“More of a 3.5”

Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
leahmonade
“More of a 3.5”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We were there for our honeymoon; It was a gorgeous hotel with gorgeous views, but I guess I prefer to be a bit more active. We were there for 7 days (it was supposed to be 8, but we cut the trip short due to Hurricane Raymond), and I think we probably did almost everything you could do at the resort and in the surrounding area. The staff is awesome, the food was great, but I think we were looking for a bit more variety. Then again, my review could be jaded a bit y the 2.5 days of staring at rain towards the end of our trip.

1 Thank leahmonade
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Appreciated guest:

First of all, I want to take this opportunity to thank you for sharing the beginning of your life as a family. I am delighted to know that you found Capella Ixtapa to have gorgeous views and that the hotel itself is spectacular. It is indeed unfortunate that your stay was somehow shadowed by the tropical storm Raymond; however it was a great pleasure for us assisting you and making you feel comfortable. We truly look forward to your return to paradise.

Eliezer Quinones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
McAllen, Texas, USA
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is an outstanding place. Was there 4 days and never left the property. The outside seafood grill where you selected your fish and the preparation style was unique and delicious. The waiters recommendation was just right. The spa is small, but well attended and really has everything your need. Rooms are spacious and I love the Mexican style of most of the room open to the sea view

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kenneth E
Appreciated guest:

Thank you for your visit to Capella Ixtapa. We are indeed glad that you enjoyed your visit at our beautiful hotel. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience during your stay with us.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Chicago
Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed last week from October 7, 2013 until October 13, 2013 for our honeymoon. This property truly is breathtaking. I viewed tons of pictures on TA prior to choosing and arriving but still found myself taken away by the amazing views around the resort and the rooms. The staff is incredible, warm, genuine and accommodating. As seen in the images, the rooms are simply amazing with great views, your own private infinity pool and an extremely comfortable bed. Not to mention many other nice technology touches in the room. While we were there we enjoyed an amazing couples massage on the outdoor deck. Listening to the sound of the ocean and feeling the breezes was an incredible addition to an amazing massage. We also took part in the private cooking class, which was probably our favorite experience of the trip. Visiting the market with the chefs was a great experience and then coming back for a private cooking demonstration/lunch was well worth the money. We had very high expectations from reading all the reviews regarding Capella and the resort lived up to them.

Room Tip: Capella rooms are on the highest 6th floor, so are more private, but if that is not important to you...
1 Thank wandalsh84
Appreciated guest:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience during your stay at Capella Ixtapa. Your feedback is very valuable to us!!!

We truly hope the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Santa Clarita, California, United States
Reviewed October 15, 2013

If you are looking for a bit of paradise - we know where it is! Capella is a gorgeous resort with views that are indescribable, multiple fabulous restaurants conveniently on the property and guest rooms with their own private pools and sitting areas. We went in August for our 35th wedding anniversary and it was everything we could have asked for if we had created our own dream resort. All the staff treated us like we were the most important people who ever stayed there. We can't wait to go back. When we were leaving they tied Capella ribbons on our luggage and we smile every time we look at them.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cheryl R
Hola amigos,

Thank you for sharing this amazing celebration with us. On behalf of all the staff at Capella Ixtapa I want to thank you for selecting Capella Ixtapa as your vacation destination. I am glad to hear that you had a wonderful time during your stay.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your experience as your feedback is very valuable to us. We truly hope the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Reviewed October 14, 2013

What an amazing place! My wife and I honeymoon'd here in late September. It was the end of the rainy season in Mexico, but the sun shined pretty much the entire week. Gorgeous views of the Pacific from everywhere - the rooms, restaurants, spa, etc. Yes, it's "boutique" and very pricey, but totally worth the experience. We had a killer suite (all the rooms have ocean views) with our
own infinity pool on the outdoor patio. The sound of the waves crashing against the rocks could be heard as you fell asleep and awoke. Very nostalgic. The staff at this place was incredible too. They made sure every need was met. Literally, anything I asked for was met with, "yes, sir... absolutely, sir." My wife is a picky eater and the chef even came out several times to discuss custom meal options. What a treat! I really can't say enough about the level or service from the folks at check-in to the waitstaff to the housekeeping. All around great people that made the experience that much better. Oh, and in case it wasn't good enough, each afternoon siestas of beer, chips and guacamole were brought to our room free of charge. A small token worth a thousand words. Hopefully, we'll be back soon!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David D
Appreciated guest:

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the view, the rooms, the restaurants, the spa, the entire resort. Thank you for your remarks and I will make sure to convey the same to the team.

