“great surprise”

Ranked #1 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Los Angeles, California
“great surprise”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

At first we were very hesitant about going to an all exclusive hotel or resort but since we have a seven year old daughter and our freinds have who were going there had a tween of the same age we decided to go there so she can be with her freinds.
I think we ended up having even mor fun than her.
The rooms were really nice and clean, everything was in perfect working condition ,the resort is beautiful,the food was great the service was impeccable the staff was super and the entertainment was terrific.

We"ll go back in a hearbeat

Room Tip: iguana delux rooms are great great value.Make sure to pay a little extra for the delux rooms .It'...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear ronnie n,
Thank you for your review of Ixtapa Pacific! It makes us very happy to hear that you as well as your family and friends had a great vacation with us. We're glad you were happy with our activities, service and GOs as we pride ourselves on providing guests with the best vacation experience possible. Thank you again for your feedback. We can't wait to see you back at Club Med!

Your Club Med Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
Mountain View, California
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Our 2nd time to Club Med Ixtapa. This year was even better than last. You wanna know why you should go to Ixtapa? Three words:

Tennis. with. Jonathan.

He is *amazing.* I took beginner's lessons with him. I never played tennis before, I was never even interested in playing tennis. But at Club Med I figured I'm on vacation, it's free, it's a good time to try something new. His lessons are so good, he turned me on to a brand new sport. Jesus is also an awesome tennis instructor. Everyone should try their tennis lessons.

We have 2 daughters who spent their days with the kids clubs, and all of the GOs in the kids club are amazing. The girls were exhausted at the end of every day after having their days filled with soccer, trapeze, archery, swimming, and games. I know I'm going to forget some names, but I want to thank everyone in the Gecko and Iguana groups, especially: Carlos (such a great guy!), Avgustin, Kari, Lohan, Andre, and everyone else I forgot to mention. Also, Mildred wasn't even one of my kid's GOs, but she is such a warm and loving person, she made our kids feel super special for the 2nd year in a row.

The food was great. The variety is nice, and you couldn't go wrong with their seafood or Mexican dishes. And the people in the restaurants always kept my wine and water glasses full, which is very much appreciated.

If you haven't been to Ixtapa before, there are two things to keep in mind: 1) it's hot. You will sweat from the moment you step outside of your air conditioned room in the morning until you return to your room at night. 2) there are bugs, including some mosquitos and small ants in the room. But it's Mexico, so what do you expect. The beach, the food, and the friendly GOs more than make up for it.

Thanks again for an amazing vacation, and I plan to see you again next summer!

Room Tip: If you have kids going to the Mini or Petit clubs, try to stay in the Iguana suite. If you have smal...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
Dear Meredith H,
Thank you so much for your review in regards to our Ixtapa Pacific resort. We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your tennis lessons and that your sons enjoyed our Kids Club. We're also glad that you enjoyed our food offerings, drinks and GOs. We apologize for any discomfort you experienced, and we are working to address your concerns as to avoid future occurrences. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you next year!

Burbank, California
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We just returned from a week long vacation at Club Med Ixtapa with our 1 year old son and it was exactly what we were looking for: fun, relaxing and worry free. The charter flight and airport transfer were very organized and the check in and welcome to Club Med was very smooth. Daniela showed us our room and gave us a lot of details about the services at activities at the resort on our way from the airport (about 30 minutes ride - no need for car seat as Mexico doesn't have any law that requires it). The resort is really well located and there are a variety of activities planned for the guests throughout the entire stay. The Baby Welcome service is a great value as upon check in our room was equipped with a crib, bottle warmer, stroller, bath tub, changing pad, etc. We did not use the Baby Club as we wanted to spend time with our son, but the facilities are great and they have a very caring team. Our son really enjoyed the kids playground, watching the night shows, the pool, the beach, strolling around the resort, but mainly the staff (Remy and his team are great!). One of the highlights was the food... a great variety, delicious healthy food (the bread selection is fantastic), different restaurant options, Baby Bottle room (milk, yogurt, cereal, crackers, Gerber baby food and other options) is accessible 24/7. The main restaurant is super kid friendly and full of smiling and warm GOs. Patricia is very efficient and lovely. Carlos provides fantastic customer service all the time. Selene (the hostess) was super attentive and always greeted us with a warm welcome. Cici joined us for dinner often and it was always a pleasure to have her around. Long story short, the GOs really played a major role in ensuring our vacation was fun, relaxing and worry free. We are looking forward to returning to Club Med Ixtapa and visiting other ones in the near future.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Pajaro building and the view from our room was gorgeous. We strongly recommend the...
Dear Vanessa A,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your stay at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific. We're so happy to hear that you and your family, especially your little one, had a great time. We're so glad you enjoyed all of the great things Club Med has to offer like our food, entertainment and GOs. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to see you for your next vacation! :)

