3,502 results
All reviewsiguana buildingchief of the villagefamily vacationcircus teambeach boysol suitesjean marcwhite nightflying trapezecrazy signsfitness classesland sportsbaby foodmain restaurantluna azulsports activitiesmusic factory
Reviewed April 14, 2013

ok... title alone should tell you how much we love it.

as i mentioned, this was our 6th year coming to club med for a spring vacation. we have 2 young children (ages 3 and 6).

we stayed for 10 days and enjoyed every single day as always.
the resort was at full capacity, yet the entire GO and GE team work together to make everything run smooth.

here are all of the GREAT things:
Alber and his restaurant crew are fabulous. always someone to seat you, bring your beverages, clear plates. and they are always to kind and happy.
The bar team: these guys have really improved over the years. friendly and fast service in the bars, by the pool and on the beach. great job and delish drinks!
tennis: it was my second year with javier and he's fantastic. great instructor who gives wonderful tips and runs great drills. johnny was great too.
fitness: enough wonderful things can't be said about stephani. she loves fitness and dance and is a wonderful performer in the shows. she's amazing.
weather: it's always hot and sunny in spring. never a drop of rain in the 6 years we've gone.
room location and layout: we love the iguana building since it's close to both kids clubs. we were on the 2nd floor and had a great view of the ocean.
kids clubs: the petit club (for our 3 year old) is AMAZING. we have been lucky enough to really bond with a lot of the crew there over the past 6 years. the literally have cared for both of our children since they were months old. they are the warmest, loving and energetic crew. they dote on each child and really make everyone feel so special.
i honestly cry when i say goodbye to them each year.

here are some areas that need improvement:
Mini Club GO's for 6-7 year olds: i have seen a lot of crews over 6 years and this wasn't the strongest group of GO's. their energy level was low. they seemed burnt out and just going through the motions. the energy levels of the GO's for the other age groups were amazing. singing, happy, energetic, engaged. basically what it should be.
luckily, there were some amazing GE's that went above and beyond and made a difference for our son.
Room condition: the space is great for the deluxe family room. for the past couple of years, i've noticed they are in desperate need of a fresh coat of paint though. lots of wear and tear but they are kept very clean.
Misc areas around the resort: for crying out loud! you MUST replace the decking outside of the main bar. it is such a high traffic zone. the wooden boards are all buckled and ripped and uneven. i saw so many little kids fall down because they tripped. it's treacherous.
restaurants: this was the THIRD time we've been there that a kosher group has rented out the luna azul restaurant for the entire trip. while i think it's great that they offer this to groups, it really bothers me as a guest. this restaurant is so special in the design of the building and the menu. it's a bummer to be looking forward to this for months and then it's not an option. they need to figure this out. have the group rent the entire resort or share the restaurants.
food: to be honest, it wasn't as good this year. i miss the former chefs. the quality of breakfast pasteries was way off. burnt on the outside and raw dough on the inside on several days. other days were just dry all the way through. maybe they are dealing with new ovens, but it seemed off.
and i miss the macaroons that they used to make daily. petty things i know, but they were the little touches that gave the food the french flair they are known for.
the chief du village: we have met some wonderful chefs over the years like jean-marc and flavia. they were always there interacting with everyone. seeing how you were. asking about your life, etc.
miramar restaurant: they often closed early this trip without notice and 99% of the staff there are just crabby. every day just crabby and cranky. smile guys!
the current chef, remy, is nice, but lackluster. he's there smiling and greeting, but really not interacting. seems uncomfortable.
ambiance: the bar between the pool and the beach is the most underutilized beautiful space. in years past, they would have a wonderful singer/musician play a set over happy hour. it was a great time of day to gather and watch the sunset and have a drink. i would love to see the next chief bring it back.

as i said, we love it there and will be coming back, but it is in need of sprucing up.

