“Do not eat or stay at this hotel!!!!”
Review of Krystal Ixtapa

Krystal Ixtapa
Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed November 2, 2011

Well, I just thought I would tell everyone about our trip to Ixtapa on the 5th of April this year. We arrived in Zihuantenajo on time, and so we arrived at the Krystal on time also. Checked into our room ,the Krystal staff were not so nice unfortunately, they made us feel like we interrupted their day by checking in, I mean really, how dare we disturb them???
The beach area was kept clean, and there were plenty of seats available, so we were happy about that. After a bit, we went to eat. We did the all inclusive package . The food was okay the first night, they had some Mexican, and they tried some Canadian. We did not really care because it was the first night and we were really tired anyway.
Our room was clean enough, as long as the bed and bathroom were clean, I really did not care. The rest of our holiday there, the bed was always clean and so was the bathroom.
From that first night on, some things just got worse at the Krystal. Every day the food was the same. Not just the same food, but the actual food from the meal before was re-used for 2 to 3 meals after that!! Our potatoes for breakfast were also the potatoes at lunch and supper, or supper that night and then the next breakfast, they would just add more stuff to try to hide the re-used food. The meat and pasta from lunch was then the meat for supper and then soup the next day, also main meat in the next lunch too. It got so bad we could not eat there. We asked if we could use the fridge, because they keep the fridges in your room locked. We went out for supper and ordered extra for a snack later because the Krystal does not have any snacks available, we were also going to get some food and bring it to our room for lunches so we could at least have something fresh every day. Well, we made 3 calls to the front desk to unlock our fridge, and they never did. We were also informed if we use the fridge we had to pay a $5.00 US per day rental for it. While we were being informed of the rental, we were also informed that we could use the coffee pot in our room, but had to pay for our coffee and anything we may have used from the fridge if it were to be unlocked. We were aloud 1 bottle of water between the 2 of us per day in our room, and that was that. So the snacks we brought back to our room went bad because they never did unlock the fridge.....was I happy??? NOPE!!! We ( and a few others ) complained large!! And most of us were already getting stomach issues because of this food we had eaten at this hotel.
Thank god for our West Jet reps because they not only told us where we could get some good food, but told us how to get there. One rep ( Ulises) took us down to where the safest food was supposed to be. Most of the people that were at the Krystal were in these same restaurants everyday too, most would not eat at the hotel anymore. None of us were happy about the re-used food we were being served. Our West Jet reps were busy with all of us for meals that’s for sure!!! The last couple days we were there, we were tired because we were not well , and so spent a little more time at the hotel and decided to try to eat there again. Well the food was the same as it was when we got there originally!!! We ate it anyway trying mostly soups hoping it would help. Big mistake!! We both ended up getting sicker ...........we spent the first week at home on prescription medication because of how sick we were!!! It was not good!!! We also found out that alot of the other guest also spent the first 5 days home on meds because of the food in the Krystal, they too were really mad!! I can tell you, if it were not for the West Jet reps we had at our hotel, we would never known where to go for good safe meals because the hotel food was horrible, the hotel only served some beverages as all inclusive, not a very good list to choose from either, and we would never have found any good shopping either, cause the front desk people did not want to talk to you about the area either. When I tried to ask them, they only said that “our West Jet Vacation advisers would be back the next day and we could ask them.” Not so helpful if you ask me!! They really did not want to talk to any of the guests at all as we heard this same comment from the others we met there.
The Krystal is also the ONLY hotel in Ixtapa that does not do currency exchange for its guests. We had to find the bank and do it that way. They did tell us at the front desk that we had to go to the bank and that we had to take a photo copy of our passport with us and a second picture ID also. So we took our passports to the front desk to copy for the bank. Weeeeelllllll, they used recycled paper to make the copies which we thought was okay, we then walked 20 mins to get to the bank to find out that they will not take recycled paper, and that the hotel had been told. Back we walked for another 20 mins to get another copy. The front desk then said they only do 2 free copies, then we have to buy them. The 2 free ones they did on recycled paper, so we took our passports because by this time, we were getting angry and just wanted to go get some breakfast cause we were hungry.

