“Sorry folks this was not a good vacation.”

Club Med Ixtapa Pacific
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed July 13, 2006

We got back from Club Med and could not get back fast enough. On the face of it we thought what could be bad? All inclusive, in Mexico, Club Med....
My wife had gone to the Club Med in Florida and loved it. She stayed by the pool drinking daquiris while the kids were in the club.
So off we went to Club Med Ixtapa with high hopes.
Here is a list of the negatives:
1) Bugs. Lots of em and in your room. Ants in the window sills and on the bed ledges above your pillow (we changed rooms and changed bugs). Cockaroaches in the toilet.
2) Little or no air conditioning in the rooms. We called maintanance and the first time they "fixed" the A/C. It was just as warm the next day. The second time we called they gave us a standup fan.
BTW the only 2 places you can get out of the heat are the Boutique and the restrooms.
3) The pools were hotter than the air. Club Med Ixtapa does not believe in putting fresh water in the pools so they sit in 93 degree heat and bake. In the evening the pools were warmer than the air. Not refereshing and painful when you have a sunburn and go in for a dip.
4) Open air resteraunt. The bird s fly in and out and if you are not sitting at the table they eat your food while crapping on the tables. The wait staff halfheartedly chases them off but they are relentless. Avain flu anyone?
Also there were gnats on the fruit. Complain about the bugs and you are told "what do you expect? You are in the jungle!"
5) Inconvenient hours for the front office staff. When we went to complain we were told Sancha was off and to come back the next day. Next day we showed up and were told it was Sanchas day off. Same happened the third day.
Also the banker has short split hours so if you put money and valuables up at the desk safe (they only insure the safe boxes in the rooms up to $200) you go early or late afternoon. Oh yes and don't go on her day off!
6) Nearly everyone got sick by weeks end either from too much sun or ameobic dysentary.

OK Pros:
1) The kids club was great. The counselors loved the kids and they loved the counselors back. They have a great trapeze school for the more daring both kids and adults alike. But The Sandpiper in Florida does too and it is the Club Med experience without the pitfalls.
2) The beach is great and the ocean is beautiful. The only place you will not sweat. We spent alot of time there.
3) The food was uneven but could be great some nights.

All in all stay away! Your money is better spent at Club Med Sandpiper (Fla) or anywhere else.
Go back?
If I get a degree in entemology.

11  Thank BruceMedford
Write a ReviewReviews (3,071)

Reviewed July 9, 2006

Hello,

We just got back from Club Med Ixtapa for 7 days with 3 adults and 1 child 22 months old. We have also been to Club Med in Cancun and Bora Bora so we pretty much knew what to expect. I would say that I was satisfied, my mother-in-law had a good time, my daughter was in ignorant bliss at the baby club, and my wife was in hell.

First the good stuff. Location is beautiful. Beach is great. The sports programs and other activities are all great. In cooler weather I'm sure I could have enjoyed the other 50% of activities that I had to skip during the day. The baby club is a god send! My 22 month old daughter took to the GO's easily during the first day, and didn't want to leave on the second. Some of the parents with kids not used to day care had trouble leaving their little ones with the baby club and tortured themselves all week with them. My daughter was happy, cool in the AC, and most important...sun burn free!!!! The schedule worked well to take her to breakfast at 8:00, leave her at Baby Club at 9:00, go back for my breakfast in peace, enjoy the day, and pick her up at 5:30 for dinner. About mid-week we wanted to enjoy our evenings as well, so we tried the Siesta service from 7:00 to midnight. $22 bucks total is cheaper than my usual baby sitter. I just picked her up already sleeping and in her pajamas and put her down in her crib in the room. Shopping in town is great. Don't waste you time in Zijuatanejo. It's very poor and somewhat like Tijuana. The more modern tourist areas of Ixtapa are closer and had all the exact same things for sale at the exact same price. Plus you feel much safer finding a place to eat. We went to Bogarts one night for dinner as my wife is alergic to fish (fish night at Club Med). Expensive but worth every penny. It was an upscale restaurant with AC that looks like a white palace inside with a piano player. Best meal of the week. Ixtapa island is great for snorkeling. The Club offers a $42 Lobster lunch & snorkel excursion + you have to add the cost of snorkel rental. A $5 taxi ride to the pier and a $3 round trip per person water taxi gets you to the island a lot cheaper. Lots of fish restarants on the island for the brave (not us) and top quality snorkels rent for $10-$12 per person for all day. Nice reef with lots of fish. Don't miss the dolphin swim. Worth every penny and more!!!!!