ny
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We spent two lovely weeks in Ixtapa this July. The resort was very nice and has all of our favorite activities. We have been a CM family for 23 years and this is our 8th club. It always lives up to our previous expectations. I always leave a CM already planning my next visit and this summer was no different. We met very nice families from all over the country and Latin America. We went solo this time and still had a great time. Thanks to Remy and Christian for their friendliness and ongoing energy. We had a great time chatting and getting to know: Ana Carla (reception), Dilma (Mini Club Chief), Jonathan and Jesus (tennis) CiCi and Mathius (bar), David (GE indoor bartender, great mid morning cafe and chats), Alexis (beach boy) super friendly and hard working, and Patricia (restaurant), Fagnar (chef), Mario and all of the hard working restaurant staff for always putting out great food and taking the time to be so helpful and friendly. Hoping our paths cross at our next CM.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank evriv
Vienna, Virginia
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Our family of four (son age 11 and daughter age 9) vacations every year at Club Med over the week of Fourth of July.  This was our 6th trip to Club Med and 6th time traveling there with my parents.  (Cancun 2007 & 2008; Ixtapa 2009, 2010 & 2012, and Punta Cana 2011)  For the past three years, we have also traveled with another family of four (neighbors with twin boys age 11)  So, in essence, we have been a group of 10 for the last 3 years.   This year, we were originally planning to stay at the Cancun Club Med, but after we booked our trip, Club Med rented out the entire Cancun Village to a French company, so they canceled our reservation and told us we could re-book at another North American Club Med village for the same price.  We knew we did not want to go back to Punta Cana, and Caravelle is too French for us.  Columbus Isle is my parents' favorite village, but they don't have a circus/trapeze or kids club, so that was out of the question for our family.  That basically left Ixtapa as our only option.

Ixtapa is my son's favorite village, and our 2012 trip was one of the best Club Med trips overall, only to be rivaled by our 2009 Ixtapa trip.  I'll hit the pros and cons, and try to compare the villages based on our experiences at each.

PROs:

Ixtapa has the best food of the three villages we've visited, particularly if you like authentic mexican food.  The mexican food is outstanding and very traditional without all that gloppy cheese that you find with tex-mex food.  However, the food overall was better the last two trips, when Sheik was the head chef.  There is a new head chef now, and the food is not quite as top notch, but still very very good.  (The food in Cancun is also good and the food in Punta Cana is mediocre compared to the two mexican resorts although better than most all inclusives.)

The GO team this year was outstanding, particularly Josh (head of sports) and Kellee (sailing) and Garreth& Thiago from Trapeze.  These GO's were engaging, and cared about making our stay the best that it could be.  They put the guests first and really catered to our needs.  For example, my son, who is 11, is an outstanding athlete, and wanted to play in the adult soccer games, and other activities that were geared mostly for adult athletes.  When the GO's saw that my son was able to play as well as, and in some cases better than, some of the adults, they bent the rules so that he could be included in some of these activities.  This meant the world to him, because he loves to stay active and competitive all day.

Also, hats go off to David and Saul at the main bar - they made excellent cocktails to order and remembered us after day 1.  Also, of the 6 Club Med trips, this Chef de Village, Remy, was the most visible and most friendly.  He not only participated in a show and a special event on July 4th, he also greeted as many guests as possible on the beach during the day.  I was most impressed by his involvement in these types of activities and his accessibility to the guests.

The kids club was, as always, great.  My kids could come and go as they pleased, and participate in the activities which interest them.