We provide genuine and personal service to all our guests. And we are pleased to know that you had a memorable experience.

We truly look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The physical location of this property is gorgeous. The hotel is perched atop oceanside cliffs, with panoramic views of the sea from all common areas and nearly ever single room, including the bathrooms! My husband and I stayed in a room in the Cocotales wing and my mom stayed in a room right across the way, so we were able to see two different room types, both of which were very deluxe. Our room had a shaded plunge pool, a king sized bed, a walk in closet/bathroom area and separate toilet and shower area. My mom's room had a larger private pool in the sun, and a larger guest room, closet, bathroom area. Navigating around the property can be a bit tricky until you get the hang of where everything is located. There is a funicular that takes you up and down, but not all floors connect across the property, so navigation from our room to the lobby or restaurant took some getting used to. The spa was really pretty but completely empty while we were there. Upon our arrival, our bed was made up with beautiful fresh flowers spelling "Bienvenidos" and a tray of dried fruit and bottled water were waiting for us. The mini bar is stocked daily with bottled water, juices and soft drinks and they're all complimentary which is a really nice touch - especially for Americans who are weary of drinking non-bottled beverages. Food options at the hotel are tasty but quite expensive. We ate everything offered and had no tummy trouble at all! Everything feels very clean and fresh. The hotel offers beach cruisers, which we took down the road one afternoon because we were urged to check out Isla Ixtapa. In our opinion, this tour is totally unnecessary and a waste of time and money. Stay on the property at Capella for peace of mind, stellar scenery and relaxation. The staff is all very gracious and helpful and make you feel at home!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank alisa r
Appreciated guest:

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay here at Capella Ixtapa.
I am happy to know that you found our service exceptional. We are blessed with outstanding scenery and we are happy that you enjoyed it. Thank you for your kind comments regarding service, our staff is here to make sure you have everything you need in order to have an extraordinary experience.

We would to love to see you again at Capella Ixtapa and have the pleasure to assist you again.

Best Regards,

Noblesville, Indiana
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Our goal for our 10th anniversary was utter relaxation. Is there a word more definitive than utter? This place is beyond amazing. We've traveled to much of Mexico and the Caribbean and stayed at several "5 star" hotels in the States and none compare to Capella Ixtapa. In order of how my mind works:

Communication-I was in contact with Margarita and Andres (the personal assistants) several times from booking to the week prior to arrival. Their responses were always prompt and informative with exactly the information I needed to make our stay perfect including arranging an anniversary dinner with menu prior to our arrival.

Transportation-We did the suburban to and from the resort. It is a bit pricey, but the rep was right there after we cleared immigration and we were on our way within 5 minutes completely stress free. It was also stress free (if not just a bit sad) when we returned to the airport. We also had a very pleasant cab ride into Zihuatenejo with Chef Miguel for our cooking class with him.

Room- We had a capella deluxe oceanfront junior suite (#62). As you enter the room, you are greeted with the view from your front porch with plunge pool down to the Pacific waves crashing onto rocks below with the resort spread below you. Utterly amazing. We never tired of hanging over the plunge pool with drink in hand and absorbing that view and that sound. The main room was decorated with roses, a native flower decoration of a heart with butterflies on the bed and balloons. We also had a bottle of champagne chilled for us on arrival (as well as a small bottle of Don Julio 1942). None of that was requested, just arranged by Margarita and Andres. The room has a king sized bed that was quite comfortable. 2 nice sitting chairs, fridge with water and soft drinks and a large flat screen TV on a wall mounted swivel. The bed faces the sliding glass doors so you can stare at the ocean from the bed. A/C kept it nice and cool along with a nice, quiet ceiling fan. The bathroom is all stone and marble with a ton of storage and safe. Double sinks. Separate toilet room and shower with half windows made of wood/shuttered that can be opened to look out onto the ocean while showering or...well, you know.