So between the lack of friendly people ( and that is a large lack ), and the crappy food ( more like toxic food), I would not recommend this hotel as an all inclusive, or as a good holiday spot. Ixtapa itself is ok I guess, but not the Krystal!!
We will never stay at a Krystal anywhere ever again, this was the worst experience EVER!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: There are none, just do not pay for ocean view as it is a farce...............
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Allieoop1

Reviewed October 25, 2011

I spent 4nights/5days at the Krystal Ixtapa as a single adult in November, 2009. It was a much need vacation and what a pleasant surprise the service was! My room had a breathtaking view of the Pacific Ocean and the balcony was panoramic. The guys that work the pool and beach areas as well as the outdoor dining venues were outstanding. I never had to wait on anything. They knew my name from the first day and I was always treated with respect and kindness. I wish I had the budget to go back today!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank LindaO833
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I went to Ixtapa in March 2011, it was my first ever trip to Mexico. Needless to say I was slightly worried about a lot of things, the hotel included. I read a lot of mixed reviews about the Krystal but the trip was booked and it was now or never. Truthfully? I was pleasantly suprised. Krystal was listed as a 4.5 star through Air Canada Travel. Coming from Canada this is not exactly what I would consider a 4.5 at home, but after all it is Mexico!

When we arrived via bus, the hotel staff were happy to accomodate us. They greeted us with a smile, and were happy to check us in and get our wristbands on etc. The elevator honestly was a bit shady, but I remained optomistic. When we arrived in our room, again I was pleasantly surprised. It was quite clean, very Mexican decor. Nothing too fancy. We had a small table by our balcony and some chairs outside. Nothing special, but absolutely nothing was wrong. I think everyone needs to take into consideration the country they are staying before jumping to conclusions about the reviews.

The food was average, always good but not a ton of variety but good none the less.

There were always activities going on, water aerobics, beach volleyball, water volleyball etc. Everyone that worked the pool area was exceptional! Be sure to get a chair early in the day if you expect to get one at all. The swim up bar and bar staff were also absolutely amazing, zero complaints there!

We didn't eat at Bogart's the specialty eatery next door, and we did not go to the Christine nightclub so again nothing to report there.

We took a cab into the village of Zihuatenjo and wandered around and did some shopping at the market.

All in all our trip was a 4 out of 5. No complaints, no problems, please just remember people you are going to a foreign country, Mexico has different customs and expectations. I find a lot of the negative reviews amusing, maybe some people are far too picky and should stick to Sandals resorts or maybe even the Hilton?

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank MrsR0802
Reviewed September 12, 2011

First of all don't believe everything you read whether it be a good or bad review. My wife and I have stayed at the Krystal for 8 years straight. We keep coming back. Why you ask? Because we are satisfied. One, we love Ixtapa/Zio. Two, we stay at the Krystal for multiple reasons. location, friends (both locals and people we see every year from the states), price is right, weather, pool and proper expectations of Mexico. Frankly reading many of the negative reviews makes me chuckle. I really get a kick out of them with some of them truths as well as others far too picky to even know how to enjoy a vacation. The extra cost to stay elsewhere is not worth it. Many other hotels do not have anywhere near as nice of pool and location that the Krystal has. Please read on for a little history on this property.

The Kystal like many properties that have been around for a few decades go through good times and bad times primarily based on various owners over the years. Most recently in in late 2010 or early 2011 the hotel was bought back by its original owners who previously ran the property in a professional manner. NH, in my opinion, just sucked the property dry financially. Bleeding as much revenue out of it as possible without any reinvestment. At one time the Krystal was the place to stay. I believe the hotel was built in 78. It still is for different reasons as mentioned above. It is my belief that the new original owners will invest for the long term in the property and one will see continual improvements. This will be slow due to the current economic conditions that have beening going on for the last 4 years or so. Please read on for more insight.

