“Beyond compare!!”
Review of Capella Ixtapa

Capella Ixtapa
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

From the azure Pacific to the quaint neighboring city of Zihuatanejo - the Capella Ixtapa resort is the perfect springboard to an unforgettable adventure! Nestled between the scenic cliff and the emerald jewel toned waters of the mighty sea, one will find this romantic hidden treasure. The service is beyond compare! Fresh flowers adorn the bed each evening as the bed linens are turned down for sleep. The numerous pools offer a comfortable option to the powerful waters of the Pacific. Plush robes and luxurious linens will envelope and transport you to a place of peace and tranquility. This locale deserves a spot on you bucket list!

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank jaybnew
There are newer reviews for Capella Ixtapa

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I cannot say enough about Capella Ixtapa. The moment we arrived we immediately noticed every attention to detail was on point. We were treated like royalty, like family. We got to know each of the staff members by name. We never went in need of anything. The grounds were lovely and unique and interesting. The views were unparalleled and made us never want to leave. But even as amazing as the food, views, and appointments were... the service was by far the most wonderful feature of Capella. We enjoyed the Fresh Fish Market, a private cooking class with Chef Miguel (A MUST DO) and only left the resort one evening to take the sunset cruise (spring for a taxi instead of taking the bus). We spent our days lounging poolside or on our balcony sipping margaritas and eating amazing lunches of fish tacos or nachos or shrimp cocktail. The food... omg the food. So good. We also splurged on a couples massage and facial which was WELL worth it. Best ever! We will return!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have a great view, but we opted for a Capella Deluxe to be higher up with a sunny p...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank amymusic
Reviewed July 7, 2014

This was my first time in Mexico and this entire trip just blew me away. Despite only being there for 4 nights, my husband and I left feeling totally relaxed and rejuvenated. We were upgraded and had a stunning infinity plunge pool and day bed on a patio which we barely left!
The food was on another level and as if that wasn't good enough, the service was even better. I travel a lot to luxury resorts so I expect a certain level of service but this was just perfection. I can't wait to go back and will definitely make Capella Ixtapa my regular little getaway from Los Angeles!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Supercat68
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Appreciated guest:

Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our food, suites, the amazing plunge pool and the view; we work hard to ensure the highest level of service and comfort.

Thank you for this positive review.
We would to love to see you again at Capella Ixtapa and have the pleasure to assist you again.

Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

Words can not describe how perfect our honeymoon was at Capella Ixtapa. The service was amazing and my husband and I felt like we were celebrates all week. The weather was perfect and food was the best we ever had! I can't wait to visit again for our anniversary!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AshleyAU01

Appreciated guest:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for this kind review. I am delighted to know that you had a great time with us.

I truly look forward to assist you again in the future to celebrate your anniversary.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

The resort is very interesting, and the rooms were very nice with spectacular views, but the resort overall appeared to be falling into disrepair. The exterior needed work, and repainting. The landscaping was beautiful, but again, lacking in maintenance. Safety was a tremendous issue regarding the funicular (incline elevator), which was the only way to access rooms. Children would not be safe here. The elevators were not very clean either. Many of the lounge chairs were broken at one of the two pools. Lighting in the bathrooms in rooms was exceptionally poor.

The good. The food was excellent, although lacked somewhat in variety. You could not improve on the staff. All employees were friendly, and eager to please.

Did we enjoy ourselves? Yes. The resort was not that busy when we were there, which provided a certain amount of privacy, and never a wait to get into one of the restaurants, or to get a lounge by the pools.

Room Tip: Chose a room with a plunge pool. Very relaxing in the afternoon
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dnh3155
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Appreciated Guest:

First of all, I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for visiting Capella Ixtapa and for taking the time to provide us with your valuable observations.

I am happy to know that you enjoyed our food and overall, your visit. Thank you for your compliments to the staff, I will convey the same to the team.

We truly hope the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

I actually could have gone higher on this one. If a 3.5 were a possibility, I would have selected 3.5. Average isn't a fair description, but it wasn't as great as we expected. The main caveat I would throw out there is that we went in late May, which is apparently a slow time of year for them. The second caveat is that this rating is for the resort and the location generally. Third, I can sit around for a few days, but get restless with 4-5 days in a row of just sitting by the pool.

To start, the excellent stuff: We loved the actual resort, meaning the rooms, the amenities, the building. The plunge pool with each room was awesome, making this a pretty unique hotel. The room was great. The bed was comfortable. The AC was always pumping, providing a break from the heat and humidity. Aside from all the steps/stairs, it was cool that it was built into a cliff. The counterpoint to this feature is that there isn't a beach in front of the resort. Also, they gave us a free upgrade a few days into our trip. It seems like they are happy to give you an upgrade if they have the space.