Next the average stuff. The rooms are pretty basic, but you know that going in. The ants were not bad at all and the gecko that snuck in only scared my wife one night. The beds are hard, the lighting bad, the shower and toilet area small, and the AC worked sort of. The food was plentiful with many many choices. Some of it is very good if you're not too picky. Think vegas buffet with more mexican dishes. The restaurant is open air and you should know that going in. Half the seats have fans above them and we always insisted on getting those. But it is still too hot to really enjoy your meal while sweating. No breeze on our trip save one or two days.

Now for the ugly sun and bad stuff. It averaged 103 degrees every day but one, PLUS 83% humidity, which creates a real feel of over 115 degrees. Not fun. It cools only a little at night. We hear February is more mild. Hmmm, we'll see. The biggest problem for us was learning the hard way that you need to put the sun tan lotion on and let it sit for 15 minutes in a cool room before you go outside. Well, our room wasn't cool enough, and the sweat cuts the effectiveness of the lotion by approx. 50% per the Club nurse, and my wife got a 2nd degree sun burn on our very first day. I burned as well, but it wasn't as severe. We were only in the ocean for 2 hours. Yes we are very fair. This required us to hibernate for a couple days. But we came back out in the end to snorkel and swim with the dolphins and had some fun in the sun. I had to miss the trapeze because of my burn which looked like fun. Skip the pool unless you need a hot bath. The ocean is much cooler. Cool tip - the coldest pool is the little pool in the mini-club for 3-5 year olds that you can use after hours. I soaked in there a couple times with my little one. The AC in the room was great in one of our conncting rooms and average in the other. I sweat until around 2am when it cooled enough to pull up the covers. But that gave plenty of time for the mosquitos to feast. Yes I said mosquitos. We had a 1st floor room in Laguna and our door opened into a long dark hallway, or as I called it "the cave." The cleaning crews leave your door open for an hour each day to clean, thus letting in approx. 100 mosquitos each day. We stopped having them clean after day 2 of the evening mosquito hunt. I heard that the rooms not opening to "the cave" didn't have any mosquito problems, but our neighbors all did. I also heard that the upper floors had no ant or gecko problems. We'll take the stairs next time when my daughter is older. The GO's were friendly as usual, but way too many Mexican nationals that had weak english. It seemed like mostly Spanish speakers with the baby's, and less with the older kids. It could have just been the week. My wife and mother-in-law hated the food. I will admit that most was either too bland or spicy if you're a picky eater. I found it to be acceptable and could always find one or two really good things to eat each night. Mexican food night was the best. Surprise!! The Theater is too hot as well. The few fans around the perimeter that worked some of the time didn't do much to stop the sweat. So if you want to see the show at 9PM each night, get ready for the unbearable heat. I had to leave early most nights.

Overall, I look forward to my daughter getting older so I can come back with her and some friends. My wife will stay at home and hit the spa. Feel free to e-mail me with any questions or comments.

Richard Forster
Glendale, CA
rforster@gangistudios.com

• Stayed: July 2006
7  Thank RichardForster
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 6, 2006

We went to Club Med Ixtapa 6/25/06 through 7/1/06. We are a family of 4, myself, my husband and our two kids 2 ½ year old and a 10 month old baby. We had a great time and will definitely go back again.

