“Couldn't have asked for better”

Holiday Inn Resort Ixtapa
Ranked #16 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed October 8, 2005

I have stayed in Ixtapa before at Las Brisas and it was perfect, but I thought what the heck, for less money I could stay at a place that was all-inclusive. I was absolutely happy. I had read some of the reviews posted hereand let me tell you the bad ones are WRONG! First of all remember you are in Mexico. People expect service and things to be like they are in the states and that just isn't so.

The food was great. Breakfast was incredible, fresh pastries, made to order eggs and the orange juice!!! The staff was very nice, friendly and attentive. I could not have asked for a better stay. Just remember the hotel is 25 years old, the humidity will kill most people and you are in a foreign country. The town itself is beautiful and the people very nice. Please go there and stay here, you will not be disappointed!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2005
21  Thank BigLawyer
Write a ReviewReviews (1,271)

Chicago, IL
Reviewed August 28, 2005

My husband & I stayed at this hotel for a little over a week and we had a great time. The rooms are a little older, but the bed is so comfortable & room is CLEAN! The hotel as a whole is very, very clean. We have gone & stayed at other hotels and this one is the most clean hotel we have ever been to. There is always a guys sweeping a moping the floor, making sure everything is clean. There are no nasty bugs running around and the food is damn good, try having their ceviche by the pool it is good. The staff is just so warm and friendly. We loved it so much I highly recommend it and I am very picky person and hard to please, so I can definitely tell you that this hotel is the place to stay.

• Stayed: October 2004
18  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago,Illinois
Reviewed August 4, 2005

I stayed at the intercontental jun 12 til the 18th it was a good hotel for the price! the daily beach/ water sports were fun! they kept me and my friends entertained! the only bad thing was that the airconditioner in my room was a little broken but it wasnt unbearable! The karaoke and disco at night were a blast! if your big on partyin this is a great hotel to stay in jus because senor frogs is located across the street! and carlos and charlies jus a few blocks down! The only downside is if your plannin on traveling in june go before the 20th because we heard that they send jus bus loads of mexican teenagers there for the weekends! the thuresday i was there the mexican teenagers were coming in on buses and were very loud and obnoxious drunks! but what 18 year olds arent right? This really is a nice hotel the food is average but u can eat as much as u want at anytime the staff is always friendly and willing to bring u a drink the deli at night is great to come back to at 3 in the morning and eat pizza after a long night of partying! Ive been alll around mexico and this was definatly the safest place ive ever been to the beach at night was safe w/ a hotel guard on duty and i was on the beach late at night and it was only my group of friends no creepy townies! I really recommend this place for all ages!

• Stayed: June 2005
30  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Vancouver
Reviewed June 20, 2005

About this hotel, the only thing I can tell you is DO NOT GO THERE!! Spend your money wisely in either a real 5 star hotel or save money at one of the small hotels in Ixtapa.

I do not consider myself a picky person, but Presidente Intercontinental really was a bad choice.

It is not client service oriented hotel. The staff do just what they are told and nobody seems to understand their policies. It is clear that their guests do not come first.

Rooms – Need to be updated, and if you are not paying big money to have a view, they will send you back to the parking lot side of the hotel. I saw many people yelling in the front desk complaining about their rooms.

Beach – Beach is nice, but do not get excited, even when you are a guest they will not allow you to sit in their chairs!!!, these chairs are reserved for special guest with room views that never actually use them by the way. As a result, most of the chairs are free anyway, so even if there is nobody there you can not use the chairs.

Parties and featured restaurants- When I arrived the first thing I tried to do was book my dinner in advance, but they told me ALL the restaurants, except for the main buffets, were already book for 5 days. I was staying only for 4! Then I wanted to go to the Mexican party but as well it was booked already.

Buffet.- Bad, bad, bad, you feel like you are eating a jail menu, more mediocre and poorly presented you can not find. The food did not have flavor at all, not even salt, the salads where all watery, and the deserts yikes! This place is really taking advantage of the guests. Either they get bad quality supplies or they must be slaving their cookers because the food was uneatable, besides that, my husband got very sick.

