“Perfect family vacation”

Club Med Ixtapa Pacific
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed March 31, 2011

We spent 8 nights in an ocean-view family suite. It was spectacular. We walked right out our patio door to the beach and spent the majority of our time lazing on the comfy cabanas drinking cold sparkling waters and yummy virgin cocktails. Boogie boarding is a must, and if you can, bring your own. The ones at the gift shop break easily. We also bought sand castle equipment that we left behind for the next family.

We were 100% safe and 150% taken care of by the fabulous staff at Club Med. I want to give special props to Candy, our personal concierge, who went well-beyond just being nice and helping us out. She is truly an amazing woman, and smart as a whip. If you need it, she'll make it happen. She arranged everything from babysitting to dolphin-swimming, but mostly she became my friend. I hope to see her often in my life. Martha took great care of the messiest room ever. Seems we could have filled a sandbox with our tracks!

I also want to mention how great Amador was with our needy family when it came to serving beverages. We adored him and thank him for putting up with us. Hey, if you want a FANTASTIC massage, speak to Raphael (?), who will fix you up in a jiffy with the best at the spa.

Finally, just want to thank the staff at the day camps for everything. My kids (ages 3 & 7) had an amazing time and did everything from sailing to trapeze to tennis. I am especially fond of Eugenia who works with the younger kids. She was amazing with my family and I wanted to bring her home! And, thank you to Allyn (hope I got that right), the assistant manager of the camps. He saved our lives by personally putting together an fantastic lunch for our trip home. He is a great man. Hey if you ever find my son's Adidas soccer shorts, send them (and our missing Netflix movie) our way.

I have a few wishes for our next visit. First, PLEASE get on-demand movies, or at least dvd players, and wireless internet for the rooms. Next, my family was pretty tired in the evenings and would have loved the option of room service. The food at the main restaurant, though, was definitely worth the effort. Finally, my little one got a pretty good case of bedbugs. Heaven only knows how since the room was always immaculate!

Thanks to everyone for what my husband called "the best vacation of his life."

The Shedds

Room Tip: Definitely get an ocean view suite
1  Thank annshedd
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2011

Dear annshedd,
Wow! Thank you for the high praise! We're thrilled to have given you the "perfect family vacation"! It's wonderful that your family found so much to do and had a blast doing it. We hope you and your family come back and vacation with us again soon!
Your Club Med Team

Write a ReviewReviews (3,156)

Reviewed March 29, 2011

We just returned from a week at Club Med Ixtapa with our 1 and 3 year old boys. We had an amazing stay and couldn't be happier with the level of service and the care that our boys received. Our 1 year old was in the baby club and became totally attached to Gabriel, the baby club director. It was evident how much he cares about kids.
One of my favorite elements was the beach cabanas. We'd get up early to reserve one but it was totally worth it as the sun was hot and it was a great way to enjoy the beach. Overall, I couldn't recommend this place more and we'll definitely be back. It's difficult to feel relaxed when you have two active young boys but we succeeded at club med ixtapa.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2011

Dear jgallMiami,
Wow! It's great that you were able to be so relaxed and carefree and know that your boys were having a blast! We hope you and your family come back and vacation with us again soon!

Reviewed March 28, 2011

We have been to Clubmeds on 5 different occasions and really enjoyed Ixtapa. At first, it seemed a little small (we had just been to Punta Cana which is double the size) but that turned out to be a huge plus. We got to know many people to eat dinner with, our teenagers felt very comfortable and familiar with the GOs, and there were always familiar faces. And with so few people, we were in so many of the photos by the ClubMed photographer (this is a wonderful thing - you can view the photos in the office and put whichever ones you want into you "your room" on the comupter and buy them if you want to - or not). The food was great and changed nightly. The reservation-only restaurant, the Luna Azul, was romantic and gorgeous, set on the edge of the campus, but the food was terrible! Stick to the main restaurant or, if you want a little intimacy, go to the Miramar.

Dear hjo2726,
We're so glad you and your family enjoyed the fun and intimate atmosphere of Club Med Ixtapa Pacific! It's great that you were able to get close to so many people. We hope you and your family will come back and vacation with us again soon!

Reviewed March 27, 2011

My wife and myself and our two sons (7 & 2) have just returned from a perfect 7 day vacation at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific. Put simply – this place is amazing. This was our first trip to a Club Med and our first “real” vacation as a family and Club Med greatly exceeded our expectations in all areas.

Flavia (Village Chief) and her team are awesome. The staff & GO’s are friendly, attentive, and genuine. This is especially true of the staff in the Petit and Kids Club who did a fabulous job with our sons. They made this vacation better than I could have ever imagined. Special thanks to Eugenie, Juan Carlos, Mayra, Allyn, Cesar, Stephanie, and Claudia!!