Booking / Travel information:
*Avoid changing planes in Mexico city, you have to go out through customs and back through security its very time consuming and a lot of walking
*Stay Sat to Sat if possible (this works out best for planned events)

Things to bring:
*Large insulated drinking cups.
*Walkie talkies…I lost my husband a couple times, it’s a big place
*Pool toys / floaties
*Lot of sunscreen (at least 3 bottles for a week)
*Light Backpack to take stuff with you for the day to avoid trips back to the room
*White shirts / tank tops (for the Tye Dye party)
*Small fan for the room (we put this on my baby at night to help him sleep)

THE ROOM
We were in a 2 room oceanview in the Punta Building (265 and 266). The rooms are nice. One room had a king bed, and a daybed window seat, the other had two twin beds and the daybed. We also had them bring a highchair and pack’n’play for the baby, so that room was a bit cramped. The king bed is huge, and although hard, they were not as hard as I imagined, we slept quite well. Both rooms had refrigerators, and the AC was awesome. The only concern with these rooms is they are FAR from everything except the beach. But I will stay in this building again because the view and the AC are worth the extra trips.

There is no “baby room” in the Punta building so if you have an infant you have to go to the next building up (Vista) which is not too far for microwaving, milk, baby food etc. But unless you need to microwave, you can go every few days and stock up and keep what you need in your fridge in the room.

Each room has 2 closets with 3 shelves each plus the hanging area, which we used to store pool toys and the stroller. There really was enough room for everything although it was hard keeping everything straight with only the shelves for storage. But there is also storage under each bathroom sink, so I used that for wipes, etc. I unpacked everything when we arrived and that seemed to work best. In the King room we also has a small 4 drawer chest.

The bathroom area is quite small, especially the shower. They have tubs you can use that fit in the bottom and I used this for both kids. The shower heads are the detachable kind so it’s great and easy to clean kids in them. We never had any issues with the towels in the rooms. We had 6-8 towels a day between the two rooms and they were all big and fluffy, so maybe that’s an upgrade they have made.

THE HEAT
It’s really not the heat that is the problem, it’s the humidity. Some days it did get to 93 degrees F, but even that I can handle living in Southern California, but the humidity was well over 60% so that makes a 90 degree day feel like 105. When we plan our next trip here it will probably be sometime Nov-April. The good thing was because its so hot, its off season so the resort was no where close to capacity.

THE FOOD
There are three places to eat at the resort. The main buffet, the snack bar and the specialty restaurant.

We ate breakfast everyday at the buffet and it was great. There was a great selection of breakfast meats, eggs, pancakes, dry cereal (American kid friendly brands) lots of breads, oatmeal and fruit. They also have a smoothie area in the mornings where you can have a shake. The birds do fly over but they didn't bother us, and it was nice to meet new people at our table each day.

We usually ate lunch at the snack bar by the pool, they serve great food, burgers, hotdogs, pizza, fries, quesadillas etc. All were made to order in a clean environment and everything was great. We did eat lunch in the buffet once and it was good as well.

For dinner we also ate at the buffet, we tried to get reservations at the specialty restaurant but it was booked. The buffet had a different theme each night (itallian, Mexican, seafood etc) and always had lots of kid friendly food too (burgers, pasta, etc). Everything was very good, but you need to be careful with seafood and salads, my husband and a couple other people we met got sick, all on seafood.

THE DRINKS
The alcohol is middle shelf (Bacardi run, Smirnoff Vodka, Corona Beer etc) and they were happy to fill up the cups we brought and were never skimpy with the good stuff. You can always order a shot on the side and pour it in if you want a stronger drink.

There are three places to get self serve soda (snack bar, main bar and buffet) and they also have Gatorade at the main bar, which works well for the kids, who can get dehydrated quickly in that heat.

THE POOLS / BEACH
The main pool is as other posts say, very warm and very deep. There are lots of chairs and an umbrella every 4-6 chairs so lots of opportunity for shade. In front of the Vista building is a very shallow kids pool, which is also warm (from the sun, none of the pools are heated). It was the perfect depth for our kids, my 2 year old could stand up. We played there a few times.

