“The Fourth time the BEST EVER”
Review of Capella Ixtapa

Capella Ixtapa
Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
Reviewed March 26, 2014

My wife and I just absolutely love this resort and it seems just to get better each and every time we go. We have been come friends with many of the locals one who has become our tour guide and driver while we visit. Antonio Lopez an incredible man who is extremely knowledgeable of the history Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa. His # is +527551150369 he will meet you at the airport and transport you anywhere you need to go, his pricing is very reasonable and fair. He took us directly to Capella which is about a 25 minute drive. We were greeted by the friendly staff of Capella, Cruz the Bellman is always so delightful and smiling and our wonderful personal assistant Luz Najera took us to the front desk and escorted us to our room. We were in a Deluxe Ocean Junior Suite Room 62 which we loved for 2 days then moved up to our favorite room #71 Penthouse Suite. The staff informed us Sunday that we were moving rooms while lounging by the infinity pool, we did not leave the pool and they moved everything from room #62 to 71 in about an hour and everything was put in it's exact location. "Unbelievable" Talking about the GOLD STANDARD of service it starts here. Our first dinner was at the Seafood Market which overlooks the Pacific and we got to visit with our longtime friend Fernando. Our second dinner was at A Mares directly across from the Terrace Bar another great meal, remember if you don't like the menu Chef Rurik & Sous Chef Miguel and make anything. We became friends with Lucian the Food and Beverage Supervisor and Omar who waited on us, so helpful. Actually, Lucian could easily be a Sommelier he has a great sense of smell and appreciates quality wines. A lot of time the back of the house is overlooked but I would like to say a BIG thank you to Socorro and Leo for always have such a clean room, housekeeping was super. For the best margarita in town go see Osvaldo at the Terrace Bar great romantic place for Happy Hour. We were celebrating my wife's 50 th birthday and I would recommend for everyone to experience the private dining on the lower deck, we designed our own menu which Chef Rurik nailed. Incredible salad, Sea Bass over mushroom risotto and a chocolate lava cake with homemade vanilla ice cream. I'm sure my Pastry chef friend Paloma developed this great creation. I promise this romantic experience will be one you will always remember. Thanks to Skarlet in the SPA area and Letty for the great Spa treatments. I would recommend that they add several items in the men's locker room (disposable combs, Qtips, aftershave, maybe mirrors in the showers for shaving, disposal toothbrush and toothpaste. Also, I think they should upgrade the workout equipment its the same old stuff that probably been there since they opened. Plus they need to offer head phones and wet ones to clean off the machines. Finally, you will meet some great couples just hanging out by the pool, we meet great people from Chicago, California, Idaho and of course Texas. Our friends from Texas aspiring country artist Cody Joe played about an hour half performance which was awesome. Look Cody Joe Hodges up on YouTube. We cannot thank the entire staff at Capella enough for another incredible stay.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dranch21
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Appreciated Guest:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this review regarding your recent experience at Capella Ixtapa. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Your feedback is very valuable to us and I am happy to know that your overall experience exceeded your expectations. Thank you for your remarks and I will make sure to convey the same to the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home in the future.

Eliezer Quinones

There are newer reviews for Capella Ixtapa

Reviewed March 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Capella Ixtapa in November 2013. I had seen pictures of it and it looked so beautiful I started planning right away! We were not disappointed. When we got there we were met at the taxi by name which felt really good. The service was very polite and helpful. The resort was as beautiful as I hoped. The bedroom was a bit on the small side but we mostly hung out on the terrace so that wasn't a problem. The terrace was very private and the views were amazing. I spent a lot of time just looking at the views. We loved having a plunge pool and used it often during the day. One evening we had them warm it up for us as it was quite cool in the evenings and that was lovely.
We wanted to explore the area and some of the staff was really helpful guiding taxi drivers and helping us plan outings, showing us maps and giving us ideas to make our outings as pleasurable as possible.
The food was really good. I found that some of the servings were really large, more then I could eat. We didn't find the prices higher then what we'd spend on good meals in nice restaurants in Canada. We actually spent quite a lot less then I had planned for.
We'd definitely go back. Next time we'll splurge on a penthouse suite as I'd love the extra room.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maia J
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Lovely property, very well maintained with magnificent views from all of its rooms -all of them have terraces- we saw dolphins swimming very close by from ours- the hotel lends out bicycles to ride on very scenic paths near by. Excellent service and good food which we thought was overpriced. The spa's facilities are very nice and so are treatments. We had private yoga - stretch class with Pilar who was an excellent teacher.

Room Tip: We stayed at room 42 on the fourth floor. It had a beautiful terrace with a small pool with an unfor...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rossana N
Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

Honestly this is the best hotel in North America. I came down on a honeymoon trip with my wife :)! From the moment we made the reservation online we were treated like celebrities. They contacted us weeks out about our arrival and what we wanted to do when we arrived. We were able to see all available aspects Capella has to offer.