One of my biggest general complaints about Club Med is the time allotted for trapeze, especially for the kids.  However, this trip they had one evening where they opened up the trapeze at night for a couple of hours and let kids and adults go "trapezing under the stars."  It was a nice opportunity to have a little extra time on the trapeze, especially for my daughter who was usually only allowed one time per day because her group was usually so large.  My son Connor is finally 11 - and was therefore old enough for "The Catch"  He had been waiting 5 years for this and it didn't disappoint.  He was asked to participate in the trapeze show and had a great time.  Thanks Garreth and the rest of the trapeze team!

For the past three years we have traveled with a type 1 diabetic child.  Because his insulin requires refrigeration, and because he takes his insulin shots at meal times, it was imperative for our rooms to be located near the restaurant.  Club Med has always honored this medical request and this type of customer service means a lot to us.  Thanks to Ingrid at Reception for providing us with our requested rooms.

Although the rooms are certainly not Vegas-style elegant, they are clean, well air conditioned, and spacious.   The grounds and beach are not as luxurious as Punta Cana or Cancun, but the layout of the village can't be beat.  It's much smaller than Punta Cana and much more compact than Cancun.  Everything is easy to get to and everything seems centrally located.  This is a huge plus.

Suggestions to make the trip better:

1.  It would be nice to hear more of a variety of crazy sign songs.  Although I always loved hearing the classics (Hands Up, Jessie, et al), there are others I would have loved to hear.  One night I actually requested one, and it was not played.
2.  The variety of Ixtapa/Club Med shirts in the Boutique is minimal.  For example, they had women's 45 tee shirts in numerous colors, but they were all the same design.  I wanted a tank-style top with Ixtapa Club Med on it, and they had NONE.  Similarly, they had mens tee shirts and mens tanks in several colors in that wicking material, but not one polo-style shirt (short sleeve shirt with color) in the wicking material with Club Med or Ixtapa written on it, such as on the front pocket.  (My husband has one of these from Cancun Club Med and loves it ).  In other words, they had nothing in a casual elegant style with Club Med or Ixtapa written on it.  That seems very strange to me.
3.  Give away some small prizes for winning special events, especially on holidays, such as July 4th.  Even something as nominal as 20% off in the boutique or 20% off spa services, or a bottle of champagne.  This was done last year at our trip in Punta Cana on July 4th and the year before in Ixtapa on July 4th.

CONS:

The so-called "cooking class" was a joke.  There was no cooking.  We were giving a handful of onions, a bowl of raw fish, some lime, sliced peppers and some salt and cilantro.  We tossed it together in a bowl to make a mexican salad.  First of all, those of us interested in a mexican cooking class most certainly already know how to make a ceviche salad.  The reason we wanted to take a mexican cooking class is to learn how to make things like good salsas and good homemade tortillas from masa, and authentic enchiladas and/or other mexican dishes.  If you're going to offer a cooking class, have it in the kitchen and teach us how to cook real mexican food, not how to prepare salad, which isn't cooking.  Two years ago, when Sheik was running the kitchen, he held a cooking class and we made shrimp curry, one of his native dishes from Mauritius.  We each had a burner in front of us and a pot.  We added ingredients like garlic and  ginger, curry powder, broth, and shrimp, etc, and we actually cooked, with heat.  It was fabulous, and a great memory of my trip there in 2010.  My advise:   if you're not going to cook with heat, then don't bother with the class.  It was a complete disappointment and a waste of time.

The shows could be better.  Of course we were spoiled when Vanessa was the choreographer at Ixtapa in 2009 and 2010.  The shows aren't terrible, but they aren't that good either.

Although the GO team, overall, was fabulous, there was one sports GO who needed a few lessons from the Club Med GO handbook.  He was more interested in his own participation in competitive events that he was in charge of, even when it meant a guest would be left out.  This happened more than once, including a bocci ball tournament when he ignored 4 guests who showed up one minute after he began organizing the teams (and there were hardly any other contestants there - so he was planning to fill in to make the teams even.  When the other potential players arrived, he ignored them, instead of excusing himself from the game and including them.  They just walked away confused.  To emphasize, however, this is very unusual and it was only the case with one GO in particular.

