“Golf day”

Marina Ixtapa Golf Club
Ranked #10 of 33 things to do in Ixtapa
More attraction details
Owner description: Marina Ixtapa Golf Club is a Robert Von Hagge designed links style track which opened in January, 1994. It is characterized by narrow fairways bordered by numerous dunes of grass, large traps guarding undulating greens and water on 14 of the 18 holes.The course is a challenging yet fair experience with 4 sets of tees to accommodate all ranges of experience and abilities. The staff is friendly, courteous and very knowledgeable.The Marina Ixtapa Golf Club is open from 7 am until dusk 365 days per year.
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Nice layout but in need of more grass on the fairways. Decent golf for a decent price but not sure i would go back.

1  Thank Jason R
TimIxtapa, General Manager at Marina Ixtapa Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Jason R. Thank you for your visit to Marina Ixtapa Golf Club and especially for your posted review on Trip Advisor. I want to invite you to come back and playa the course again at your earliest convenience. Let me know when you plan to return and I'll invite you to a 50% discount on your next round of golf.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

We liked this course better than the other. A little more rustic but we still liked it better. Close to the Maina but no ocean views.

Etakathy, Thank you for your recent visit to Marina Ixtapa Golf Club and especially for your posted review on Trip Advisor. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed our course. Please let me know when you plan to return to Ixtapa; I'd like to invite you to a discounted round as my thank you for your preference.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have made four different trips to Zihua and each time I checked the trusty Tripadvisor site for the recommendation to either play Marina or Palma Real. Each time the reviews have applauded Marina and slammed Palma Real. So I had always played only Marina but always thought what I could see of Palma Real from the street looked far superior. This trip I took the time to play both.

I am fully convinced that the positive reviews on this site for Marina Golf have to be coming from folks with a financial stake in the Marina course.

Let's start with the Marina course:
"Goat pasture minus the goats" pretty much sums it up. There are barren patches in the middle of most fairways, weeds thick in the "sand" traps, more like rock traps, the greens are very coarse and slow. The carts are likely third generation hand me downs. It is still a viable golf course though. It has 18 full size golf holes but they are crammed in behind and across the street from the hotels on the beach. You are actually playing along the mangroves and stinky ditches that hold brackish water and alligators (those I don't mind, they add local flavor).

The staff:
If you are lucky enough to find someone in the golf shop, they will likely make you feel like you have just been taken advantage of by the time you walk out. They quote you in US dollars but then convert everything in to Pesos using a ridiculous exchange rate then MAKE YOU pay in Pesos. Nevermind if you wish to purchase a souvenir. Nothing, NADA, ZILCH is for sale in the Pro shop.

If you play Marina, you are basically getting in 18 holes and paying for the longitude and lattitude.

Like I said, I played Palma Real as well on this trip. It was in very good, not exceptional shape. A local told me later that it had recently been mowed or we would not have been able to find our balls outside of the fairway. This was not the case when we played. It was beautiful. It was challenging. The carts were well maintaned. The caddies were very helpful. The beer cart came around on a regular basis and even ran a tab for us rather than demand payment for each round of drinks. Lots of alligators. Let the caddy look for your ball! The Pro shop did not have any merchandise either but the staff was actually helpful in trying to save us money by proactively demonstrating that we could pay less if we combine our rounds in to a package and pay up front. This proved to save us quite a bit and coming back 2 days later even without our proof of purchase was not an issue.

10  Thank txlerch

txlerch, Thank you for your visit to the Marina Ixtapa Golf Club back in October and especially for your TA post dated 5 November, 2012.

It pains me to admit it but your comments were right on target regarding the condition of the course and the unprofessional attitude of the staff. But since I have been here we have made great strides towards improving all aspects of the MArina Ixtapa Golf Club experience.

My name is Tim Sullivan. I am the new general manager of the golf club. I took over the job last 15 December, 2012.

My #1 priority is to provide a satisfying golfing experience at a reasonable price for all of our visitors.

I invite you to come back and give us another try. When you do return I will comp your round of golf.

General MAnager

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Ixtapa Marina has nice restaurants with great food:the ambiance is romantic and the night view is great

2  Thank Enchantedstay
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This golf course, while very challenging, is a beauty especially when compared to Palma Real. If you buy a 6-round package the price equals about half thsat of Palma Real and even includes a cart. Give it a try!

3  Thank amagnuson

amagnuson, Thank you for your visit to Marina Ixtapa Golf Club and for your favorable review on TA.

I look forward to meeting you during your next visit to Ixtapa