Service- This was the most frustrating part of my vacation. There is nothing worse than having to deal with unreasonable people when the only thing you want is to have a relaxing and fun vacation.

If you have a group of more than 4 people, forget about having meals together at the same table. They just will not put 2 tables together, that is it!

It was Christmas night and my parents and I had to have dinner at a different table than my brother and sister. That is insane!! We talked with the manager and he said that was the policy and that he could not change it. Even though the table beside us was only 4 feet away and empty, he would not put them together!

And the last but not least irritation was when my parents had dinner in one of the restaurants and ordered a second dessert, they told them ”NO”. I really cannot imagine how a hotel that claims “to know what it takes”, can be that rude and cheap with their guests.

• Stayed: January 2005
16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Oshkosh, WI
Reviewed June 15, 2005

We stayed at the hotel March 11-18th 2005. The rooms were pathetic, we didn't even have a clock. Had to pay for bottled water in your room as there is a charge for room service now. Was so sick had to stay in the room for 2 1/2 days. The hamburger we were in the middle of eating was raw and green inside! I was snorkeling in the pool and found a big ball of feces in the pool and after 30 minutes a guest removed it as the staff didn't!

It was basically a huge disappointment and we had heard such great things about it. Maybe it was the week we were there?

The hotel did give us 3 nights/4 days free stay to go back... not sure we want to though?

• Stayed: March 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tulsa
Reviewed May 27, 2005

Don't listen to these other people when they say the hotel wasn't worth it! The rooms are older but they are always clean. What else do you need?! I, for one, don't fly to Mexico in January to sit in my room. I go to enjoy the weather and the beach! As long as you have what you need in your room and it's clean, who cares if it's not decorated in 5 star hotel style! The food is good and there is plenty of it. Unless you are an extremely picky person, like some of these people, you can always find something you'll like. It's nice to have the choice to eat casually or make a reservation and dress up for the evening. I never had a problem getting a chair on the beach and I wasn't up at 6:am to get one either! We normally got up around 8:am and then had breakfast before heading to the beach. The hotel staff is amazing and are willing to do practically anything to please you. I can't believe when some say they were treated badly. They must be the type who make a big deal out of everything and most likely weren't very kind themselves. The mexican fiesta is a blast! There is a lot of authenic food to sample and they bring the shopping to you. I actually didn't see any reason at any time that someone would have to leave the hotel unless they wanted to sightsee of course. Overall, the presidente isn't a 5 star establishment but in my mind it's very impressive. Between the staff, the beauty, the cleanliness and the wonderful beach, service and food, what's not to love? I strongly suggest this hotel and will be going back myself this November! I can't wait!

• Stayed: January 2002
24  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Snowmass Village, Colorado
Reviewed May 2, 2005

My boyfriend and I visited the Presidente April 16th thru the 23rd, 2005. We were greeted by a friendly staff and even upgraded from a regular garden view room to one with a balcony at no cost.

Upon check in, we received a sheet listing the dates each restaurant is open for that week. However, the week on the sheet ended half way through our trip and we never received an updated sheet. So we had to ask concierge each day what restaurants were open. There are three enclosed locations and two patios that serve as the "restaurants." Between breakfast, lunch and dinner, each location becomes a different meal and restaurant. Restaurant choices included the following:

Breakfast: typically consisted of fruit, eggs, beans, pancakes, omlettes, pastries, and juice/coffee.
Outdoor patio #1: Buffet Style
Enclosed Restaurant: Buffet Style
Semi-Enclosed Restaurant: Buffet style

Lunch: Buffets included fruit, soup, fish, beef, chicken, mixed seafood, rolls, vegetables, and potatoes.
Outdoor patio #1: served nachos, hamburgers and hotdogs
Enclosed Restaurant: Buffet Style
Semi-Enclosed building: Buffet Style