There are two kids club pools but there were parents that took their kids there even though they weren’t in the club program.

The beach is the most refreshing of anything, although there were almost no waves when we were there. We saw maybe 5-6 waves that you could boogie board on the whole time. But swimming in the ocean was great! There are LOTs of palm trees for shade at the beach

KIDS CLUBS
Our son was in the Baby club (4-24 months) and daughter in the Petite club (2-3 years) and they were great. The GOs were awesome and they took great care of them. There was a special magic show for them just right for young kids, and they received very special awards at the end of the week in a special presentation. The clubs are great because it gives the kids a chance to get out of the heat and be with other children for a while.

THE ACTIVITIES
It was really too hot to do a lot, I did a water aerobics class (I believe they do it everyday at the pool at 11:45am), and there is a pool activity every day at 12:15. We also did some sailing which was nice (kids must be 6 to sail). There are nightly activities on the landing between the main pool and main bar that are always fun. The daily activities agenda is always posted outside the buffet area by the stairs.

I didn’t get a chance to do the trapeze which is a perfect reason to return. Kids can try the trapeze at the age of 4. Adults are chosen at the beginning of the week to be in the trapeze show, which was fun. They had lots of other activities, tennis, roller-blading etc, really something for everyone. Also definitely bring cash for painting ceramics; this was a great time of pure relaxation, I did two, and they glaze them and bring back by 10:30am the very next day.

On Thursday they have the kids talent shows, Friday is the sports awards and on Friday they sell nice 5x7 photos of the past weeks events (for about $7 usd).

I can’t wait to go back, this was a great family vacation and well worth the money!

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
florida
Reviewed July 5, 2006

Club Med Ixtapa-June 26,2006 We just got back from vacation and we just wanted to post our opinion while it was fresh. Beautiful location,food was pretty good but accomodations definitely dissapointing.The air conditioning in the rooms when they worked felt like a fan.(we changed two times as they needed new motors).Ant problem in alll rooms.We come from Florida so we are use to humidity but this was unbelievable,expect to sweat at all meals. The other bad thing was the pool,way too hot could'nt even cool off at the pool unless you count on the pool shower.Otherwise the club activities and surroundings are really very nice. We would love to come back but not until the rooms,a/c ,and beach umbrellas are renovated.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 30, 2006

We can't say enough great things about our vacation to Club Med. We have a 16 month old and we picked Club Med in Ixtapa because it took babies from 4 months on up and because it was a relatively short flight from LAX (3.5 hours). We loved it! We thought the first day, we woul dhave to leave our son for 2 hours in the baby club and the next day, 4 hours, to get him used to it, but from DAY 1 he loved it - we checked on him, he waved at us and went back to playing. He has never been in Day Care. He took great naps and at night he was out. We actually were able to have our own vacation (it was our five year anniversary) and went kayaking, sailing, on the trapeze, to the island, into town, and a bunch of other things without worrying about our son. I have recommended it to all our friends with little ones and I think we are going back in November. The GO's are fantastic and I hope that Ainslee and some others are there when we go back. Like others have said, they make the trip.

If you do have little ones, ask for a first floor room closer to the main area - our only problem was it was a hike and hard to go to the 2nd floor with his stroller. BUT, they gave us this room because we were told a lot of the rooms have 2 single beds and we definitely wanted one bed (it was bigger than our king at home). So, check with them when you register - say you want both a room close to the main area with a king....

Food - phenomenal - have the chocolate bread. YUM! They make all their own bread - even for the hamburger buns. We ate very well. Avoid the other restaurant. We went to it for our anniversary and it was just ok - nice atmoshere but the buffet food was much better.

Anyway, I could say so much more about it but the best comment I could say is that we are definitely going back and this is the only way we will travel with our little one for the next few years because of how wonderful they are with the kids. ENJOY it!