We went on a snorkeling tour in the Pacific Ocean. But the best thing of all they offer a cooking class. Not only do you learn about cooking but the chef takes you to the market in the morning in downtown Zihuatanejo. They teach you about the heritage of the city, culture, foods, etc.

Further, throughout the week and half we were there, they greeted my wife and me by name each time they saw us. No matter who it was, the room attendant, the bell staff, management, servers, EVERYONE!

The rooms are impeccable. Not one flaw. The views are ridiculous. We saw whales and dolphins from our in room pool.

They have complimentary bikes you can take to ride around Ixtapa. We went to playa Linda and enjoyed the day. Unbelievable.

I have worked in hotels for all my career and I cannot find one flaw in any part of this hotel; from the amenities and food to the staff and cleanliness this hotel is far superior to any in North America.

Thank you for the trip of a lifetime.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jr8722
Reviewed February 28, 2014

What can we say that hasn't already been said. The service is over the top. The room and pools are quite luxurious and the food is really (for the most part) exceptional. The only negatives I can comment on are: anything on the breakfast menu with scrambled eggs is quite buttery. The scrambled egg dish with shredded beef should be avoided (beef is basically beef jerky and really difficult to chew). The Caesar salad is hit or miss. Once it was quite yummy and once it was lettuce in a mayonnaise bath. The spinach Cobb salad is not so great either (overly dressed and soggy). The flan dessert is not very good but the chocolate cake with brittle on top is excellent. We had the escape package (every third night is free) and it is quite a good value if you like spa treatments. My wife had 3 and I had 1 over a six day period. You can break the spa credits into smaller parts that can be mixed and matched for any treatment in the spa. The fish market is quite delicious with beautiful views and incredibly fresh fish. Be prepared to spend at least $100 for 2 people including wine. This is a fantastic bargain compared to las ventanas or Esperanza in cabo San Lucas. Dining in room is very affordable too. An entree salad is $12 (the wedge
is excellent).

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Alligato
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We had an incredible time in our trip. Our room was breathtaking and the service was even better. On our first night we ordered a romantice room service dinner which made the Aman's hotel's look insuficient. The pool, the food, spa and the facilities were more than what we could have hoped for. If you go don't miss the "food market" were you can pick your catch of the day and how tha have it prepared. The only thing that was not spectacurar but was good was the desserts and meager wine menú. But then again you are in the beach where you will probably be drinking a nice tequila.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Perhaps the best, most relaxing establishment I have ever visited. Staff are totally attentive to the minutest details necessary to please even the pickiest (me)! Very few children and those that are here are well behaved and quiet. Accommodations provide very large indoor and outdoor space, huge bathroom, private heated infinity plunge pool, impeccable views of the Pacific, complete privacy in your room, good food, and property easy to navigate. Warning: If flights connect in Mexico City, watch out for slow immigration processing and very few if any people who can speak English or provide reliable directions to your gate.

Quick facts I couldn't easily find scanning other reviews: property has standard US 110v power, has box fans available if needed, room safes, large plush bathrooms, nice showers with descent but fluctuating water pressure, ceiling fans in bedroom and bathroom, fridge in room, free bottled water, free in room Wi-Fi, complementary his/her bicycles, amazing nature trail nearby, in room LED TV with available HDMI inputs you can connect Apple TV or games to, a fair number of English broadcast TV stations, descent currency exchange rate at desk ($1 US= 11.80 Pesos), and lots of grocery stores en-route from airport if you want to pick up some snacks for your stay. The ocean view is breathtaking, with many very large rocky island outcroppings. Bugs are not a problem. The property appears brand new in every detail except for many two bulb light fixtures with only one operating in hallways and one piece of gym equipment not working properly. On the down side, no air conditioning in the bathroom, no tub, limited food choices, and no beach.

Two days prior to leaving for 5 day/4 night trip I contacted the hotel via the Tripadvisor property link. Christian was quick to respond and answered numerous questions for me. We exchanged numerous e-mails and in the end I prearranged round trip transport from the airport to the hotel for $117. While at the Atlanta airport, I exchanged $200 US for 2,150 Pesos so I could buy groceries and tip our driver and service staff. I exchanged an additional $100 at the hotel and this provided enough cash for what staff seemed to feel were very generous tips.

We flew from Atlanta to Mexico City where we had a 90 minute layover before our flight to Ixtapa and we almost missed our connection. The line for immigration was extremely long and disorganized. No one was available to direct the queue, answer questions, or confirm we were really in the correct line. Signs in the airport are confusing and no one at the airport speaks English. I recommend you prepare ahead of time for navigating this place! After clearing immigration we passed through customs easily (we were not picked for inspection), but we then had to go through airport security which was slow. We asked for directions to our gate and were given wrong info by 5 different people. The domestic terminal is huge and we had to walk the entire length of this horseshoe shaped terminal due to poor communication with airport officials! This was really inexplicable and inexcusable considering this airport’s status as an International Airport! Also, be prepared to see armed soldiers at both airports.

