“Pros and Cons of this resort”

Club Med Ixtapa Pacific
Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
huntington Beach,California
“Pros and Cons of this resort”
Reviewed July 30, 2006

The main reason we picked this resort was that we were taking 7 of our family members(3 children) on a weeks vacation and after looking for suitable places we decided on this one.
Having never been to a club med before I must say it was an experience. Good and Bad.

I'll start with the good first:
Setting was lovely,beach very pretty and ground around the resort were well taken care of and clean.
Room was only place to have air conditioning and as it turned out I really needed that. Oh forgot-the Boutique was also air conditioned but prices too high so you didn't spend too much time in there> Rooms were clean,adequate and beds satisfactory.
Many activities for all ages of children who wanted to participate or not ,it didn't matter. Help was all helpful and able to answer any questions you might have about anything.

Now the bad.....
The main thing was the food and dining room. We were told their food and water was okay so we proceeded to not worry about that. Since the dining room is open air there were birds and flies everywhere. They had fans but such small ones that unless you were directly under one you didn't get any relief from them. NONE of the food was kept cold...such as sushi, cold cuts, and all salad greens. Everything was warm and out in the open. After while the smell off all that food was unbearable.You could always tell the "newly arrivers" from the people who had been there longer. Their plates were piled high adverse to almost empty plates on the ones who had been there.At the end we ended up taking our food outside the rest. and tried to find a place to eat it elsewhere.
Bring your own pool toys if you want to have some to play with...Buying them in Ixtapa at some little outdoor store will cost you ten times as much as they would here.
Pool is way too hot but then weather conditions can not be controlled. Not enough umbrellas to make shady places around the pool.
Try never to go during this time of year--heat and humidity was unbearable.
However, having said that, on the 4th day I was spending my days in my room. Never been so sick in all my life and it had to be from the food. Nurse was nice but only suggested gator ade and jello.I lived on that for the rest of the week. I was the first in the group to get the "bug" and it lasted a good 2 weeks after we got home.

Excursions are very costly and can be done on your own if you feel up to it.

Do not go to a place like this is you are single or a couple. It is strickly geared to families,which is fine, but just be hopeful your kids don't get sick.GOOD LUCK

Stayed July 2006
11 Thank goofus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
Pacific Northwest
Reviewed July 27, 2006

Ok...So, I really started off on this vacation with what I thought was full knowledge (thanks to reading the many posts on this site) of what I should expect at Club Med Ixtapa. However, I was still shocked by so much on this trip that we ended up changing our plane tickets and leaving 2 days early.

1. As has been noted before, the beds are incredibly hard, and the rooms are sparse (at best). Imagine solitary confinement, with a clock radio.

2. The coldest place on this property is the bathroom in the reception builing. My partner and I took turns going to hang out in there! Hint: Don't even bother to try to dry off after a shower as you will just keep getting wet, and avoid moisturizer on your face as it seems to make the sweat just bead up, and pour melted moisturizer into your eyes. The other trick is to keep walking in and out of your room every 15 minutes as moving from 100 with 90% humidity to a room that is 80 with 50% humidity almost feels cool for a few minutes!) (I KNOW, IT'S MEXICO, IN JULY, WHAT DID I EXPECT?)

3. The birds are really 'interesting' to watch fly around over the tables for the first meal. After that, it is just plain gross.

4. The biggest thing about the restaurant was the sheer volume of flies that were all over the serving spoons. There must have been at least 5000 flies sitting or swarming all around all of the hot food (closest to the grill). The food was covered with lids, but still, who wants to stick a fly-laden spoon into the food you are about to eat. Even scarier was watching folks pick up the spoons, shake the flies off, and then dig in!

5. That being said, the food was OK, if not a little repetitive. The desserts looked good, but once again...flies galore.

6. Enjoy your hot tub at home....you will love the pool! It is near boiling, and not especially refreshing. I was hoping for fresh water the 2 times the pool was closed down when someone's kid pooped in it. But it never seemed to change.