8  Thank amerchick
Ripon, CA
Reviewed June 13, 2006

My family and I just returned from a week at Club Med and had a wonderful time. We have three children: 12, 11, and 8 who also had a blast and didn't want to leave!! We had requested and were given adjoining rooms in Laguna. (We're assigned rooms 208 and 209 which both had great air conditioners.) Rooms were average, and perfect for the environment. You don't spend hardly anytime there!! Additionally, we arrived during Ixtapa's first rain storm since November, and that didn't seem to interupt too many of the activities. Which surprised me how accomodating the staff was, and we still had a great time.

I had read through ALL the posts on here before we went, and took many of the suggested items with us to make our stay more comfortable.
What I suggest you take is:
* Tumblers for drinks- saves you lots of trips to get drinks
* The dryer sheeets for small ants- used them twice ate beggining of the trip and no more were seen
* LOTS of sunblock- It is HOT
* Scented candles- I took six and placed them around the room- Worked well as you are in a tropical place and the humidity can cause an unpleasant scent
* First aid kit- we used it a few times
* Snorkle gear and pool toys- this allowed the kids to access and enjoy the deeper end of the pool easily
* A hat and sunglasses for everyone

We took advantage of ALL the activites, and really enjoyed the shows. We went to Zihuatanejo one day, across to the island to snorkel another, got massages (FOR $25 bucks) on the beach,and walked down the beach to see the alligators and iguanas, and marketplace. BUT, we had the most fun enjoying all the activites around the resort itself; as did our children. This is a family resort with a camplike experience, and I agree with other posters that if you are wanting a posh environment, this is not the resort for you. With that said, Club Med Ixtapa will be renovated this September, so the rooms may become a bit more "posh" at that time.

My husband and I were prepared for the worst and found only positive things about this place, especially the GO's! Man those guys and gals work HARD!!! The only thing I really did not like was the fact that they sell day passes to other people in the area. I felt there were times when it took away from my family enjoying certain activites. The club should be reserved for hotel guests only!!!!

Go! You will have a great time, and if you have any questions feel free to email me!
Jennifer

24  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 12, 2006

We arrived direct from Phoenix on USAir. Airport traffic was crazy over memorial day weekend and we didn’t allow for extra time. Yikes, got to the airport just 2 hours prior to the flight only to find parking crazy and extra long lines. Somehow we made it on board the flight just as they closed the door. The flight was uneventful.

Met at Ixtapa airport by GO’s – and was handed room keys at airport (nice touch) – approx 25 minute drive to the resort. Met at resort by Hammer, the Village Chief. Had a nice quick greeting, was escorted to our rooms, and within 15 minutes our luggage arrived. Great start.

We had a room in the Puerto building, 3rd floor. It was furthest from all the activities, but I didn’t mind. I liked the exercise including walking up the 3 flights of stairs. Others would have not liked the A/C - didn't totally cool the room– but at home in Phx we keep it set at 80 degrees so we didn’t mind it too much. A ceiling fan would have been nice though. We liked the layout of the rooms with the connecting doors. 2 bathrooms was great. Maid services was ok, some days she would leave plenty of towels, others days just 2 for the 4 of us? I did try to tip her when I saw her. But not sure why the towel service varied. Some days towels nice and fluffy, others just thread bare. No turndown service - but if you call for towels they will bring some to your room. Mattress was like a hard foam, no innersprings. We did have a few geckos visit us in the room, and a few beetles. So overall it is kind of like camping. There is a gap between the door and the frame, so whatever wild life can squeeze through will. At home we have to deal with scorpions, so hey, geckos and beetles, no problem.