1  Thank hollypetermn
clubmedofficial, Public Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Dear hollypetermn,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent Club Med stay. We appreciate your comments and they will be passed on to the proper management. Nothing makes us happier than Club Med veterans and we are always striving to improve our resort. However, we are glad that you enjoyed our staff and the fitness classes. Thank you again for writing a review and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We spent Spring Break (3/30-4/6) at Club Med Ixtapa, family of four including boys ages 13 & 11. Overall we greatly enjoyed the experience, wonderful weather - very hot and sunny, beautiful grounds and room, great food and service. A few comments:
- Cab from the airport was approx. $40, approx. 1/2 hour drive. To get cab walk through crowds to taxi service desk (to the right of the doors exiting the airport) and get a voucher - outside hand the voucher at podium and they will assign your driver. Nice small airport, numerous shops with snacks and souvenirs, accepted US $.
- Disappointing start at Club Med - after check-in & brief tour of grounds we were escorted to our room - approx. 1/2 hour had elapsed since arrival - we asked about our luggage which had been left at the curb upon arrival as we were told it would be delivered to room. We were very anxious to get on our swim suits and get to lunch before dining room closed but no luggage. We waited and waited... we called the front desk 2-3 times over the next 1/2 hour or so and each time were told "a few more minutes, it is on it's way...". Finally my husband and son went to look for it and found it sitting on the curb where it was unloaded - they hauled it themselves - including up 3 flights of stairs. After well after an hour we were happy to finally be ready to start our vacation!
- We specifically requested a top floor/quiet area and were placed in the Muneca Building - it was a bit of a walk but we enjoyed the quiet (vs. closer Iguana building with MANY young children). We had a deluxe balcony room and it was very nice - our boys appreciated having a separate room with twin beds, the bathroom with two sinks, shower and tub separated their room from ours. The balcony view was nice, but the balcony itself was very small, just fit two chairs and a small table - we never sat outside and I don't think I would recommend paying the extra as we were hardly in the room at all. We thought the bed and pillows were great - best we have ever had in any other hotel. Deluxe room did come with 3 bottles of water daily.
-We did drink the non-bottled water at the pools, restaurants, etc. and had no adverse issues at all with water or food.
- Food - Delicious! Plenty variety. We especially liked the Mexican and the ice cream-try the the coconut mixed with Mandarin! They had something for everyone. One night was Asian theme and my son tried Sushi for the first time and learned he loved it. My husband had grilled lobster and crab legs one night. We also dined twice at the Miramar (separate sit down restaurant requiring reservations) - Miramar food was EXCELLENT! Downside is it is very difficult to get a reservation - have to go to reception the day before by 12:00 and get in line and cross your fingers. I went one day at approx. 11:45 and they had been handing out numbers since 11:30 to those desiring a reservation - I ended up with #11 and by the time my turn was up I was lucky to get a 9:00 PM table. Some people ahead of me were reserving for large groups (10-12 people) and that was probably taking up half the seating capacity. We thought the Miramar "hostess" had quite the haughty attitude - felt like we were bothering her by showing up. That was the exception to the overall G.O. experience being positive. We had one G.O. join us for lunch and it was interesting to hear about his background. Azul restaurant was not open at all during our stay.
-We thought beach was great - plenty of chairs and umbrellas - the saving chairs game with towels was in full swing and we went along with that - went down by 8AM to get chairs and request an umbrella - they will find one and set it up for you. Boys enjoyed body surfing/boogie boarding. Sun was too hot to allow for kids to play in the sand unless you could snag an extra umbrella to build underneath. Sun was strongest we have ever felt! Bring plenty of extra sunscreen. A bottle of sunscreen in the hotel shop was $35, a 4 oz. bottle of Aloe was $17.
There were numerous vendors selling on the beach (beads, silver, dresses, peanuts?) they were a bit of annoyance but not aggressive - just say No Gracias...
-Pool - actually 2 pools right next to each other. Bigger than I thought they would be. Fun daily Aqua Aerobics and Water Polo. The "adult" pool behind Sol building was a joke - very small and run down - essentially a wading pool (less then 3 feet deep) with 4 chairs.
-Activities - Many to chose from! Our boys did not take part in the organized kids club preferring to just hang with us. The schedule took us a few days to figure out. For example - it would say Trapeze - Children: 9-11:30 but then within that timeframe there were separate age groups not published on the main schedule. We finally found the separate schedule for the "Juniors Club" (Ages 11-13) - had to go to the "Mini Club" to get that schedule - wish they would have given it to us at check-in vs. having us confused for days. It outlined a daily schedule by their age group - so even though they weren't formally spending their day with the group we knew what times they could go to each activity (Archery, Trapeze, Wall Climbing, Tennis, etc.). Boys enjoyed the regular pick up soccer games. I enjoyed the daily 9AM power walk. It was escorted by a G.O. and was a 45-55 minute walk outside the club. One day walked approx. 1 mile+ to Playa Linda beach/pier/crocodile reserve (walk past the Ixtapa Grand Azul and Azul). There is also a small market at Playa Linda - selling T-shirts, dresses, snorkel gear, sunglasses, etc. Easy walk on biking/walking path. Another day walked to a nature reserve, also near Playa Linda - nice paved path - many people biking and running - seemed safe. We went to a couple of shows - the Circus/Trapeze show in particular was impressive. They also had a "Gala" night with fireworks which was nice. We did not fit in the Isle Ixtapa snorkeling excursion - inquired about it and was told for 2 hour escorted trip via Club Med - was $45pp - for 10-15 minute ferry ride to Island and 1 hour of snorkeling. Some people go to the pier at Playa Linda and hire their own ferry for much less (a couple of bucks?) and then rent snorkel equipment on the island but we weren't feeling adventurous enough to navigate that ourselves.
Overall - Great Club Med experience - recommend this club in particular for families with young children.

