“Perfect for Toddler”

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
St. Louis
“Perfect for Toddler”
Reviewed January 26, 2009

My wife and I go to all-inclusive resorts for years. I ahve been to over 20 in my life. Now with a two year old, we are looking for fun with the little one, and all the luxury amenities for the adults. Club Med Ixtapa was perfect.
We went four nights.
Check in and airport transfer were perfect and fast.
Our room ws in Iguana Area (very close to the action).
The Room wasspacious and clean and well stocked.
The food at the resort was very good.
The difference is that,...as opposed to the standard "Kids Club" at most resorts, this resort has different clubs for different ages - such as 0-1, 1-2 years old, 2-3, 3-5, etc. The activities are age appropriate. The G.O.'s are reliable. The areas are cleaned, and parental requests are honored. We have a 2 year old and he loved it. There are plenty of playgrounds and pools for kids. ovely beach , clean, no big waves...
Goodweather in January. The pool water was warm, .
I would recommend walkie talkie's - in general, the resort is nothing to compare with the mega-resorts on the Riviera maya , but still it makes life easier, ...and you can leave a walkie talkie with the Kids club to call you if your child is having a rough time.
I found the food to be very good.
In summary, for the all-inclusive connoissuer, but now, ...the father of a toddler, this was the best..It might be pricier but it was worth it as you get all the amenities geared towards kids of all ages but still the luxury all-round treatment.
I would not go here if I was just two adults beacuse it really is more meant for the families....Two adults together alone might enjoy a "couples only" resort, and club med has some of those in different places.
Club med is a world ahead of other standard 4 and 5 star all-inclsuive resorts in catering towards families that travel.
I highly recommend it.

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank FatherofToddler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2009

Just got back from our first ever all inclusive vacation... with kids!
We have a 5 year old and an 18month old. We have all good things to say except for one issue (see below).

The 5 year old could not get enough of the kids club - giving us parents some "downtime" to do whatever we pleased... wonderful GO's!!! Daniel, Lala, Ruth - thank you for looking after our big kid.

The 18month old was a little more difficult to keep happy. I think the staff at the Baby Club are worn out from the constant crying... and it becomes difficult for them to keep themselves and therefore the kids motivated and happy. This was not the best experience as our general "happy and easy kid", was miserable when stuck inside the baby club. The language barrier was an issue and the caregivers were generally forgetful about milk times, nap times, etc.... BUT a special thank you goes out to Ana who workied well with our little guy.

With that being the ONLY negative thing to say, i can proceed to tell you that the rooms (family delux with Ocean View) was perfect for the family. Nicely appointed, clean and spacious. The pool-side beds and loungers were awesome. The food was plentiful, varrying and VERY delicious. The "two restaurants" outside of the standard dining facility were overrated but broke up the monotony of always eating in the same building with the kids.

Staff were friendly and helpful. The instructors at tennis, circus school, etc. were all fantastic!! The nightly shows were enjoyable for all ages. When we needed something from room service, they were at our door within MINUTES... excellent service.

The grounds are beautiful and the beach was clean and well maintained. LOTS of seating/lounging options.

Massage by the beach is a MUST.

Some warnings:
1. The price of the photos taken by the local photographer is OUTRAGEOUS and the package options are not flexible at all.... but this is an optional buy-in so do what you want
2. This place is not recomended for anyone without kids or without a high tollerance for kids.
3. Be aware of mosquitos at night - the resort has repellent available at the entrance to all the evening venues....

All in all the place was amazing. I don't know if id pay full fare for the trip, but with the discount I got, it was definately worth it.

• Liked — comfortable beds... check in was dreamy - no from desk lineups....helpful staff
  • Disliked — baby club could have been slightly better - although petit club (from whjat we saw) and mini club (from our experience) were awesome.
1 Thank thegucc
toronto
Reviewed January 22, 2009

