunch buffet where they can make you fresh burgers and hot dogs, which was probably my favorite food at the resort. At breakfast they would make omelets to order, and those were good. There was one Mexican food themed evening, and there were really good tacos; it was the best food night of the week and probably the only one I’d stay for supper for if I go to Qualton Club again.

And I may go again; because the food is pretty much the only downside to this fantastic resort. The staff are fantastic, very helpful and cheerful. Yes, not all of them are fluent with English, but most are more than passable and they will all do their best to make you happy. Juan – the pool drink serving dude – is hilarious and a great server. And he has 7 kids for chrissake, so tip him well!

Booze is great, doesn’t taste watered down. Too strong if anything, wait until after they give you your drink to tip otherwise the bartenders will make it too strong. Seriously. This is a great resort to spent time by the pool with a pina colada and kick back. A lot of beach frontage and a beautiful island off the coast (which is a nice buffer for waves) makes a beautiful relaxing stay.

Rooms were clean and decent, had no problems there. TV was a bit old and there wasn’t an alarm clock, but they’ll give you a wake-up call if you like.

If you’re the adventurous type, there are free kayaks and snorkeling equipment to use. You can kayak to a gorgeous island right off the coast in about 20 minutes, which is covered with restaurants and the best lobster I’ve ever eaten. Just make sure they fry the lobster with garlic butter instead of flame broiling it, which they’ll do by default. Fantastic, cheap seafood on this island! The Red Snapper was to die for, too.

Also on this island is a coral reef, which makes for great snorkeling. Even if you’re not into snorkeling, you can walk a couple feet off the beach and be surrounded by hundreds of large fish that will eat tortilla shells from you if you feed them.

This island totally made the trip for me, it was great to have something adventurous to do so close. If you’re not into kayaking by the way, you can take a ferry boat for $3.00 return (if memory serves on the price)

The only other bad thing I can say about the Qualton is that the nightly dancing show isn’t my cup of tea. Personally I’m not into this type of entertainment anyway, but even if you are it’s nothing to write home about.

If you’re not the type to leave the resort much, and you’re a big fan of fine cuisine, the Qualton’s not for you. Look for a four star or better.

But as for me, I loved this resort. This is a great place to chill, with a gorgeous beach and view, and the only thing that’s less than perfect is the food. If I go again, I’ll be eating breakfast and maybe lunch at the resort, but I’ll be going out on the town to check the restaurants in Ixtapa most evenings… or maybe to the island for the fantastic seafood. Which is fun to do anyway, and cabs are cheap to Ixtapa. Even assuming you'll eat out in the evenings, the Qualton is still reasonably priced for an all-inclusive with good breakfasts, lunches, and poolside drinks.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank Cleeve
Reviewed January 29, 2007

Just returned from the Qualton Club had a lovely time, the area has lot's to do, just jump on the bus and for pennies you can get around and see the area. The rooms are clean but really need to be painted and updated the bathrooms smell a little, but you get what you pay for. The grounds are a dream they work hard to keep them so. The pools are both nice, chairs need replacing, never had trouble getting a towel, drinks are fine. There is no animation team to organize activities I was a little disappointed about that. The views around the hotel are wonderful and what can I say about the sunsets gorgeous. Go to the Island you won't be sorry, you only have to order a drink and they are happy for you to sit in their chairs all day. The nature reserve over the road will keep you fit and you can see all kinds of birds. The food at breakfast was good Lunch was ok, but dinner was awful just warmed over leftovers it seemed but its saving grace was the pasta station, I felt I did not get any real authentic Mexican food. The staff were great they helped whenever they could, they all work very hard. Would I personally go back no I think it is worth paying a little more for a better room and Food. If you go to the Qualton expect a Motel style room with beautiful grounds nice pools great views, friendly people mostly Canadian or Mexican. go in to town for a few evening meals which are marvelous by the way you will be ok.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed January 26, 2007

I loved Ixtapa and Zihu and would it recommend to everyone. The hotel however I wouldn't recommend at this time.

The grounds are gorgeous and it really is situated in a wonderful area but the rooms are in need of a serious upgrade and the food was just aweful.

Pool: They have two pools which are both really nice. They were not crowded at all and the temperature was perfect. However a number of guest did get a rash which my doctor said is often to do with the chemicals they put in the pools in Mexico so I would recommend taking so sort of antihistamine with you.

Staff: the breakfast staff were very good but the lunch and dinner were sometimes understaffed. Most speak enough English for you to communicate with them and they are happy to help you along with your attempts at speaking Spanish.

Rooms: Pretty basic but what can you expect for the price. The beds were like a rock and I would suggest bringing your own pillow. Our airconditioner was very noisy and broke on numerous occasions but it was fixed right away. They were changing some of the drain pipes so the bathrooms smelled a few days also. Other than that they were very clean and the maid left nice flower arrangements in the room.

Food: Breakfast was nice, but you had to fill up because lunch and dinner was complete slop. They just over cook some forms of meat and stick it in sauce. Even the staff admit that the food is bad and is not representative of Mexican cusine whatsoever. This is the main reason I woulnd't go back to the resort because I found myself sick a few days from the food and eating only bread and crackers for the rest of the trip.

Beach: The beach is pretty decent. It's not blue water and soft sand but heck after a while I realized that really didn't matter. The water was lovely and warm and was shallow for quite a ways out. They also have free kayaks and mini-sailboats for you to take out for free. I saw the dolfins while kayaking one morning.

The towns: Zihu is a beautiful place!!!!! you have to go visit. It is just a little fishing town with a nice beach, giant market and lots of great places to stop and eat. But its worth the $0.80 bus ride just for the scenery.
Ixtapa is the hotel district and has more modern shops and the beach their is the best that I saw. Lots of nice soft sand and it goes for miles.
Playa Ropa is nice but not really a must see. It was a little dirty and its just a lessor version of Zihu.

Activities:
The Adventure Park was the best part of the trip. It was $45US and that included 2 drinks afterwards and a 45min high ropes couse in the jungle and it has Mexico's largest zipline!
Parasailing was a blast and you get a nice view of the islands. It was $25US off the beach.

Massage was $10 for 1/2hr....try and go earlier on before the lady gets too tired from working all day.

Ixtapa Island is a MUST. its only $3.50 return boat ride over and they have one side that is a lovely beach for swimming and the other is perfect for snorkling. They let you sit in the chairs and loungers for free too, just maybe buy one drink or tip them a little and they are happy.

Crocidiles: there is this crazy one eyed guy who puts on a crocidile show everyday at random times and it is really fun to see. He feeds them chickens and fish and stands on the crocs and stuff....a real nutter!

Bodega (aka Walmart) is the cheapest place to buy anything. I even found a few things I bought at the market that I thought I got a good deal on for a few bucks cheaper. The alcohol is definately cheapest there too. About $8.00US for 1litre of Bacardi.

The weather was fantastic and I will definately return to Ixtapa however next time I will shell out the extra cash to stay next door at the fabulous Melia!

Hope that helps :)