1  Thank WarmItUp

Dear WarmitUp,
Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific. We appreciate your in-depth description of our resort, as we are always looking to improve the stay for our guests’, and we will be sure to pass on your comments to the proper management. However, we are glad your family enjoyed the food and your rooms in the Muneca building. Once again, thank you for writing a review and we look forward to seeing your next time.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

we just came back from ixtapa and want to thank head tennis coach javier for substantially improving our technique and overall game in just a couple of lessons.
he's a remarkable coach, whose enthusiasm for the game is infectious.
he really cared, was very patient, discovered our weak spots within minutes and managed to correct them surprisingly fast.
in addition he is great fun to be with.
we've worked with many coaches, but javier is by far the best - thanks a lot!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear surricata,
Thank you for a writing a review about your recent Club Med stay. It’s a pleasure to hear that our staff, especially Javier, was so well received. It’s a great joy to know that you were able to leave our resort having improved your skills and having enjoyed a vacation playing on our tennis courts. Thank you again and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had handled reservations for an extended family of 9, which broke down into 4 rooms. Knowing we would be traveling over spring break, we booked over 6 months in advance. This advanced booking repaid itself in spades; I received a call about 3 weeks before departing from Club Med saying they would upgrade all the rooms to suites due to booking so early, and the hotel being at capacity.

That said, we have stayed at Club Med Cancun before, and we will likely book another vacation with them again. I would definitely pay the difference to stay in a suite in the future. The rooms were immaculate. Beach front. Stocked refrigerator. Beautiful bathroom (& tub...very helpful with a 1 year old who is not yet fond of showers).

The biggest impression left on me regarding the suites was the unbelievable service. Magda & Claudia were incredible when my baby got sick 3 days into our 7 night stay. They called the doctor out within an hour (Dr. Olivia - I thought she was a very good doctor; I was aghast at having to call in a doctor in a foreign country), constantly checked on my son, had his prescription back at the hotel within an hour of the doctor leaving. He came down with strep throat with an accompanying 103.6 degree fever, and it was pretty frightening for us to have a sick baby on the trip. The staff did everything they could to make us feel comfortable.

Due to his being ill, we were not able to take advantage of the Baby Club. Since my parents-in-law had paid for the trip, I felt horribly that we weren't able to utilize the service they paid for. I asked Magda for a refund to their account. She promptly took it to her supervisor, who then took it up the chain; in 2 days a refund had been approved and applied.

The food in the main restaurant was typical buffet. I thought it was repetitious but I'm not a big eater, so it didn't matter much to me. The variety sufficed for me.

When we went to the pool, we chose the "Quiet Pool" over by the suites (Sol building). It was probably much cleaner and hardly ever had anyone else in it. The beach was gorgeous. No big waves (we're from coastal Southern California so I suppose that's all relative, but it seemed very calm to me). When waves did come in, they were good for fun boogie boarding.

This trip was not as enjoyable as it could have been due to my son's illness, but I will say Club Med went WAY up and beyond expectations as far as service. I wish I could have done the trapeze, rock climbing, sailing etc etc...it was just not meant to be. I will say, however, their service & attentiveness has definitely won them our repeat business. I look forward to returning to a Club Med resort next year!

Thank you all!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Dear daisies1,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Club Med. We are so glad that our staff was helpful with your son’s illness and that everything was done to ensure his safety and comfort. We are also pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay in our beachfront suites. Once again, thank you for your review and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Best spring break ever! Just back from an amazing week in Ixtapa – our second visit with our four children (ages 6 and under). Our entire brood, including our two-year old twins, had a blast. Thank you Remy and the amazing staff for creating a resort that pampers guests of all ages. My husband and I enjoyed quality pool, beach, spa, and exercise time while our children thrived in the Mini- and baby (Petit)-clubs. Staff in the Petit Club deserves a resounding shout-out for the loving attention they provided my busy twins. Thank you Vania, Selene, Pedro, Cecy, Lilian, Gaby, Daniela, Monse, and Nayeli. And also thanks to Alexis, Ana, Cari, Flor and everyone else in the Gecko and Iguana Mini Club groups who paid special attention to my older two children.

A few tips for families – try to do a Saturday to Saturday visit since the majority of families visit those days and it helps to send your little ones to Mini Club on Sunday to meet the other kids; take advantage of the ability to send kids to dinner with Mini Club – my older two loved dining without mom and dad; encourage kids’ participation in the shows and attend the 4:30 p.m. family activity (and don’t forget your camera!); and for those with infants/babies, the in-room p.m. babysitters are amazing – we were fortunate to have Patchy watch the twins on both our visits. The staff’s enthusiasm and caretaking coupled with the spectacular weather and setting meant this mom came home tanned, rejuvenated, and relaxed. What more could spring break provide!

Room Tip: Recommend one of the suites if traveling with little ones. Nice for kiddos to be in an adjoinig room.

Dear Beth M,
Thank you for sharing your experience about your recent Club Med Ixtapa Pacific stay. We are pleased to hear that both you and your family enjoyed a pampered vacation. Also, we love hearing that our staff left an impression on your stay and helped every member of the family have a fulfilling experience with our spas, kids clubs, and beaches. Once again, thank you for writing a review and we can’t wait to see you again.