My wife, daughter and I visited the Club Med Ixtapa from Jan 14-21 2009 and would recommend it to any family, especially one with young children. The resort is set in a gorgeous and picturesque location with well maintained grounds, a gorgeous beach and 3 swimming pools. When you stay at the resort you feel very close to nature from watching flocks of birds retreat to their nests each night, watching pelicans and other birds fish in the ocean and the beautiful flora and fauna that surrounds you each day, Normally, I am not a big pool person but the pools are great- 2 kids pools and one large adult pool. Its nice one of the kids pools is next to the adult pool. The food is good- not excellent but good. I thought it wasnt as good as the food in some of the other club meds, but it was fine. It would have been nice had they had a couple of theme nights to break up the monotony e.g. a bbq night by the beach, or an Italian night etc. The buffets are large and diverse, but I expected better Mexican food. The causal grill restuarant is very good for a quick meal. The shows that were organized and performed by the Club Med GO's were excellent. They even had a Bollywood show one night which was very well done. The GO's, waiters and staff at the Club Med couldnt be nicer- very friendly and willing to help. And one final point- if you are travelling with kids, I would recommend spending the extra few dollars for a family room. Its huge, with a room for the kids with 2 single beds and also an excellent bathroom. It also has 2 tv's so you can put the kids to bed and watch 20 mins of cnn before collapsing in exhaustion. Our daughter didnt take to the mini club, but that wasnt because it was lacking. I would recommend not booking the kids clubs in advance, but wait to see if your child takes to it. You can also put them in for half a day each day and pay for that rather than the full day. All in all the Club Med Ixtapa was a lot of fun and I would definitely go back again

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 17, 2009

Returned yesterday from Club Med Ixtapa. What a fantastic trip! The resort was touted as a little bit of everything and did not disappoint. Here are the highlights.

Grounds - the grounds of this resort are amazing. Beautiful flowers, trees, etc. and all well kept. Many of the plantings are labeled for easy identification. It should be noted that the resort is built into the side of the hill, so there are many ramps and slopes to get around. Just be prepared to do a good bit of incline walking.

Food - we ate only at the main restaurant, which was great food, with a wide selection of options. I tried something new each day and my daughter was able to eat her favorites each day. The fresh fruits, vegetables and fish were especially nice. The freshly made guacamole was part of my meal each time it was served. The fish were caught daily and prepared in small batches so they were fresh and most tastey. Many items were made to order as well. The themes each night brought new dishes at dinner so it was never boring or repetitive.

Activities - the activities at this resort are a key part of the attraction. I was more active on this vacaiton than I am each day in normal life. The GOs will work with an adult as easily as a kid and don't make you feel like you are entirely too old to be climbing the rock wall or flying on the trapeze! The pool games and land games were well organized and great fun. Activities were both family oriented or just kids or adults. Hard to beat the fun.

Accommodations - the resort was recently renovated and many things were outstanding. The bathrooms were nice and roomy with a huge shower. Room itself was okay, but would have preferred a balcony/patio. Only other criticism was that there was no place to dry swimsuits and other wet clothes. However, we spent very little time in the room, so it wasn't a big deal. We did reserve a beachfront room and loved the sound of the waves. Air conditioning worked well, which was nice, even in January. Rooms were very quiet and restful.

Staff - check in was easy and the initial tour was helpful. The staff to guest ratio seemed especially high, as there were staff everywhere. I really liked that the GOs would sit with us at meals and it was great to learn more about them and their lives. These folks are fantastic and make the whole experience so much better than any other resort I've been to. I met Jean Mark (Chief of the Village) on the first day. He was charming and his enthusiasm shows in all the staff.

Crowd - We were told the resort was 2/3 full, but it never felt crowded. I never waited in line at any restaurant or bar. So much better than a recent cruise!

Entertainment - Because you get to know the GOs, it's so nice to see them in the shows. And, they involve guests - both kids and adults - in the shows. This makes everyone more involved than just an audience.

Kids - my daughter went to Kids Club a few times, but not the entire time. The activities she went to, she enjoyed and the staff were especially good with the kids. I've never felt comfortable leaving her in kids clubs at other foreign resorts, but this time, I had no reservations. Great folks. There were activities for all ages, from toddlers to teens. To be fair, however, the largest single group of kids was toddlers to about age 6.

Overall - Loved Club Med Ixtapa and can't wait to return. If you get the chance, you should meet Mo (also known as Lucky) - landsports, Luis - sailing, Anna, Jerry, Rico and Gaby - all with kids club and Antonio - Climbing Wall.

• Liked — Location and Staff
  • Disliked — lack of patio/balcony with room.
North Carolina
Reviewed January 13, 2009

I have used TripAdvisor.com for a few years and this is the first time I have ever felt compelled to provide my own feedback. The quick summary is that we had an absolutely great vacation at Club Med Ixtapa.