7. The beach is great. The water is warm and calm - However lots of local vendors selling wind chimes, tattoos, massages, braiding (as this is a public beach).

8. Finally, this place is in need of a major cleaning and overhaul. I remember reading a previous post that said that comparing Club Med Ixtapa to a budget chain hotel was an insult to budget hotels everywhere, and I laughed....However, this is true. It makes the Super 8 look like the Grand Empress. (The GO's mentioned that this place has not had a major renovation since the 70's and it shows.)

THAT BEING SAID, there were many good points as well...The GO's are quite nice (hola to Juan Carlos, Dani, Pedro, y Mariana), the Petit Club staff tried hard (even though you should really have no illusions that your 2-3 year old will love it, even if they go to daycare at home). The sports instuctors were nice. The equipment was in good repair. The drinks were plentiful. The sun was out, and people were very friendly.

• Liked — the GO's
  • Disliked — beds, flies, mold/mildew, disrepair
  • Tips/Secrets — go somewhere else, or wait until renovation (I heard next year!)
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank JDM2004PHD
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 25, 2006

We traveled to Club Med June 6th and had an okay time. It was our first time in Ixtapa and even though the beach was fun, we are not coming back to Club Med.
The BASIC things you would expect in an all inclusive were there: Rooms: very BASIC, but we expected that. We stayed in La Vista second floor ocean view.....now, that is a joke, there are metal bars on the windows that totally obstruct your view.
Beds: hard but maneagable.
Cleanliness: They cleaned every day and turned our bed 5 out of our 7 night stay.
Food: I was extremely dissapointed with the food. I am hispanic and thought I had an iron stomach...unfortunately I got sick with horrible painful stomach aches and everything else that comes with it. The open air restaurant is not a good idea. There are flies everywhere and the food is left open with the exception of some hot entrees. Breakfast was horrible, even their cereal was stale...two suggestion, the bar serves capuccinos and cafe lattes, so swing by there before heading to the restaurant for a better tasting cup of joe, and order your eggs to be made as you like them at the omelet station to avoid flie's droppings. Lunch was as bad as breakfast, I think I tried to make the best of it, but it sure was hard....even the hamburgers were not good at all. A couple of days we ate from the pool concession stand because they grill your burgers as you order them instead of sitting out in the open flie infested air...I would recommend doing that. Dinner...well, you get my point, there was only one good night when the chef prepared some type of fish, I went back twice for that dish. My favorite meal was at the little island of Ixtapa...do not order ceviche, it is not good, stick to the grilled fish, they bring you the catch of the day and then they grill it to your taste. Ask for extra plates to cover your food, we ordered one big fish that comes with rice, salad,and tortillas....3 of us ate and had leftovers....it was very good, expensive..$90 for fish and 8 Victorias beers, but worth it.
Pool: it was not kept clean. We arrived on Tuesday and it was semi-clean until the weekend when a wave of locals poured in. The pool had a film of sand, hair and it was extremely warm throughout the weekend...NASTY...we chose the beach instead and enjoyed it very much.
The GOS: some were nice, others not so much. My daughter was in the 9 year-olds club, which she seemed to enjoy very much. My 2 year-old son was not so lucky. In that aspect I think it is pure luck who will be with whom that week. The male GOS for the petit club just seemed to be going thorugh the motions, not too excited and just looked bored. Thank God for the girls or I would not have left my son there. A positive side of the petit club is that the kids are in a schedule that prevents them from getting sunburned, the baby pool is covered and they keep them inside at the hottest points of the days...which brings me to the weather: one word, HOT, but what else do you expect from Mexico????
HINT FOR CLUB MED: MORE UNBRELLAS!!!!!!!!!
Excursions: take a $5 taxi ride to the island and arrange from there. The dolphin swim was priceless.......magical and beautiful, DO IT. We ventured out to Xihuatanejo but it was just average. If you go past all the little stores to the pier on Sunday, there will be a lot of local folklore and you'll get to see how the locals live. The restaurants are priced as any in the U.S. so don't expect a bargain. It was cute but if you can't make it you have not missed out on anything great.
Club med was below average for what you pay, and Ixtapa is small enough to say :been there, done that....we are not coming back. We haven't sworn off Club Med yet, next try will be Punta Cana, and if that doesn't work, we'll try some other hotel.