The food is amazing. The main buffet has really good variety and everything we tried was beautifully prepared and delicious. The a la carte restaurants (there are two) are also amazing. Both over look the beach and like the buffet both offered excellent service and food.

The resort is beautiful. Beach, pools, bars, restaurants, gym, activities / excursions, entertainment, shops are all great. We found the resort to be clean, safe, and meticulously maintained. The iguanas that live on the resort are also really cool. The rooms are very nice and housekeeping staff did a great job. Ours was a family room that had a two rooms separated by the bathroom. Two things Club Med could consider would be to have bathtubs in some family rooms and maybe DVD players as there are limited TV stations, but otherwise the accommodations were great.

Transportation to and from the resort was also excellent. We were met immediately outside the arrival gate by Club Med representatives and transported by cab (no cost) directly to the resort. Upon leaving, many of the staff offered us fond farewells and returned us to airport again by cab (no cost). There is also a bus for larger groups.

I would strongly recommend this resort. It is very very nice - laid-back and friendly but in no way pretentious unlike some 5 star all inclusives. My family and I have already decided we will return as soon as we can.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2011

Dear JimiH,
We're thrilled to hear that you and your family enjoyed Club Med Ixtapa Pacific so much! We also really appreciate he helpful feedback you gave us. We can't wait for you and your family to come back and vacation with us again soon!

Reviewed March 25, 2011

My family and I take at least one tropical vaction per year. We have tried many "Family Resort" options throughout the Cariibean and Mexico, and we can sincerely say that whenever someone asks us to recommend a family vacation destination, Club Med Ixtapa is always our first recommendation.

Ixtapa/Zihuataneo in general is one of my favorite places on earth - and I've traveled extensively in Europe and Asia. My wife and I had a nice hotel that we used to visit often in Ixtapa (the Brisas). However, once we had our son, a "family" resort became our objective and the Brisas is not set up for that. With much trial and error, Club Med Ixtapa has become our destination of choice, and we plan to return often.

Let me repeat for those of you looking for a couples get-away or singles resort - this is a Family Resort. It was a singles resort in the 80's and 90's. There were a couple very dissapointed-looking "spring break dudes" on the property.

Below is a list of reasons why this resort is (in our opinion) a better option than other "Family Resorts" in the Carribean and Mexico:

1. Rooms - the rennovated standard rooms at Club Med Ixtapa have combined 2 of the pre-rennovation rooms into one. There are 2 seperate sleeping rooms joined by french doors that open the space into one large area. There are 4 seperate beds in total, plus 2 tvs and a kids sitting area. The bathrooms are large and logically laid-out with huge, walk-in multi-head showers and seperate WC. There is truly no need for a family of 4 to upgrade rooms at this resort. You can get a room like this at Beaches, but it is a big upgrade. Club Med Cancun does not even offer a room of this scale (for any price).

2. Kids Club - What first brought us here was the baby club, which takes extremely young children. Now that our son is almost 7, he is in the Mini Club, and has an endless array of activities from 9am-5pm. You check in at 9, and the day progresses in a series of 45 minute activities: tennis, circus (trapese, trampoline and climbing wall), archery, swimming, lunch, sailing, swimming again, cooking class, practice for a play they put on on Thursday, and a revolving nightime activity. Kids are supervised by young, energetic GOs who keep them moving and engaged all day, not retired nannies (like Beaches). After 3 times at this resprt and once in Cacun, My son thinks everybody his age can swing on a trapese.

3. Property - the beachfront is huge and has a great location on Play Quieta (quiet beach). As with most of the pacific coast, this is not reallly snorkeling territory, but boogie boarding, sailing, kayking...(all included for no extra charge) are ideal at this beach because the waves are buffered by an island offshore. The property is well maintained and secutiry guards are present both at the barricaded entry gate and throuout the property.

4. It feels like Mexico. At Beaches, you might as well go to Florida.

I mentioned all the activites you can partake in, and we do, but my wife and I go for quiet beach time. While our son is off at Kid's Club have the time of his life, we grab 2 chaises under the shade of palm trees on the beach. There is drink service to all parts of the beach. You can get away from the pool which has some music going all day and just listen to the crashing waves.

While it gets better with each visit, they still can't seem to stop with the dance mix music at the pool. It's like they can't help themselves. It's not cranked up loud like it used to be - so like I said - better. Some people seem to like it, but to me it's not relaxing. Club Med has a "theme song" that they play at a certain time everyday and the GO's all do a dance.

Food - the main buffet is very good. I would say excellent, except now I've been to the Club Med Cancun where the food is much, much better. The best part this time was the fresh sashami at lunch time - carved right off a fresh catch tuna (or even a Marlin!). Zihuataneo is a fishing village, so it does not get much fresher. You can always find something to eat at this buffet and sometimes it's outstanding.