Sure the rooms are average, but for my wife and I this is ok as long as we have a place to sleep and drink morning coffee with a view. That is pretty much what the room represents to us as well as a place to shower. That is it. For the most part who cares about the room. Our priority is the pool, beach, location and great places to eat so we lower our hotel expectations to have additional finances to do other things. The people are great. There are always a few at any property that may offend you. Who cares. Don't expect 300 plus rooms and service for 100 to 130 a night particularly in Mexico. If you want fancy rooms and have the money to burn book at another hotel at a much higher cost. Jose and Jesus that work the pool and beach have become good friends. They work very hard for thier earnings and are good human beings with families. They treat us well and we look forward to seeing them every year. One who goes to Ixtapa or Mexico for that matter needs to stop trying to bring the US to Mexico and set expectations for what Mexico represents and blend into their culture and not try to make Mexico like the US. You are the vistor to thier country. So now you have my opinion on that front. The Krystal is just fine and try not to have any expectations at all and enjoy the vacation and be flexible. Don't blame the staff for anything. If you experience a problem it is the management to blame not the staff. They just work under poor management conditions. Treat them well and not as servants and they will provide hospitality that you will have a hard time finding anywhere else. Most of the problems with the Krystal are in the past and now the new owners are in the position to make improvements. Sure there is room for improvements at the property, but I highly recommend the Krystal. I just today booked 13 nights in February. Set your expectations properly. I agree the AI is not the way to go. Too many good places to eat and experience both in Ixtapa and Z. Spend the extra money for cab fare and go into Z every third night to eat out. What a great experience and isn't that what vacation is for. Mexico has a great culture if you let them show you. All you have to say is Jose "another bucket of 4" and he will take care of your needs. Relax and chill out.

Room Tip: We like the pool side 4th to 8th floors...rooms 11 through 118. Example 517, 612, etc
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
18  Thank Gary K
Reviewed August 20, 2011

My husband and I usually travel to Mexico over New Years. We have been to Ixtapa many times and just loved it. The Krystal used to have a really good reputation, granted this was a few years back. In spite of that we and another couple that we were traveling with decided to stay at the Krystal. My husband and I paid extra on our package price for an "upgraded" room and view. DO NOT PAY FOR THIS, IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY. Most of the rooms have the same type of view, partial ocean. The view is not bad so don't pay for it. The rooms were rather scarey. The bathrooms were in terrible shape. The shower head was falling out of the wall, dirty from years and years of use. Some of the rooms were upgraded and when we asked about getting one of these rooms were told it would be extra. Even though we paid extra for the upgraded room we still had to pay. Room was better, bathroom had been reno'd. Our friends decided to upgrade to one of these rooms as well. They did no pay anything extra at time of booking nor did they have to pay to get the same room as what we had. The staff at the front desk were rude and disrespectful. We were supposed to get two nights at the "fancy" restaurant included with our package. Nothing was given to us and when we asked for it all they would give us was a coupon for one night, and that was like pulling teeth. The breakfast and dinner buffets were very disappointing. No bacon EVER at breakfast. Dinner buffets had limited selection. We have stayed at the Barcelo a few times and will probably go back there. We will not stay or recommend the Krystal to anyone. Not a good experience.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank abgirl63
CustomerServiceKR, Public Relations Manager at Krystal Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2011

Thank you for staying with us at the Krystal and for taking the time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor; Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis.
It is a shame to hear that your accommodations did not meet your expectations and you felt the hotel was looking out dated; we actually are in the process of making some really great improvements to the hotel. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed, It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.
It is disappointing to read that you won’t be returning back to The Krystal due to these issues but I do sincerely hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to prove that we can do better.
Kind regards, Abigail Pérez

