“I will stay again”

Ranked #16 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
“I will stay again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I recently stayed at this resort with a group of people.
Cons: the rooms were dated some of them smelled musty. Not all rooms have patios or mini fridges but they were clean. They have 6 restaurants but only 1 restaurant plus buffet was open per night. Had a few problems with air conditioner but they did send someone right away to fix the problem. It was hard to get drinks in the morning (besides the restaurant). We had some couples who were not happy with their rooms but the front desk was right on top of helping them find another one. Entertainment was average. They have a Martini and sushi bar that we were very excited about but it is only open 1 day a week and of course we were on a tour that evening. No wifi available in rooms.

Pros: The service was great!!!! Jorge the concierge is willing to go above and beyond for his guests. The wait staff in the restaurants and bars was good. Some of the waitstaff I really enjoyed were Carlos, Tomas, and the whole crew at the swim up bar (really made you feel welcome). The food in which ever restaurant was open that night was very good. Free wifi in lobby. Beautiful beach, great location, nice clean pool. The location was great. Shopping and restaurants were right accross the street.

To wrap this up, this resort is a fair rating. I would recommend this resort and I do think it is a good value. You just need to know what to expect for your vacation.

p.s. This is a family resort.

Room Tip: rooms with 1 bed have larger patios. Rooms with 2 beds may not have a patio at all. Ocean front room...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Yaegergal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
edmonton, Alberta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

If you are planning a vacation and are thinking of staying here, you may want to think again. While there is nothing physically wrong with this hotel, it is clean, staff are pleasant, what you see on the website and what actually is are not the same. The beds are very hard, so hard I woke during the night as my arms were asleep and every morning my hips were sore. When the air conditioner kicks in, it sounds like a jet engine (Room 3225). While the site says there are 6 restaurants, they are not all open. There is only two open at a time and as for the ala carte, Italian/French on alternating nights but with the same menu. Lunch - buffet or snack bar (hot dog, burger, nachos). The buffet had 7 items, salad bar, and dessert. Pool bar is the only bar open during the day and the sports bar is the only bar at night. There is only entertainment on Friday/Sat and if you stay for 2 weeks, you get to see the same show twice. Bottles of water have to be requested through room service, and a pot of coffee to you room is 300 pesos per person. There is only internet in the lobby so you can facetime your family at the same time as everyone else, no privacy and kids are there playing their games. Hotel caters more to locals than CDN/US. Resort is quiet Tues-Thur but come Friday it is overun with local families and while I chose to go to the "Quiet Pool" away from the kids pool and central pool, it was not enforced and was full of screaming, splashing children - not a good place to try and relax and read. There is NO yoga as advertised, but there is a small gym but the eliptical is not fully functional but they do not provide cleaner to wipe off the equipment after you use it so whatever you touch is covered by someone elses sweat - ewwww. The food was ok, but mostly Mexican and alot of the same type of stuff. I ate fruit/yogurt/granola every morning as I did not want to start with beans, and mostly ate salad for dinner. We ate out at least 5 times just for a change. I found it a long two weeks at this resort as there was not many activities or entertainment and with all the families with children it was very noisy and non relaxing. I would not stay here again nor would I recommend it to others. It is a nice hotel, with a nice view but I would stay elsewhere.
\

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sallyros
Presidente_Ixtapa, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Ixtapa, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your comments in TA. Guest feedback is very important for us and it helps us to increase our standards and to do our work better.

Our buffet menus are established on 15 days rolling schedule and our a la carte menu changes every 3 months so it is complicated to repeat the same menu during your stay. The Room service is complimentary with just a delivery charge of $30 pesos (less than U$ 2,5 American dollar), nothing to compare with the 300 pesos per person and you can check it in the Room Service menu. The breakfast buffet offers: 6 different hot dishes (including Waffle o Pancake), eggs station to prepare omelet a la minute, fresh fruits, cereals and breakfast pastry…

About the Gym, the elliptical mother board was damaged and we had to buy a new one. About yours comment about the cleaner, thank you very much we will apply it. And in reference of the activities, we offer: beach volley ball, beach soccer, aqua aerobics, ping pong, bingo etc… And At night we always have an activity: shows, karaoke, casino night, live music etc…
We are sorry that we do not meet your expectations and we hope you will give us another opportunity in the future.