OVERALL:

We love Ixtapa Club Med, and we love the Club Med experience in general.  If you have kids, and you are active, social, and you like to eat and drink a lot, then Club Med is the place for you.  No question.   Ixtapa is much easier to get to from California, and as a result, we met many Californians there, and not many French or east coasters (we are from the Northern Virginia/DC area - although my parents live in Northern CA).   Cancun is much easier for us to reach from here in DC.  Either way you can't go wrong.  But I certainly wouldn't make Punta Cana your first Club Med experience.   We found the GOs there to be much more distant, and less friendly, and the village is so big that you don't get that community feeling that you get at the other two Mexican villages. When you go to Club Med, you realize that the people who go there, tend to go back year after year,  and they are friendly, fun, and active.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank lbcryan
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Just returned from ClubMed Ixtapa tonight and couldn't wait to write my review!
We had such a wonderful time! Can't wait to plan our next ClubMed experience.

I'll try to make it short and sweet. My husband and I traveled with our 14m.o and 3 y.o. and a great time was had by all. We decided not to do the mini/petit club because honestly they don't do
well with strangers AND we don't spend nearly enough time with them as we'd like, due to busy schedules, so we decided against it. HOWEVER, every child seemed to be having a WONDERFUL time in the petit and mini clubs. I think when our kiddos are
older, say 5 and 7, we'd consider it.

We stayed in a Family Club room and it was quite comfortable. Not fancy, just comfortable.
The king mattress is more firm than I'm accustomed to, but after a day in the sun I could lay just about anywhere :-)

- We ate at the main buffet dinning hall every night and the food was wonderful! Thursday night was filet mignon and Friday night crab. Each night, though, the food was delicious. We felt like making reservations with little ones was a bit risky with 2 toddlers. Maybe next time. The variety in this dining hall was fantastic!

BRING:

- Sun block, sun block, sun block and MORE sun block. We stayed for 7 days and went through 4 containers of spray sun block. It's very hot and you'll burn FAST. Luckily we did not.

- Inflatable toys and/or tubes for the kiddos for the pool. They have some for sale in the main store, but supplies were limited and we missed the boat. Speaking of boats, bring small boats too that you think your kiddos might enjoy in the water.

- If you have an infant, they might like one of those infant floaty tube thingys (official name :-) This way you won't have to hold them the entire time.

- Hats and water shoes for the kiddos

- Bring a tote that you'll carry from your room to the pool or beach.

- Ladies bring a cover-up/tunic and swim suite for each day you'll be at clubmed OR just alternate pieces and for dinner something cute for a summer evening ;-)

TAKE NOTE:

- THERE ARE BUGS. Mosquito-type bugs at night. They hover around your door (because they are drawn to the night light hanging above) at night.
Inevitably you will let a few in your room. Because it's soooo hot outside (and humid), we kept the air conditioning cranked up high! For bed, I put my boys in long sleeve/long pants, light-weight cotton, pajamas and for the most part it worked.

- We paid $55 for a week of Internet. One day it rained quite a bit, so we used that time to hang in the room to allow the kiddos to nap. We stayed in the Iguana building, which is a distance away from the wireless router. The connection was slow. SO, bring a semi-descent lengthed
ethernet cable and you can plug in from your bed.

- There is a Baby bottle room, which has a sink to wash your bottles AND a fridge stocked with milk

- To dine at the specialty restaurants you must reserve your table the day before at 12 noon at the reception desk.

- They have a Baby Welcoming program in which they provide you with a crib or pack 'n play and a stroller while you are at Clubmed. VERY COOL! I didn't have to bring my stroller, I just used theirs.

I can't wait to plan our next ClubMed visit!

3 Thank EliasMama
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear EliasMama,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We're so happy to hear that you had a wonderful family vacation at our resort.
We appreciate the list of items that you provided for our future guests. We're glad that you all enjoyed your Family Club room and our dinning accommodations. We're looking forward to have you and your family visit our resorts again soon! We can’t wait to see the whole family back at our resort!

Reviewed July 28, 2012

This was our 2nd club med experience. We have 2 children. (5 ,2). The GO stuff that took care of them are truly amazing!
A big thank you to Mimi, Gabi, Daniela, Varonic,the princes, rodrigo, Claudia and sweet angel who always smiled!!!!
Also to Meriel , And victor from mini club.
We truly enjoyed our daily tennis lessons, big big thank you to Johnathan!!!!
Such an amazing player and coach. Also Jesus thank you for everything.
The resort is beautiful we can't wait to go back!!!!

• Stayed July 2012