The food was better than expected – compared to our most recent all inclusive vacations which included Disney Cruise, Beaches & Iberostar resorts. All the food looked and tasted freshly made. Compared to the cruise where it seemed like they purchases processed food – guess they have to serve more guests? Here’s where the squeamish part comes in – yeah, there are birds flying around, and flys around the food…so if you can’t take eating food knowing that a bug probably touched it, you might not like this setup at all. We ate the food, drank plenty of water, and did nobody got sick. Also – agree with what previous posters have said, the dining room is noisy with all the kids. Note: Coke products are offered. Also the kids enjoyed the non-alcoholic frozen drinks from the bar (limeade, pina coladas, strawberry, and mango)

A comment was made that we were visiting during off-season. The resort was only partially full. Felt full on the weekends when the locals check in. Was kind of bizarre, a few times during dinner I felt like I was eating with my cleaning lady and her family. There were also busloads of kids - maybe on a summer break school trip?

The circus staff was amazing. Every morning all the kids clubs rotate through trying out the trapeze – all kids that want to get a chance. Then at night, they are in at least 2 or more shows.
Do not miss the Circus/trapeze show, lots of fun. On our last night, they put on a fabulous “Pirate Town” show – with tons of acrobatics. Then, the next morning it was raining, and there the circus team was again, in the theatre entertaining all the kids – showing them how to juggle, etc. They work pretty hard.

My husband and I played tennis a few times. There are beginner, intermediate and advanced lessons. Plus tournaments at 4:30 each day. There was not a lot of players the week we were there, although I was told during peak season (Nov – April), they do get more. The main tennis pro, Mario seemed a bit tired (maybe because of a new baby at home? Congrats Mario!)– a second one instructor - Chico did lead some of the lessons and had a bit more spunk. The courts were in fair condition. (hard courts, some cracks)

The fitness room was decent enough – had 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical trainer and 2 bikes. There were some free weights, some Life-fitness strength machines.

We did one excursion – to the Delfiniti swim with dolphins. We were in the water approximately 30 minutes with the dolphins. It was a fun experience. We were paired off in a group of about 8 people in a deep tank, wearing a flotation vest. The trainer lets the dolphins swim around you, then one at a time instructs you to be in a certain location where the dolphin will come up to you and “kiss” you and “hug” you. We did get the video from them - $70. But after returning home found the quality horrible. Can hardly see our faces, etc. They make a copy of the video they take and give you the copy – they add some music in the back round. This is not a SeaWorld type place – it is just a big tank with dolphins. You come, you get in the tank, you leave. Nothing else to do or see onsite.

Our kids 7 & 12 really enjoyed the kids clubs. Jeff you are doing a wonderful job leading the clubs. We have some great videos of the kids performance on Thursday nights. The clubs open at 9am each morning and they rotate through rollerblading, archery, mini golf, trapeze, trampoline and swimming. In the afternoons, they go to lunch, practice for their performance, go to the pool and beach (only kids over 6 go in the ocean, the other kids have to play in the shade on the sand). For those over 6, the GO’s put floatation vests on the kids, and go in the water with them. There is also a lifeguard that comes out specifically to watch the kids club in the water.Note this is not a nice blue water carribean beach, its brown sand. Mild waves. Can walk in quite a ways without water being too deep. At 4:30 each evening there is a special event – magic show, tie die at the beach, camp games, etc. They walk from place to place led by the GO’s and singing camp type songs. There were approx 25 kids in the gecko club (ages 6-9) with 3 counselors and approx 12 in the older kids club (10-13) with 2 counselors. We did speak with a GO that was in the baby club and there were 3 GO’s for 6 babies. So very good supervision.

The weather was hot – around low 90’s with tons of humidity. So I’m not sure I would recommend this location in the summer time. The pool water is not refreshing at that tempature and level of humidity. Overall for us, it was a good vacation. Would we go back to ixtapa – probably no – but definitely would go to other club meds (many GM’s told us the Sandpiper and Punta Cana resorts are much nicer) The kids were tired each night and made new friends. We tipped the GO’s in the kids club that went out of their way (“Happy Lisa” from the kids club and Marc and Juan from the Geckos). Advise not to go if you want a plush vacation – the GO’s are the ones make this environment fun.

11  Thank Cathy D