SMC

Travelers are raving about these Ixtapa hotels

Silver City, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had a wonderful balcony room near the top of the "tower" - breathtaking views and sunsets. The staff was all very friendly and willing to help with any question. We enjoyed the 20 km bike ride one morning, and water aerobics another day. The food had plenty of variety so that everyone could find something to their liking. We only ate one meal outside the hotel - lunch in Zihuatanejo one day, and had plenty to eat and drink. I thought it was a good value for the amount we paid, and I have been to Playa Del Carmen plus one other time in Ixtapa for comparison.

Room Tip: I recommend the ocean view rooms with a balcony.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travel_rabbit_NM
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

You people from the USA have way too high of expectations, chill- this resort and the destination is excellent. The service was simply amazing and I have stayed at all-inclusives all around the globe- the only one that was comparable was in Playa del Carmen at the Gran Porto Real.

Food- was great- you will always find something at the buffet- and you do not have to make reservations with fine dining.....and the food was outstanding along with the service. Ask for the stuff that you don't see- like bacon, they do have it. Water is like gold too, they would rather serve you beer... if you are leaving the grounds, call room service and they will bring you bottles, they have a fridge in the room but they do not stock it.

Beach- the water is fun with the huge waves, current is a bit strong just don't leave your small children in there alone, our kids 13, 15 and 17 were in there most of the day....
no rocks, shells, just breathtaking and very warm- great walking beach too!

Beach service was outstanding, they will come around every 10 minutes with drinks, they know what you need. They certainly do not expect a tip, but I gave them $10 on the first day and wow, did I feel like a queen, I didnt have to move my tush the entire week.- sane service throughout the resort.

Pool- clean, fun, pool bar is what you would expect. if you have kids, they can be in the same pool swimming while you have a few drinks.

Lobby bar- a different theme each night- it gets loud, but they shut down at midnight. bring earplugs if you hit the hay early and you will be fine.

Room- no issues... the tower will have a great view of the water but you have to take the elevator which I don't care for, the other rooms below will have garden view- which is perfect

Resort- the only thing I will mention is that the resort will fill up on the weekends with the locals and they bring the entire family with them- grandmas, and the 6 kids under the age of 6, so lots of screaming babies, then they leave on Sunday- so a good idea to leave the resort these days- they are loud and don't seem to be considerate when others are sleeping- they like to party- with babies on the lap....

Bus and taxi is cheap- taxi $5 USD into town- bus is under $1- Ixtapa Island is worth checking out- vendors are all over the place trying to sell you stuff on the beach. The market is across the street selling the same stuff- same price- doesn't matter where you go- just barter,

It is what you make it- if you are good to them, they are even better to you- have fun- I would send anyone to this resort in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Charlene A
Presidente_Ixtapa, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Ixtapa, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your comments in TA. I appreciate that you give a full feedback of your experience in the Hotel with a lot of details. We are very happy that you enjoy your vacations and we will be more than happy to welcome you again.

Thank you for recommend our resort.

Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

I don't know where you'all other reviewers were but it wasn't the same resort we were at.We stayed at the Presidente for two weeks and never ate anywhere else-not once. The property is a bit dated, we were advised to avoid the tower so we took a "garden view" on the quiet side of the property and really liked it.On the second day I asked the maid to scrub around the bathtub because of some mold there-the caulking was removed and replaced within the hour. There was constant maintenance of the property, including installation of wifi for the rooms.
We loved the variety of mexican food and I had the best piece of beef in recent memory( I buy my meat at local butcher shops) at the French dining night. Addmitedly the French, Italian,and sushi meals were not as good as the Mexican meals we had,the beach B.B.Q. was great!
The staff was great and did not expect to be tipped. Because Ixtapa is a Federal Tourist Zone, you can feel confident the area to be safe, clean, green,and staff and vendors to be polite.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DMDSJM
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to post your comments in TA. Your feedback is very important for us to improve our service day by day. I will work with the Chef and his team to make some change in the menu of the A la Carte Restaurant.