• Liked — the beach
  • Disliked — the food
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank epleiss
san diego
Reviewed July 18, 2006

OK....where do I start. We just arrived home from Club Med (aka Club Mexico) in Ixtapa yesterday, 7/18, after a weeks stay. I consider myself a very reasonable person so I will do my best to be honest with my review.

First, the weather mid-July was UNBEARABLY hot and humid. This is not the fault of the clubs but keep this in mind when booking your trip! The only place we found relief was in the boutique and our room. Our room was in the "Vista" building and it was very convenient and the A/C worked very good. No complaints at all. We acutally did not have many bugs either just little tiny ants near the sinks. The beds were a little hard but nothing like we were expectining. We actually liked them! We had an ocean view which was nice as well.

Second, the food.....taking into consideration the heat the food in the buffet when day 3-4 rolled around became very unappetizing. There were lots of flies and birds flying throughout the restaurant and then to top it off the smell of the fish frying made my poor daughter not want to eat in the cafeteria and we ended up taking our food from the buffet and eating most of our meals on days 5-7 in the bar. The food does get alittle redundant after awhile and we were really craving something different towards the end of the week. We did eat in the reservation only restaurant towards the end of our stay and the food was OK. It was so hot that the drinks were even being served warm because the ice they would give you would melt right away.

The staff was wonderful and very friendly. The pools were VERY hot! Not refreshing at all and they could use more umbrellas for shade. The pool is geared more for adults then kids. No stairs or shallow end. Bring pool toys...we did not and tried to buy them at one of the mexican stands in Playa Linda and they wanted $15.00 US for a raft that I would buy for $2.00 at Longs Drugs. So we just borrowed ones we saw floating in the pool.

I definitely felt like I was at summer camp. If you do not have kids 2-12 in age do NOT go to Club Med Ixtapa. Everything is geared to the kids. They had a great time and that is why we were there! However I do not think I will return in the summer time nor will I return to Ixtapa. I would possibly try one of the other family Club Meds.

• Liked — the location was beautiful
  • Disliked — the hot and humid weather
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank joeyp
Medford
Reviewed July 13, 2006

We got back from Club Med and could not get back fast enough. On the face of it we thought what could be bad? All inclusive, in Mexico, Club Med....
My wife had gone to the Club Med in Florida and loved it. She stayed by the pool drinking daquiris while the kids were in the club.
So off we went to Club Med Ixtapa with high hopes.
Here is a list of the negatives:
1) Bugs. Lots of em and in your room. Ants in the window sills and on the bed ledges above your pillow (we changed rooms and changed bugs). Cockaroaches in the toilet.
2) Little or no air conditioning in the rooms. We called maintanance and the first time they "fixed" the A/C. It was just as warm the next day. The second time we called they gave us a standup fan.
BTW the only 2 places you can get out of the heat are the Boutique and the restrooms.
3) The pools were hotter than the air. Club Med Ixtapa does not believe in putting fresh water in the pools so they sit in 93 degree heat and bake. In the evening the pools were warmer than the air. Not refereshing and painful when you have a sunburn and go in for a dip.
4) Open air resteraunt. The bird s fly in and out and if you are not sitting at the table they eat your food while crapping on the tables. The wait staff halfheartedly chases them off but they are relentless. Avain flu anyone?
Also there were gnats on the fruit. Complain about the bugs and you are told "what do you expect? You are in the jungle!"
5) Inconvenient hours for the front office staff. When we went to complain we were told Sancha was off and to come back the next day. Next day we showed up and were told it was Sanchas day off. Same happened the third day.
Also the banker has short split hours so if you put money and valuables up at the desk safe (they only insure the safe boxes in the rooms up to $200) you go early or late afternoon. Oh yes and don't go on her day off!
6) Nearly everyone got sick by weeks end either from too much sun or ameobic dysentary.