Dinner: Buffets served nearly the same as the lunch buffets, with variations in the protien and vegetable dishes and the soup. Dessert available.
Italian: Patio #1 (open 3-4 times a week) BY RESERVATION ONLY
French: Patio #2 (open 3-4 times a week) BY RESERVATION ONLY
Sushi/Martini bar* (once a week) RESV. REQ.
Steak (once a week) (not sure where it was served because it was the same night at the Sushi/Martini Bar, and that's where we ate.) RESV. REQ.
Buffet Style Dinner: Enclosed Restaurant NO RESV. REQUIRED
Buffet Style Dinner: Semi-Enclosed Restaurant NO RESV. REQUIRED
Outdoor Mexican Fiesta held on Saturday nights. Decent food. Didn't have to wait long in lines.

*The sushi restaurant/Martini bar kind of sucked. If you are used to sushi in the USA, you will be disappointed with Mexican sushi. You have a choice between 4 rolls. The cream cheese in one of the rolls made it taste gross. You also only had a choice between 3 types of martinies: chocolate, apple, and mango. I had the apple and was disappointed in it (appletinies are one of my favorite drinks, too).

The one thing you definately could not go wrong with is the fruit. It was delicious.

Make sure you book a reservation in the morning. We were not able to book reservations any earlier than the same day that restaurant was open.
The fancy restaurants will not let you in without a reservation. Even though they didn't look busy, we still were not allowed in.

I kind of got sick of the food that was available to us because there was no variation to it. By the end of the trip, all I wanted was a B.L.T. sandwich. One night my boyfriend and I went across the street to Domino's. Thankfully it tasted just like one from the US. We did have the pizza from the room service menu as well. It wasn't too bad, but definately not Domino's. The room service menu (served after 11:oo pm) was limited and an extra $2.50 USD.

There are tons of restaurants available close to the Presidente and around Ixtapa. We went to Ixtapa Island one day and had a shrimp cocktail and a pineapple colada (pina colado served inside of a gutted pineapple...yum!).
Visit Coral Beach on the island and look at the rocks to see crabs.

As far as liquor goes, some sort of bar is open practically all day. I am a foo-foo drinker (margaritas, sex on the beach, anything with juice), and was somewhat disappointed with my usual drinks because the juice and mixers that are used are very, very SWEET. Drinks with milk (white russian) were gross. Amereto sours and rum & cokes were my favorites. My boyfriend took to their red beers (beer with tomato juice) and the Coronas.

Faucet water inside of the rooms is safe, however we did not drink it. We did drink ice water at all of our meals and did not get sick. They had a water dispenser by the bar at the pool, which was nice.

As far as everything else goes: the front desk staff knew the best english and were very nice. Don't bother to bring beach towels because they provide nice, big ones. You can barter with the street vendors, and if you pretend to be very indifferent or claim to only have so much money, they will go very low on their prices. The room did smell musty, but what do you expect? It's humid in Ixtapa. We left the a/c on in our the entire stay and it felt good to walk into the room after soaking up the sun. Room service did a great job and even left cute pictures on our pillow cases made of flower petals. We did get munched on by mosquitoes, but that was mostly at night when we walked across the grass. The beach is amazing. Finding two available beach chairs was never a problem. The resort never seemed that busy, however, it did get busier towards the weekend. Yes, the beds are hard as a rock, but we hardly noticed because by the end of the day we were so pooped. The activities staff was great! Available activities included volleyball, horseshoes, bingo, bike rides, tennis, snorkeling, salsa lessons, water aerobics, darts, karioke (?), a Vegas night, dance show, etc.

Make sure you go exploring. Bus rides are a lot cheaper than taxies and can take you wherever. Taxi ride from Ixtapa to Zihuatanejo cost 40 pesos. Bus ride one way from Ixtapa to the beach across from Ixtapa Island cost 7 pesos. Ferry to the island was 30 pesos. Most places will accept US dollars (at the rate of 10 pesos=$1) and give you pesos as change.

I hope this helps anyone who is alittle aprehensive about going to the Presidente, especially with all of the other reviews out there. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me.

• Stayed: April 2005