Reviewed August 16, 2011

I have been in the travel industry for well over 20 years. We frequently travel and visit many destinations and properties, along with site inspections of certain hotels. We stayed at the Krystal Ixtapa this Spring and I could not believe this hotel was rated a 4 star. The staff were very very unfriendly at check in and during our whole stay. Our room was full of black mold, the balcony had several cracks and the room itself was very dirty. We did manage to get moved but only after 2 days of complaining. My throat was so sore after 48 hours and the air quality was absolutely horrid. Due to the fact that I send massive people to different vacations spots every day of the year I'm used to hearing complaints about very trivial things, so when I see something like this, I know I have an absolute valid reason never to stay here again. You could at no time get a chair by the pool or beach as people would leave things like one shoe on a chair or a towel and if you moved it, they became irate. They would leave these things from the evening before, so even if you were up at 6 am, all the chairs were completely covered with items from the previous night. The food was mediocre. At breakfast there was never toast or bacon offered. We later learned that if you wanted toast, they would grill it for you and it would be soggy and greasy. Apparantly you had to ask for bacon, as the only meat served at breakfast seemed to be "hot dog" type sausages. You do receive 2 a la cartes at the nearby restaurant, however, you only get 4 items to choose from. Once the restaurant learns you have the all inclusive option, they pretty much ignore you for you are not a "paying" customer. The beach service is about the only thing that was a 4 star at this property, as they were always there to serve you. For any bottled beer, you did have to pay extra as the only inclusive beer was the warm draft they served. Thank goodness for all the restaurants and pubs within the 5 minute walk because if I would have had to eat and drink here for 7 days, I'm certain we definitely would have moved to a different hotel. There are many hotels in Ixtapa to choose from, however, for the price of the Krystal, service, uncleanliness, this hotel should be condemned.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank tajetsetter

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to share your experiences with fellow travelers regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize that your experience was anything less than satisfying.

Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis. In addition, please know that your comments and issues will be addressed. It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.
Again, I apologize for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit. If I can provide any assistance, don't hesitate to contact me directly at (755) 555 0510.

Sincerely, Abigail Perez

Reviewed August 3, 2011

Me and my wife's family have been going to this hotel for a couple of years now during our once a year family reunion, and I can certainly say that this is the last time that we will go to that hotel. When we got there me and my wife got a room that was flooded and we had to be changed to a room on a different floor to that of our childrens room, not that the rooms they changed us too where any different.

Both me and my wifes room and that of the room that my children got were absolutely horrible the showers sort of worked but the shower head was completely blocked. The water taps in my childrens room were all loose and the toilet counter top was broken not to add that the air conditioning was not working in neither room.

The beach and pool area I have to admit is very nice, the service is very fast and all snacks and food are of good quality and not as expensive as some would think. There are a lot of activities both for the children and adults on the beach and in the swimming pool area which was great for the children.

The thing that made the vacations really stand out was the fact that the cars mirrors got robbed druing new years in the hotel parking lot! and the van was parked infront of the security post at the entrance of the hotel. On the morning after my wife went to get the car and it was left with the valet parking and they asked her if she could go get it becasue they were too busy and since it was right infront of the security post which is not very far she agreed and preceeded to get the car, to her surprise when she got there the car had no mirrors which are vital for our drive back! My wife imediately told the valet parking attendant that this had happened and they said there is nothing they can do as she had accepted the keys from them thsu relieving them from the responsiblity of the car. So my wife and I left the car where it was and went to complain, they could not get hold of the general manager of the hotel as he happened to be absent everytime we demanded to speak to him and the only thing they said they could do was to give us a complementary breakfast and kept saying that the parking lot is not for them to guard and you leave your car at your risk even though it was left with the valet parking. To the day they have not paid for the damage that was done in the parking! and we have heard of other families that have gotten things stolen from the parking and beach and pool areas.

We are returning to ixtapa the follwing week as we go about twice a year and we are not staying in the krystal ever again and neither is the rest of our family.

Room Tip: The maintenance of the rooms is atrocious, the rooms are pretty much falling apart
  • Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Everardo_Ortiz
CustomerServiceKR, Public Relations Manager at Krystal Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2011

Thank you for choosing Krystal Ixtapa as your destination! Thanks also for your review! We would like to take this opportunity to address your points.
First of all we would like to apologize for all the inconveniences you experienced at our hotel during your last visit in December 2010, such as the flooding of your room, unfortunately sometimes things happen out of our control and we can't know to fix them until they have happened! We do try our best to fix any issues as they arise, even if it does result in a room change.
We are sorry that you had to switch rooms, that is a great inconvenience and we understand that.
On the other hand, we are very sorry to hear about your vehicle's mirrors being stolen, unfortunately we are not responsible for damage to your vehicle or theft of the vehicle or anything in it, as the parking lot is a public area.
Again, I do apologize for the issues you experienced and hope one day you will give us a second chance, and at the very least try another Krystal.
Kind regards, Abigail Perez