OK Pros:
1) The kids club was great. The counselors loved the kids and they loved the counselors back. They have a great trapeze school for the more daring both kids and adults alike. But The Sandpiper in Florida does too and it is the Club Med experience without the pitfalls.
2) The beach is great and the ocean is beautiful. The only place you will not sweat. We spent alot of time there.
3) The food was uneven but could be great some nights.

All in all stay away! Your money is better spent at Club Med Sandpiper (Fla) or anywhere else.
Go back?
If I get a degree in entemology.

• Stayed June 2006
11 Thank BruceMedford
Glendale, CA
Reviewed July 9, 2006

Hello,

We just got back from Club Med Ixtapa for 7 days with 3 adults and 1 child 22 months old. We have also been to Club Med in Cancun and Bora Bora so we pretty much knew what to expect. I would say that I was satisfied, my mother-in-law had a good time, my daughter was in ignorant bliss at the baby club, and my wife was in hell.

First the good stuff. Location is beautiful. Beach is great. The sports programs and other activities are all great. In cooler weather I'm sure I could have enjoyed the other 50% of activities that I had to skip during the day. The baby club is a god send! My 22 month old daughter took to the GO's easily during the first day, and didn't want to leave on the second. Some of the parents with kids not used to day care had trouble leaving their little ones with the baby club and tortured themselves all week with them. My daughter was happy, cool in the AC, and most important...sun burn free!!!! The schedule worked well to take her to breakfast at 8:00, leave her at Baby Club at 9:00, go back for my breakfast in peace, enjoy the day, and pick her up at 5:30 for dinner. About mid-week we wanted to enjoy our evenings as well, so we tried the Siesta service from 7:00 to midnight. $22 bucks total is cheaper than my usual baby sitter. I just picked her up already sleeping and in her pajamas and put her down in her crib in the room. Shopping in town is great. Don't waste you time in Zijuatanejo. It's very poor and somewhat like Tijuana. The more modern tourist areas of Ixtapa are closer and had all the exact same things for sale at the exact same price. Plus you feel much safer finding a place to eat. We went to Bogarts one night for dinner as my wife is alergic to fish (fish night at Club Med). Expensive but worth every penny. It was an upscale restaurant with AC that looks like a white palace inside with a piano player. Best meal of the week. Ixtapa island is great for snorkeling. The Club offers a $42 Lobster lunch & snorkel excursion + you have to add the cost of snorkel rental. A $5 taxi ride to the pier and a $3 round trip per person water taxi gets you to the island a lot cheaper. Lots of fish restarants on the island for the brave (not us) and top quality snorkels rent for $10-$12 per person for all day. Nice reef with lots of fish. Don't miss the dolphin swim. Worth every penny and more!!!!!

Next the average stuff. The rooms are pretty basic, but you know that going in. The ants were not bad at all and the gecko that snuck in only scared my wife one night. The beds are hard, the lighting bad, the shower and toilet area small, and the AC worked sort of. The food was plentiful with many many choices. Some of it is very good if you're not too picky. Think vegas buffet with more mexican dishes. The restaurant is open air and you should know that going in. Half the seats have fans above them and we always insisted on getting those. But it is still too hot to really enjoy your meal while sweating. No breeze on our trip save one or two days.