We truly appreciate your support and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Woodbury, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have been to Mexico 10 years in a row - we have never experienced anything like this before. We are not picky people by any means. My husband and I work very hard all year round to enjoy a warm vacation. We have been to Riviera Maya, Cancun, Playa Del Carmen, Mazatlan, Cozumel, Puerto Vallarta, and Ixtapa (at the Azul). This by far was the worst food we have ever eaten! There was only one restaurant open for each meal which was ridiculous. I have never been to a hotel where there was no guacamole offered at any of the restaurants. I had to ask for guacamole, one day I was given it, another day, I was told there were no more avocados! SERIOUSLY??? We are in Mexico - how do you run out of avocado? The breakfast buffet - AWFUL! There was never a variety. Same thing everyday and it was not good. You had to ask for bacon - never before did we ever have to ask for bacon! There was no toaster or bread available except for dinner rolls to eat. There was no cereal except once in a great while - depending on which restaurant happened to be open that morning. We had our 11 year old son along this time and he could only eat pancakes because there was nothing else to choose from. I think they had sausage maybe two days, other than that - no protein other than eggs! Lunch - well, pretty much the same thing - AWFUL! No variety - same thing everyday. Once in a while we would head over to the hamburger/hotdog area just to have something that tasted edible. I do have to say the french fries were really good - but who can live on that grease? Dinner - honestly, not sure what to say about that. If they had the sit down meals - switched between Italian/French they weren't bad - the steak (or as my husband called it shoe leather) was not edible. He used a steak knife and could not get through it. One night at the French restaurant he had pork chops, it was ice cold and tough! The nights they did not offer the menu meals they had a bar-b-que on the beach - nothing edible again. Steak - shoe leather and the rest of the food was awful! The Mexican buffet night was a complete disappointment. We really thought hmmmm, we are in Mexico this has to be good -NOPE! the food was a total disappointment. We went back upstairs to our room and ate our snacks we brought with us. The last night we finally decided we needed to eat something edible. We called Dominos across the street just to get something we could eat (we don't even eat Dominsos at home) but we were so hungry. This was the best meal of the entire week - thank you Dominos!!!!! To add insult to injury, we checked out the next day and were charged $1.40 for making a local call - to Dominos across the street!

Entertainment - the kids aren't allowed to play beach volleyball???? Really??? This is supposed to be a family resort and the kids can't play? I'm not bragging but my kid is actually a pretty good athlete and could keep up with any one of those players - it's not a professional game people.

The music skipped constantly so that sucked! When they actually played music!

We asked for some change from the front desk (we had pesos) we wanted to be able to tip the pool waiters because they are actually great - Carlos in particular - love him! They didn't have change to offer us! Then, I asked on the last day if I could get change for my $5.00 bill, they didn't even have change for that!

Obviously, this resort is hurting - they must make a deal for the local people on Friday - Sunday. It is impossible to find a spot to sit by the pool and the pool bar is always full (even with children)!

Air conditioner ran continuously and if it got about 75 that's pushing it.

It is really sad we had to upgrade and pay an extra $500.00 just to get a balcony and fridge. We have never had to do this before. We were told before booking you could either get a balcony OR a fridge - REALLY????

It's really too bad. The place was nice and pretty clean for the most part. We didn't have hot water much but oh well - I complained enough on this - I think you get the idea. If you are going to spend the money to enjoy your trip, don't go here.

We obviously were really disappointed on our week vacation - we both feel like we were ripped off of a nice family vacation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Kimberly T
Presidente_Ixtapa, General Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Ixtapa, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate that you publish your first comments in TripAdvisor. For us your feedback is very important to improve our service and our installation.

Regarding your comments, basically the food and beverage were an issue. Our buffets are scheduled on 10 days to give to our guest a better selection of food. Of course our buffets are based on: fish, beef, pork, chicken, vegetables, rice, beans, pasta … And the chef and his team work hard to prepare theses basic ingredients in different hot dishes. As well you will find the salad buffet, an a la minute dish (every days) and a selection of desserts. And sometimes when we have some guest with special diet, we prepare their food a la minute… So maybe if during your stay, you had share to our F&B department your inconformity, it will be a pleasure to assist you!!!