Christian gave explicit directions on how to navigate the Ixtapa airport and where to make contact with the hotel representative who escorted us to our taxi. Beware the many people trying to offer you rides. They are actually trying to rope you into a time share tour from what I was told. In any case, they were annoying. Though I didn't have a lot of time to analyze the situation, I didn't feel it would be very easy or perhaps safe to find a cab on my own. I definitely recommend booking transportation through the hotel!

The ride from the airport to the hotel is about 30 minutes. You can tell the area has been economically challenged, but it is clean and the roads seem well maintained. Christian prearranged for our driver to stop at a market for me to pick up some snacks. The store we visited was like a mini Walmart and sold everything from motor scooters to all food/drink, produce, wine, liquor, pharmacy, etc. We gave our driver a generous tip for allowing us the time for this stop. As we approached the hotel property, we were very impressed with how well maintained the roads were, most with adjacent, nicely maintained biking/walking trails and nicely maintained plantings in the center medians.

Once we arrived at the property we were greeted warmly and escorted to check-in. We were basically given a private tour of the property with explanations of all the amenities by Antonio. He is very gracious and spent a great deal of time with us, even taking us to our room and explaining all its intricate lighting controls, plunge pool heating, and other amenities. We were very impressed to find balloons on either side of the bed with “Happy Birthday” spelled out with rose petals and leaves on the bed! In my correspondence with Christian, he asked if there was any special occasion for our trip and I let him know it was a landmark birthday for me. This place is serious about exceeding all expectations! Our luggage was already in our room and arranged for easy unpacking in the enormous closet/bathroom area when we arrived and Christian had already placed an HDMI cable in the TV for me to use in case I didn't bring one!

I want to provide some clarity on the hotel layout. The hotel consists of approximately 60 suites, all facing south toward the ocean. If standing facing the ocean, the area to the right of check-in is often referred to as the “main pool” area in other reviews. This is where you will find the largest fresh water pool and most of the restaurants and rooms with more privacy and sun on the outside living space. The hotel structure to the left is on a bit more of a curve and may receive less sun and may have less privacy due to the curve. That side of the hotel has its own, smaller salt water infinity pool. Basic amenities of all the rooms are similar from what I understand.

My room reservation was for a Capella Deluxe Ocean Front Junior Suite. We had room 55, a corner room that Antonio says has one of the largest bathrooms on the property. Everything looks brand new and works as it should. Our outside area consists of a double sofa, chair, ottoman, and other small tables, along with our infinity pool. There is a partial roof overhead so you can retract out of the sun if desired. The area is completely private except for a distant property where no details are visible. We received direct sunlight from late morning through the afternoon, but the sun is high enough that it doesn’t shine into the bedroom and heat it up.

The living space is large with approximately 2/3s bedroom 1/3 bathroom. There is on air conditioner in the main bedroom. The bathroom gets very warm and steamy and we solved the problem by getting a box fan from the hotel to blow air from the bedroom into the bathroom. We always travel with a small box fan and used it to further distribute air in the bathroom during the day and then to blow air on us while sleeping at night. Yes, all this is a minor drawback of the property, but a trivial inconvenience in the scope of things.

The infinity pools are amazing and are surrounded by umbrellas and cabanas to stay out of the sun if desired. There are various areas you can access that are private for ocean viewing and you do have access to the ocean, but the area is very rocky and difficult to maneuver. The spa is fabulous with many treatment rooms in direct view of the ocean. The massage therapists are great. Whale spotting is an occasional treat according to staff.

The food quality and service is good but the menus are limited. We found the kitchen willing to make just about anything we could think of, so your imagination seems to be the only limiting issue. Room service is available 24/7 and you can get anything served on the property without limitation. Two custom lobster dinners cost $120. Hamburger was not that great. Our package included daily breakfast. We ate in the restaurant and anything on the menu was provided at no cost. The hotel makes its own pastries, jams, and fresh fruit drinks that are awesome. The hotel adds a modest service charge to all other food/drink orders but I always provided extra tip in Pesos and received truly exceptional service consistently.

All in all, a great place to visit and we will be back! Many thanks to all the staff who made this such an outstanding retreat!

Room Tip: Corner rooms on right side are very private and large. We had room 55 on the fifth floor. I'm...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Mark_Thebaut
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ixtapa
Sunscape Dorado Pacifico Ixtapa
Barcelo Ixtapa
Barcelo Ixtapa
#3 of 22 in Ixtapa
Azul Ixtapa Grand Spa & Convention Center

Been to Capella Ixtapa? Share your experiences!