“If there's a better run hotel anywhere on earth I haven't been there.”
Review of Capella Ixtapa

Capella Ixtapa
Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
New York City, New York
“If there's a better run hotel anywhere on earth I haven't been there.”
Reviewed February 4, 2011

I've traveled extensively in the US, Latin America, Europe and Asia, stayed everywhere from the Four Seasons to the Hampton Inn (ugh), am EXTREMELY picky, detail oriented, snobbish about my accommodations and pretty difficult to please and this hotel tops absolutely any other place I have EVER stayed. First of all you feel like you're in your own home, albeit a visually stunning one with a large and attentive staff. Second, unlike 99% of hotels these days (with the exception of cheesy all inclusive resorts- no thanks) you don't feel like you're constantly being nickled and dimed. Wireless internet? Free. Guacamole, salsa, chips and beer brought to you on your terrace every afternoon at happy hour? Free. Full minibar? Free. Icey cold bottles of water brought to you poolside? Free. The staff is extremely solicitous and genuinely friendly. You can tell that they actually like working at the Capella Ixtapa and take pride in their work and the hotel. The rooms are huge, comfortable and gorgeous. They look EXACTLY like they do on the website and are very well maintained. There are several options for sunning, swimming, dining, drinking-- which is amazing when you consider that this is a small hotel. I've been here twice, once for a wedding and again with my parents for their annual winter vacation and each visit, while different, was wonderful. This is truly a gem of a hotel and a fabulous place for couples, solo travelers who want to relax and be pampered and groups of friends. I imagine children would be welcome if they are quiet and well behaved. If they're rowdy, please take them somewhere else. The rest of us are having a fabulous time.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Samantha T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I came to the hotel because I heard from a friend it was gorgeous, I usually go to Cabo because its a faster flight but my friend was really into the hotel and said it was more private and unknown than Cabo. She was so right, I booked the travel and right away was sent an email from my "personal concierge" asking me any food or drink pref's i had and letting me know travel from the airport was arranged. she also asked if there were any activites i would like to do while there and what if any things i did not like or was allergic too - as well as my companion i was traveling with. He and I arrived and were greeted promptly by a driver. It was an easy airport, direct flight on Alaska from LA, under 3 hours and about 30 mins from the airport. once we arrived we were offered drinks and by the time we got to our room, which was not long at all, our bags had already been placed there and drinks and fruit were laid out for us. The room was to die for, it was, like all the rooms we were told, huge and had a plunge pool with awesome views. There are 3 restaurants on site, which was great b/c we were lazy to leave the first few days - all great food, one was closed the monday we arrived but the menu was still available - in fact it was sort of like vegas in the sense that they told us we could order from any menus any time day or night and also same with spa services. the spa was so great with local products and french ones, very spacious and smelled amazing. we had a tequila tasting which was only 50.00 for tons of drinks and felt like we now know what rtequila is really about. we had a tour of downtown and also went fishing, it was so lovely.
while there we went for drinks at two other 5 star hotels but they did not have the same level of service nor the views or the serene feeling. if i had kids i would stay at the Tides which was pretty but too big for us, we love it here and plan to come back for the next holidays we do over a long weekend too. the manager was also really lovely.

3 Thank HomeInHollywood
Colleyville, Texas
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Having spent 3 weeks in the Caribbean for 20+ years, this was our second visit to the western coast of Mexico and first visit to Ixtapa. This 2 year old facility was just perfect; a really well built facility that was like living outdoors from 8 am to 6 pm. With 6 floors on a cliffside heading down to a small beach, the view was wonderful from our room and from other hotel facilities. The staff was well trained and thoroughly delightful to interact with. They spoke good English and tolerated our broken Spanish. The Spa and dining were excellent and comparable to what one would expect at these prices. We never used the elevator, so there was quite a few steps to help work off the fine food. An excellent biking/hiking trail is in front of the hotel that provides 2+ miles of walking/biking in each direction so we walked to Playa Linda, the Marina, and Ixtapa. Zihuatanejo is a short drive and worth the trip. We had a car but cabs are plentiful. The airport was wonderful and customs were a breeze. Literally it was just over 5 hours from our home near DFW to the hotel room in Ixtapa. It was a perfect week.

3 Thank gary330
San Francisco, California
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Here is the email I sent to the GM after our stay to let him know about some of the problems we encountered during our stay over New Years. The reason I am posting this on Trip Advisor? He NEVER replied! Just overall bad customer service at this property.

Unfortunately we don't think we will be returning to Capella Ixtapa any time soon. There were several things that we were not happy with.