The kids have a Kids Club with specials activities all the day long and in our Chiqui Club they have their own Volleyball court, minigolf, playground etc… If you want play beach volleyball with your kids you are more than welcome (our Activity Team will provide you a ball) but we must respect also the schedule of the activities for the adults guest. I am sure you will understand that sometime it is better to split the adult activities from the kids ‘activities to avoid any accident…

About your upgrade, you do not have to pay for the balcony or for the fridge, you just have to pay because you decided to have an upper category of room which is quite normal in any resort or hotel in the world. And generally when a hotel is with high occupancy, it is complicated to find your spot even if the hotel has more than 100 palapas... And as a hotel for family, it is normal to find some kids at the pool bar where they can order their drinks!!!

We are very sorry that you and your friends do not enjoy our resort and be sure I will work with my team to give a better impression to our guests.

Savanna
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have stayed in the Riviera Maya area 3 times, Puerto Vallarta once and the Dominican once. All were far better than this place.
Anybody who says this is a great resort must have never been anywhere else. It might have been good years ago but the occupancy rate was about 30 percent so there was only one restaurant open each night. Friday, Sunday and Tuesday were Italian nights with the same exact menu. Saturday and Monday were French. Same menu. The buffets consisted of about 8 metal warming pans which held about the same thing every day. How many ways can you serve beef? Lunch buffets were no better. Breakfast buffet only had sausage 2 days of the week. We didn't know they had bacon until the second day we were there. Come to find out they keep it hidden under the counter and only give it to you if you ask. Bottled water has to be delivered to your room where they expect a tip. Maximum of 4 bottles per day.
Want ice? Good luck if the bars aren't open.
We heard many people talking about "worst resort ever".
Because they are only at 30 percent occupancy it isn't our fault. Maybe they should put it on their website that they have only one restaurant open per day.
Pool bar was full of kids sitting at the bar everyday. Anyplace we have ever been before, the kids were not allowed at the pool bar.
When we got to he resort our sliding door didn't lock. 3 mornings in a row we had no hot water. Luke warm only. We would just turn the hot water on, no cold, and take a quick shower. When we talked to the front desk they had maintenance come. They said we had to leave it run longer. The next day we let it run for 40 minutes. No hot water yet. I guess they meant longer than that. Some people in our group had mold in their A/C, sliding door wouldn't open. When we asked about a room upgrade they told us it would be an additional $60.00 per night. I would have thought with the low occupancy they would be happy to accommodate people. Not so. Entertainment was poor. Karaoke in Spanish. A guy playing a saxophone to background music??
All in all it reminded us of a hotel going downhill. Probably because of the economy but we were misled to believe it was a top notch place. Not so. If they were totally honest on their website, they would have few people staying there.
The grounds were clean and the staff was friendly but wanted tips got everything they did. We ended up eating off the resort which cost us extra money. For the money we spent off the resort we could have went to the Riviera Maya area and had a really nice place. Oh well, live and learn.

• Stayed March 2013
5 Thank SSIYC
Dear guest,

We appreciate you take your time to post your first feedback in TA. Your comments are very important for us. As you can see a lot of our guest who put their feedback has the opportunity to stay in other hotel in Mexico and in the world, and they have a different point of view. But the most important for us is to improve our service and our installation with all the comments we received.

As your group of friends, you had an issue with our selection of food and with the flavor of our dishes. Our buffets are designed with 8 chaffing dish and generally 4 are for the meat (beef, chicken, pork, fish or seafood) and the other 4 are for the side dish (vegetables, pasta, rice, potatoes, beans etc…). We offer also a la minute dish, the salad bar, 2 soups and a choice a delicious dessert. The restaurants a la carte (French restaurant, Italian restaurant and Sushi & Martini) are opened with a special schedule so our guest will not be complaining to have always the same restaurant a la carte opened during all the week. One thing you maybe forget, it is you do not have to make any reservation for the a la carte restaurant and you are not limited the number of time you want to go…

The occupancy of the resort had nothing to do with our level of service and neither with any upgrade. We always work to keep our level of service and offer the same quality.
We are truly sorry that you do not enjoy your stay in our hotel and we hope you will give us another opportunity in the future to show you our improvement.