Food- Breakfasts on our plan were included. Daily it consists of a huge fresh fruit plate with granola and honey drizzled over it, 2 eggs any style, refried bean in a crispy tostada and grilled veggies as well as toast, coffee or tea and juice of choice. You could also have a different choice including pastry basket and granola with the fruit plate. So fresh and filling. I believe you can sub for their other breakfasts, but when I perused the menu, our choice gave us everything I would have wanted for breakfast. Lunches by the pool or in the poolside restaurant were equally tasty and filling. Try the Capella burger. Trust me. We did dinner twice at A Mares. Air conditioned. Gourmet prix fixe menu with 4 choices for cold app, warm app, main course and dessert each. They were all so good. Nothing but the freshest ingredients treated with respect. The talent of the chefs is clear in their preparations and use of ingredients. The bread, oh my, the bread-so fresh and tasty! We also did dinner twice at the Seafood Market. It is just below the main pool, open air and right above the crashing waves. You pick you seafood (ex-shrimp, fillets of snapper, ronco, sea bass, lobster or whatever the fishermen brought in that day) and its preparation (3 choices) and your sides. It is then prepared right there on the deck and brought to you after an arranged appetizer for the day. We ate once in the terrace bar-tapas and such. Also quite good. Large appetizers both hot and cold with a large variety to choose from.
As I mentioned, we did have a dinner arranged prior to our stay on a private deck even closer to the water. Rose petals led us to the table. Candles lit all over. Our waiter was dedicated to us only. We were the only ones on the deck. The food was exquisite and the service was impeccable. It was as romantic as you can imagine.
On our last night, we were asked by Chef Rurik and Julian if we would be interested in a private dinner of the chef's making. We would have no idea of the menu-completely up to him. We agreed and were so happy to have done so. The dinner was 6+ courses. Each was introduced by the chef. We felt like Andrew Zimmern tasting exotic foods or simple foods prepared exotically, depending on the course. Head and shoulders the greatest meal we have ever experienced.

Experiences-We did a cooking class with Sous Chef Miguel that included a trip to the Zihuatenejo market where we picked our peppers, fruits and fish for 2 ceviches and 2 salsas we would make with him. Quite an experience. He is one of the friendliest people we have ever met. So informative as well. He is very dedicated to his craft and taught us some very simple ways to create some amazing food. We had a blast. She did a spa experience that she thoroughly enjoyed-a wrap with a massage of 80 minutes length. At the same time, I got to to a tequila tasting with Fernando, one of the food and beverage managers. He gave a fine history of how tequila came into being and then allowed us to taste 6 different tequilas with background into how they were made and kept us engaged by asking us what we tasted. He killed us at the end by giving us a mezcal to taste-yikes!

The staff-We have the utmost respect for all the staff, from the waiters to the housekeepers, to the managers. They all work LONG days-some 18+ hours. An example as to how invested they are into making your stay magical: by the third day, our waiters at breakfast and the pool knew I did not drink coffee and knew our room number. Same for the bartenders and waiters at the bar. Also, once they noticed we were drinking Pacifico by the pool, it became the beer that showed up in our room at 5:00 with the daily chips and salsa/guac. We have to personally recognize Margarita and Andres for making the arrangements stress free and for always going the extra mile to make sure we had everything we wanted. We would also like to thank Julian and Fernando for their constant concern to making sure our food and drink experience was what we wanted. Finally, thanks to Chef Miguel and the Chef Rurik for their tireless work into making this place a true gourmet lover's heaven.

There are other little secrets/treats that the staff provide, but I'll leave that for you to experience. I don't want to spoil all the surprises!!!

Room Tip: The higher you are, the better the view!
3 Thank irisharpe
Eliezer_Quin0nes, Director General at Capella Ixtapa, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Hola amigos,

Thank you so much for your visit and THANK YOU for your detailed review.

How lovely to read your comments regarding your stay at Capella Ixtapa. Thank you for your comments regarding service, we always strive to offer a genuine and flawless service to all of our guests.

I will be sure to pass on your kind words to Chef Rurik, Miguel, Margarita, Andres, Lucian & Fernando; your feedback is very valuable to us.

We hope to have the possibility to assist you once again in the near future.

Best Regards,