1. We arranged a car with you via email and it was not at the airport when we arrived.
2. The circuit to the air conditioning in our room continued to break in the middle of the night for three nights in a row. This led us to have horrible nights of sleep and we both ended up coming down with very bad colds.
3. There were young children staying in the resort. I could hear them in our room and they were very disturbing at the pool. The resort should not allow small children.
4. We never met our 'butler' during our entire stay. He never introduced himself and never offered his assistance.
5. Anything I ate with beef made me very sick to my stomach. The hamburger was horrible.

I will say that the spa exceeded my expectations and the spa staff was outstanding. But overall, our return to Capella was disappointing and the resort did not live up to its five star rating/cost.

12 Thank APairofTravelers
Eureka Springs, Arkansas
Reviewed January 23, 2011

This property is private, romantic and perfect for couples. The suites have their own plunge pools and are state of the art. The view is the best. The food is great, and service was good. Rogello at the pool was on top of everything you needed. The Tapas Terrace was our favorite, comfortable and very good food. If you're looking for lots of activities this isn't the place for you. If you can entertain yourselves and want some peace and quiet this is the place.

3 Thank EurekaSpringsFoodie
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed January 12, 2011

After examining the reviews and photos on TripAdvisor, we knew Capella Ixtapa would be beautiful and luxurious, but we were truly overwhelmed by the splendour of the resort once we arrived. The fascinating architecture of the ochre-tinted buildings, the lush tropical landscaping, the elegant pool areas, and the natural coastline setting are strkingly picturesque.

We stayed in a penthouse suite which provided a spacious and tranquil vacation refuge. The large terrace featured sunny and shaded areas, extremely comfortable chairs and sofas, a flat-screen television, and of course a wonderful plunge pool that is standard for all the rooms at Capella. The bedroom and bathroom are well-appointed with attractive furniture, a mini-bar that is restocked with water and sodas daily, lots of fluffy white towels, and a sumptuous kingsize bed with Pratesi sheets and down duvet. My wife and I can no longer take the intense heat and sun (like we did in our youth when we baked ourselves in the Mexican sol), so we were thankful for the comfortable breezes that cooled us nicely. The suites at Capella are gorgeous, simply gorgeous.

We spent most of our time relaxing, reading, playing, and talking on our terrace but also enjoyed having lunch at the Las Rochas restaurant, relaxing with a drink at the Terrace Bar, perusing the interesting art books in the library, and just walking the grounds to take in the beauty of the place. It truly was the most relaxing vacation of our lives and other guests we spoke to expressed the same delight in being there. Capella is an excellent vacation choice for a couple seeking pampering and tranquility.

I could not write this review without mentioning the outstanding staff. Everyone at the resort, and I do mean everyone, from the front-desk staff, personal assistants, housekeepers, bellmen, groundkeepers, maintenance crew, waiters, and bartenders was gracious, courteous, professional, and friendly. They all went out of their way to ensure that our stay was perfect. We honestly did not have one unpleasant encounter with anyone, and there were none of those uncomfortable and insulting side-conversations by staff about you or other guests when they think you’re not looking. In fact, some of the staff sincerely touched our hearts as we chatted about their families and personal lives, and as they happily gave us impromptu Spanisch lessons

My only disappointment was the hotel’s lack of recognition of an event we were celebrating, the reason for our trip. In both our reservation form and in a subsequent e-mail to the hotel, I mentioned that my wife and I were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. I was a little surprised, at check-in, when asked whether we were celebrating anything special; I just thought this would have already been noted. There was a generic welcome note from the general manager in our room (oddly addressed to only “Mrs.” and then my first name, as in “Mrs. Joe”), but no congratulatory message. I certainly was not expecting any sort of special treatment or gift, but some sort of acknowledgement such as a card or note, or an unprompted “congratulations” would have been nice.

Will we return to Capella Ixtapa? We certainly hope so—we loved it!

2 Thank Cay B
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Capella Ixtapa is perfect! We have stayed in hotels & resorts across the U.S., Europe, and in Central America, and Capella Ixtapa is the best ever. We spent our honeymoon there. Besides what you would expect in a high end resort, the service was wonderful. We had everything we needed before we even knew we needed it, without any unnecessary formality. This beautiful resort is not the slightest bit self-important. The staff is very friendly and we never felt that it was phony or forced. Our first afternoon there we ordered a bottle of wine at the restaurant. We mentioned that we would take it back to our room, and it was there chilling with glasses when we got back. The first day we went to the pool of course there were the usual towels, beach chairs, shade umbrellas, etc. And also 3 different types of sunscreen for guests' use. The little touches go on and on. It's a new resort and everything works perfectly. Highly Recommended!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brian77339
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixtapa
Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa
Barcelo Ixtapa
Barcelo Ixtapa
#3 of 22 in Ixtapa
Pacifica Resort Ixtapa

Been to Capella Ixtapa? Share your experiences!