Now for the ugly sun and bad stuff. It averaged 103 degrees every day but one, PLUS 83% humidity, which creates a real feel of over 115 degrees. Not fun. It cools only a little at night. We hear February is more mild. Hmmm, we'll see. The biggest problem for us was learning the hard way that you need to put the sun tan lotion on and let it sit for 15 minutes in a cool room before you go outside. Well, our room wasn't cool enough, and the sweat cuts the effectiveness of the lotion by approx. 50% per the Club nurse, and my wife got a 2nd degree sun burn on our very first day. I burned as well, but it wasn't as severe. We were only in the ocean for 2 hours. Yes we are very fair. This required us to hibernate for a couple days. But we came back out in the end to snorkel and swim with the dolphins and had some fun in the sun. I had to miss the trapeze because of my burn which looked like fun. Skip the pool unless you need a hot bath. The ocean is much cooler. Cool tip - the coldest pool is the little pool in the mini-club for 3-5 year olds that you can use after hours. I soaked in there a couple times with my little one. The AC in the room was great in one of our conncting rooms and average in the other. I sweat until around 2am when it cooled enough to pull up the covers. But that gave plenty of time for the mosquitos to feast. Yes I said mosquitos. We had a 1st floor room in Laguna and our door opened into a long dark hallway, or as I called it "the cave." The cleaning crews leave your door open for an hour each day to clean, thus letting in approx. 100 mosquitos each day. We stopped having them clean after day 2 of the evening mosquito hunt. I heard that the rooms not opening to "the cave" didn't have any mosquito problems, but our neighbors all did. I also heard that the upper floors had no ant or gecko problems. We'll take the stairs next time when my daughter is older. The GO's were friendly as usual, but way too many Mexican nationals that had weak english. It seemed like mostly Spanish speakers with the baby's, and less with the older kids. It could have just been the week. My wife and mother-in-law hated the food. I will admit that most was either too bland or spicy if you're a picky eater. I found it to be acceptable and could always find one or two really good things to eat each night. Mexican food night was the best. Surprise!! The Theater is too hot as well. The few fans around the perimeter that worked some of the time didn't do much to stop the sweat. So if you want to see the show at 9PM each night, get ready for the unbearable heat. I had to leave early most nights.

Overall, I look forward to my daughter getting older so I can come back with her and some friends. My wife will stay at home and hit the spa. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions or comments.

Richard Forster
Glendale, CA
rforster@gangistudios.com

• Stayed July 2006
7 Thank RichardForster
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 6, 2006

We went to Club Med Ixtapa 6/25/06 through 7/1/06. We are a family of 4, myself, my husband and our two kids 2 ½ year old and a 10 month old baby. We had a great time and will definitely go back again.

Booking / Travel information:
*Avoid changing planes in Mexico city, you have to go out through customs and back through security its very time consuming and a lot of walking
*Stay Sat to Sat if possible (this works out best for planned events)

Things to bring:
*Large insulated drinking cups.
*Walkie talkies…I lost my husband a couple times, it’s a big place
*Pool toys / floaties
*Lot of sunscreen (at least 3 bottles for a week)
*Light Backpack to take stuff with you for the day to avoid trips back to the room
*White shirts / tank tops (for the Tye Dye party)
*Small fan for the room (we put this on my baby at night to help him sleep)

THE ROOM
We were in a 2 room oceanview in the Punta Building (265 and 266). The rooms are nice. One room had a king bed, and a daybed window seat, the other had two twin beds and the daybed. We also had them bring a highchair and pack’n’play for the baby, so that room was a bit cramped. The king bed is huge, and although hard, they were not as hard as I imagined, we slept quite well. Both rooms had refrigerators, and the AC was awesome. The only concern with these rooms is they are FAR from everything except the beach. But I will stay in this building again because the view and the AC are worth the extra trips.

There is no “baby room” in the Punta building so if you have an infant you have to go to the next building up (Vista) which is not too far for microwaving, milk, baby food etc. But unless you need to microwave, you can go every few days and stock up and keep what you need in your fridge in the room.

Each room has 2 closets with 3 shelves each plus the hanging area, which we used to store pool toys and the stroller. There really was enough room for everything although it was hard keeping everything straight with only the shelves for storage. But there is also storage under each bathroom sink, so I used that for wipes, etc. I unpacked everything when we arrived and that seemed to work best. In the King room we also has a small 4 drawer chest.