Miramar, which is the made-to-order restuarant (open when the buffet is not) is pretty ok, though full service is not the forte of the staff. I miss the Eggs Benedict they used to offer at breakfast. Miramar was also open some nights for dinner. Worth a try.

Luna Azul - is a full service restuarant that is open limited nights. It was much better this time than on previous visits.

Bars - bars are all centrally located. Lucky there is beach service now, so no need tto hike 1/4 mile to grab 2 beers. I'm dissapointed that theey no longer offer Pacifico, but I'll just have to live with Dos Equis. Wine - the upgrade wine list that features wines you can pay extra for has changed to ridiculous pricing. Everything was literally double the prices of my previous visit. I had indulged on previous trips, but $70 for a $10 bottle of wine is a little loco when there is free wine offered.

Other Restuarants in Ixtapa Zihuataneo - please be sure to try these fabulous resturants: La Casa Que Canta (no guests under 24 years old), Villa De Palmar, and Villa Vera Peurto Mio.

Highlight: Watching and participating in a Baby Sea Turtle release! 100 Baby turtles struggled to the sea while guests protect them from birds and other predators (obviously seasonal - we feel so lucky to have seen this).

We'll be back.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2011

Dear designbrian1,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this wonderful and kind review! We're glad you and your family love it so much and we truly appreciate all of your feedback. We can't wait to have you and your family back vacationing with us at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific soon!

Reviewed March 25, 2011

We just stayed at Club Med Ixtapa for our 6th time. This is a no brainer fabulous beach vacation. One of the best things is the kids' program. Our 8 and 5 year olds love it every year. We typically go for 10 days and by day 2 they've each made a 'best' friend at kids club and much rather hang out with their friends than us, going to the beach, pool, lunch, etc. with their 'counselors.' On a typical day we have breakfast all together, and drop the kids at kids club from about 10am to 3pm. During that time my husband would do the daily 10am volleyball game and I would do zumba class. After that, he and I meet on the beach, swim and read, have a fabulous lunch and a little snooze back on the beach before picking up the kids. In the late afternoon, we play on the beach as a family or do one of the activities the club puts on, like the Amazing Race or Tie dyeing. Around 5-6pm we'd play cards as a family at the outdoor bar, listen to the live band and enjoy the incredible view of swaying palm trees and breaking waves as the sun sets.
I grew up going to Club Med with my family in the 70's and while the renovations are great, I do miss some of the old 'antidote to civilization' rusticness of the old Club Med. We cover the tv with a towel the minute we get in our room so the kids know this is an 'unplugged' vacation with no screen time. We're barely in the room anyway, and they don't even ask for TV after the first day. This is really an outdoor vacation and you will never see a high rise at Club Med...they value making their campus harmonious with nature, which we really appreciate.

My husband and I also miss the big tables in the dining room where they used to automatically seat you with others, so you felt like you knew almost everyone by the end of your stay. I guess if you're not used to this Club Med tradition, it would maybe seem odd nowadays. But there are plenty of opportunities to meet other folks through sports and kids.
To make this vacation affordable, we get on Club Med's email list and wait for a good promotion (i.e. Book it Early Promo). If your kids are young, you may want to take them out of school for this vacation since in our experience, prices can triple if you go during school vacation. Enjoy, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ShastaClaire
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2011

Dear ShastaClaire,
Wow! It's great to hear that you enjoyed your 6th vacation at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific! Thank you for your thoughtful suggestions and tips, it's very appreciated. We hope you and your family will come back for a 7th visit with us soon!

Reviewed March 24, 2011

We stayed March 14-22. Weather was unbelievably nice and consistent. Every day about 30 celsius and sunny. Insects not a big deal. A few minor issues. Hold the Salt!! A lot of the food tasted quite salty, especially the soups. More live music would be nice. They do have a program where musicians can stay for free in exchange for a 1-hour set per day. I say bring on more of this! Nothing like a live band to rev up the action or wind down at sunset. Also, we have a 10 year old who's not a great swimmer, and the main pool starts at 4 feet 7 inches, so a bit difficult for shorter kids to play unless they tread water. ( I know they have a "kid's pool" but that's more for the toddler set). Having said that, the water temperature is fantastic, not too cold or hot. The GO's are really great as many have said. Really liked Benji in archery. The mini clubs looked very well organized even though our kid didn't participate. We would go back, although would like to try Sandpiper once renovations completed to compare.

1  Thank DSBNorthVancouver
clubmedofficial, Guest Relations Manager at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2011

Dear DSBNorthVancouver,
We're so glad you and your family had a great time with us at Club Med Ixtapa Pacific! We truly appreciate the time you took to review our resort and give us feedback. We hope you'll come back and vacation with us again soon!