A VEGETARIAN MENU. My wife has been a vegetarian since childhood. It is pretty rare to find a hotel as accommodating as this one. They actually had a vegetarian menu with a good selection of items. Even better, the prices reflected the fact that there wasn't meat in the item. Most vegetarian items cost less than the drinks. And the vegetarian items were really good.

The view was pretty great. We have definitely seen better in the Caribbean and elsewhere, but it was pretty. Pretty standard view for the Pacific Coast. One day we saw a couple dolphins jumping around out of the water out in front of the hotel, which was fun to see. Apparently whales swim out front sometimes as well.

A personal concierge. They give guests personal concierges. This is a pretty sweet perk. We actually didn't use ours much, but he came through with the upgrade. On the other hand, I wanted to surf down there (which their website includes as an activity), and no one I asked, including the concierges, seemed knowledgeable about the activity.

The pool was pretty small. If the hotel was at capacity, I think it would be pretty tough to find a spot. All the spots, however, had great lounges and umbrellas.

The food was pretty good. I already touched on the vegetarian menu. The bad thing I didn't mention yet was that it didn't seem like the entire hotel staff was aware of it. After being promised that we could order off of it at any restaurant, at least 2 servers seemed ignorant of its existence when asked. The fish market was pretty cool. I am not a big fish eater, but we ate there twice and really enjoyed it. We also ate at the Terrace Bar a couple times. The tapas and drinks there were great. Food prices were pretty high. As an example, while 2 could probably eat breakfast for under $40, we generally found our bill to be $50-60. At those prices, I would expect to be able to have a mimosa or Bloody Mary with breakfast.

We weren't generally that impressed with the drinks. They simply weren't consistent. One drink would be too strong, and the next would taste like it didn't have any alcohol in it. Also, they ran out of items on the menu like beers and even pina colada mix. You ran out of pina colada mix at a beach resort? Really? It reminded me of the drinks you might get at an all-inclusive resort, where they aren't the best. But if you are paying $13 for a drink, I expect it to be a darn good drink.

Weather: At the time we were there, it was simply too hot and humid. Even with the umbrellas and the shade, it got hot, sticky, and gross fast. At one point, my wife was contemplating staying in the room rather than going outside, and she loves the beach and the ocean or just reading poolside.

There wasn't much to do. They have a cooking class that came highly recommended, but we passed on it because (1) it was right in the middle of the day and (2) it seemed pricey. You could take a trip to Ixtapa Island, but the reviews on that seemed pretty mixed. Playa Linda was a relatively short walk or bike ride away, but it wasn't all that Linda (beautiful). It was a pretty long beach, which was good if you wanted to take a stroll on the beach as the resort doesn't have a beach. Their was a little crocodile reserve down by the beach, which was pretty cool but smelled pretty bad. Their website advertises surfing as an option, but the hotel seemed pretty ignorant of the activity.

The resort was also pretty isolated. They have bikes you can use. On bike, you can get to town in about 20 minutes. Otherwise, it is a $10 cab ride in to town.

In the end, Cabo is easier, closer, and has more to do. I think it is probably also cheaper. We don't often vacation in the same spots, and we won't go back to Ixtapa. If you are good with sitting around, tanning, reading, whatever, this could be a great place for you, but it wasn't for us.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. In reality, I don't think there is a bad room in the place.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Kevin C

Appreciated Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share the experience of your recent stay with us. I have noted your overall feedback, I am grateful for your comments on areas where we can improve.
I am indeed glad that you enjoyed the resort. Chef Miguel was happy to create a vegetarian menu for your wife. How great that you saw a couple dolphins jumping out of the water, that is a fun experience.

Thank you very much for your visit and we do hope to have the possibility to host you once again in the future.

Reviewed June 9, 2014

My husband and I went to Capella for a romantic and intimate honeymoon. Capella went above and beyond our expectations. The beauty of the hotel and surrounding area is incredible. The room was lovely and the personal pool was fantastic. We loved the staff. Everyone was friendly, helpful and nice. We did the cooking experience with the chef and had an amazing day. We got a real taste for traditional local Mexican markets and food preparation. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a more private and romantic trip.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kara K

Appreciated guest:

Thank you for your visit to Capella Ixtapa, we are indeed glad that you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful hotel. I want to take this opportunity to thank as well, for sharing such an important celebration as you honeymoon.

I am pleased to know you had a memorable experience and took advantage of the cooking class with the Chef.

Eliezer Quinones

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixtapa
Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa
Barcelo Ixtapa
Barcelo Ixtapa
#3 of 22 in Ixtapa
Azul Ixtapa Grand Spa & Convention Center

Been to Capella Ixtapa? Share your experiences!