The bathroom area is quite small, especially the shower. They have tubs you can use that fit in the bottom and I used this for both kids. The shower heads are the detachable kind so it’s great and easy to clean kids in them. We never had any issues with the towels in the rooms. We had 6-8 towels a day between the two rooms and they were all big and fluffy, so maybe that’s an upgrade they have made.

THE HEAT
It’s really not the heat that is the problem, it’s the humidity. Some days it did get to 93 degrees F, but even that I can handle living in Southern California, but the humidity was well over 60% so that makes a 90 degree day feel like 105. When we plan our next trip here it will probably be sometime Nov-April. The good thing was because its so hot, its off season so the resort was no where close to capacity.

THE FOOD
There are three places to eat at the resort. The main buffet, the snack bar and the specialty restaurant.

We ate breakfast everyday at the buffet and it was great. There was a great selection of breakfast meats, eggs, pancakes, dry cereal (American kid friendly brands) lots of breads, oatmeal and fruit. They also have a smoothie area in the mornings where you can have a shake. The birds do fly over but they didn't bother us, and it was nice to meet new people at our table each day.

We usually ate lunch at the snack bar by the pool, they serve great food, burgers, hotdogs, pizza, fries, quesadillas etc. All were made to order in a clean environment and everything was great. We did eat lunch in the buffet once and it was good as well.

For dinner we also ate at the buffet, we tried to get reservations at the specialty restaurant but it was booked. The buffet had a different theme each night (itallian, Mexican, seafood etc) and always had lots of kid friendly food too (burgers, pasta, etc). Everything was very good, but you need to be careful with seafood and salads, my husband and a couple other people we met got sick, all on seafood.

THE DRINKS
The alcohol is middle shelf (Bacardi run, Smirnoff Vodka, Corona Beer etc) and they were happy to fill up the cups we brought and were never skimpy with the good stuff. You can always order a shot on the side and pour it in if you want a stronger drink.

There are three places to get self serve soda (snack bar, main bar and buffet) and they also have Gatorade at the main bar, which works well for the kids, who can get dehydrated quickly in that heat.

THE POOLS / BEACH
The main pool is as other posts say, very warm and very deep. There are lots of chairs and an umbrella every 4-6 chairs so lots of opportunity for shade. In front of the Vista building is a very shallow kids pool, which is also warm (from the sun, none of the pools are heated). It was the perfect depth for our kids, my 2 year old could stand up. We played there a few times.

There are two kids club pools but there were parents that took their kids there even though they weren’t in the club program.

The beach is the most refreshing of anything, although there were almost no waves when we were there. We saw maybe 5-6 waves that you could boogie board on the whole time. But swimming in the ocean was great! There are LOTs of palm trees for shade at the beach

KIDS CLUBS
Our son was in the Baby club (4-24 months) and daughter in the Petite club (2-3 years) and they were great. The GOs were awesome and they took great care of them. There was a special magic show for them just right for young kids, and they received very special awards at the end of the week in a special presentation. The clubs are great because it gives the kids a chance to get out of the heat and be with other children for a while.

THE ACTIVITIES
It was really too hot to do a lot, I did a water aerobics class (I believe they do it everyday at the pool at 11:45am), and there is a pool activity every day at 12:15. We also did some sailing which was nice (kids must be 6 to sail). There are nightly activities on the landing between the main pool and main bar that are always fun. The daily activities agenda is always posted outside the buffet area by the stairs.

I didn’t get a chance to do the trapeze which is a perfect reason to return. Kids can try the trapeze at the age of 4. Adults are chosen at the beginning of the week to be in the trapeze show, which was fun. They had lots of other activities, tennis, roller-blading etc, really something for everyone. Also definitely bring cash for painting ceramics; this was a great time of pure relaxation, I did two, and they glaze them and bring back by 10:30am the very next day.

On Thursday they have the kids talent shows, Friday is the sports awards and on Friday they sell nice 5x7 photos of the past weeks events (for about $7 usd).

I can’t wait to go back, this was a great family vacation and well worth the money!

• Stayed June 2006