For perspective, this is our first time ever staying at a Club Med but we have traveled quite a bit both with and without kids. We have two girls (3 and 5) and did not really know what to expect and were very, very happy with our experience.

Here is some random feedback that you may find helpful:

The staff ("GOs") were great. They loved our kids and treated them so well that we did not mind leaving them at Mini Club or pajama club so we could have some "adult time" to ourselves.

The staff and other guests were very international...found this a pleasant surprise.

The beach is gorgeous and on a protected cove so the waves don't get too big...our girls would have been happy to play in the waves all day if there was not so much other fun stuff to do.

There is a nature trail/running path about 1/2 mile down the street from the resort. If you are a runner, you will really like this...it is shaded, paved and about 15k round trip.

The only other time we left the resort was to go surfing at Playa Linda....5 minute cab ride down the street. You can rent boards from Catch a Lola and they will meet you at the beach. Waves were waist to chest high and we had a great session.

The main restaurant is buffet style and was great....selection and quality. There are two other restaurants where you can order off a menu and have to make reservations. This was probably my only complaint...the food was not as good and the reservations filled up if you did not make them early enough.

We really took advantage of the excerise classes. Yoga and Pilates in the morning, total pump, Zoomba and Core...all in a beautiul hut that is overlooking the beach. The Yogalates class was the perfect way to start each day.

The circus show was a big highlight...especially seeing all the kids try new stuff.

....hope this helps....we would go back here again in a heartbeat!

3 Thank EJG4
Agoura Hills, CA
Reviewed January 7, 2009

We just returned from Club Med Ixtapa on Saturday night. I have to say I was very impressed with Club Med. It was not the Club Med I had heard about years ago. It was upscale and very attentive on service. We have stayed in many 5 Star resorts and did not get the same service or attention to detail as this resort. Jean-Marc was every where. Between him and Valdimir they were always around making sure everything was great. Very impressive. We had a Deluxe Family Room with a balcony in the Muneca building. It was great! The room was perfect for our family of two adults and two teenagers. The housekeeping was great and the room design was impressive. We have been to Sandals and Beaches and I have to say that the service and food were better at Club Med Ixtapa. One improvement might be to make the reservation restaurants more accessible to everyone and easier to go to. Beaches has that figured out. We were with a large party of 17 with kids and adults. We have never had a vacation that went so smoothly. We always have issues with dinner reservations for a group that size. No problem at Club Med. We never had to wait for a table. The buffett was always fresh and had lots of variety. The drinks were great and they have the best guacamole ever! I would definately go back.
Thanks for a great family vacation Club Med.

• Liked — Perfect for families.
  • Disliked — Sit down service at the two restaurants.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
monterey
Reviewed December 31, 2008

Our family just returned from Club Med Ixtapa Pacific. This was our 6th consecutive annual December visit to the property with the exception of last year (during refurbishment we went to Club Med Cancun). They have done a superb job in refurbishing almost every aspect of the property. The "new" rooms are very comfortable and well layed out - we stayed in a standard room and had thoughts of upgrading but after seeing and staying in the room were completely satisfied. The G.O.'s were excellent. Jean - Marc is the current Chief of Village and is a standout in mingling with guests and making you feel welcome. He is by far the most visible and approachable chief I have seen over the years. My family enjoys tennis and had a great time with the tennis program led by Topher and Francisco. These guys were very strong tennis instructors and were very fun to hang with (we went surfing with Topher on his day off - his backhand is better than his backside surfing!). My wife, son and I enjoyed tennis so much that we usually joined the program in the morning and evening. The entire family also had a blast joining in the daily beach volleyball games led by Ceasar. Our family was adopted by Ceaser during the week. He went out of his way to make sure our kids and the adults had a great time. In my opinion, for an active family that loves sports and meeting fun people this vacation is perfect. I have been relatively silent on my teenage daughter's activities - that's because I rarely saw her; she was sucked into the teenage group and was happily engrossed making "life time" friends with three other girls (she has been communicating with them often since returning home, making me take a number to use my own computer!) I mentioned earlier in the review that we did try Club Med Cancun last year which was really fun, however in the month of December the weather is much more reliable at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific. Final advice, just Go! You and your family will have a great time!

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family