“FABULOUS”

Ranked #5 of 22 Hotels in Ixtapa
California
“FABULOUS”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

I went with my 2 daughters for a long weekend to celebrate the impending birth of my granddaughter, and what a great time we had!

The hotel is absolutely beautiful, in the most gorgeous location. I would definitely say opt for the deluxe category of room...they are slightly larger and have a huge, sunny terrace. The lower priced room has a shaded terrace.

The rooms are stunning. HUGE terrace, with a large plunge pool (be sure to call the desk to ask them to heat it to the temperature you like!) and comfy outdoor lounge furniture. We had the most beautiful view of the ocean. Every afternoon, drinks and chips and guacamole are brought to your room around 5pm. The bed is super comfortable, wifi works well, and the dressing room and bathroom are huge.

There is really not much of a beach, but two fabulous pools, one salt water and one fresh water.

Usually on vacation, we like to leave the property and eat and restaurants around town. We only did this once, because a) town is a little far away and b) the food at the hotel, and the terraces and restaurants where we ate were so fabulous. The chef will make anything you like, and even made a "double cooked" seviche for my pregnant daughter. The food is inventive but not crazy, and really delicious. The prices are not bad.

We took a cooking course offered by the hotel. The sous-chef and an assistant took us shopping in town for ingredients for our seviche and for our mole sauce. We bought fish, avocados, limes, etc. Then we returned to the hotel and learned how to prepare the dishes. Then we ate them! Yum!

Breakfast was included in our rate, and served on a lovely terrace overlooking the water. There was no buffet, but you just order whatever you want from the menu, and as much as you want!

The special fish dinner at the little restaurant on the point was great. As you walk in, you select the freshly caught fish you want to eat, and tell them how you would like it prepared.

The weather in early December was perfect. Warm, but not stifling, with a nice evening breeze. We just loved our stay at this beautiful hotel. It is true that the hotel was only 30% or so of capacity, and that always makes the stay nicer. But I think even at 100%, this hotel would make sure your stay was perfect and memorable.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms have the best terraces, sunny and bright.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank N R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

We would not have asked for ANYTHING more.
1 - the staff are hands down the sweetest people in the world. So nice, i almost didn't want to ask for anything because i was afraid what trouble they'd go through to make sure it happened! And not only are they sweet, they are efficient and genuine. They are all personable, and like their jobs (what a concept!). There is such a difference, and it allows the guests to enjoy everything as well.
2 - the rooms are gorgeous. Spacious, soft, fluffy beds, FREE mini bar that is refilled with cokes, waters, etc. The view of double doors overlooking the ocean from your bed every day is so amazing. The open air patios were my favorite part! we started and ended our days there. int he morning we'd make some coffee and sit in the plunge pool or on the large open air bed and watch the sun rise :) in the evenings, they brnig you fresh chips, salsa and guac (plus 2 cervesas!) at 5pm - every day! so we'd sit out on our terrace and enjoy our snack before our later dinner. (Tip: its a tropical climate, so there are some bugs at dusk! If you're prone to bites, pack some bug spray) The bathrooms were also gorgeous and spacious.
3 - the FOOD!!!! Oh my gosh, i cannot stop thinking about the food. this morning, our first day at home, i am so depressed to eat cereal. The breakfast was my absolute favorite! Nothing "weird", just delicious. Avoid the omlettes and pancakes... you can get those at home ANYTIME! I urge you to try the Roasted Eggs - get it with the mexican rolls and flour tortillas. It was all delcious, but that was our favorite! We usually were not that hungry for lunch, so we would get a snack by the pool or share something at Las Rocas terrace restaruant. They offer you a starter and a main, so we would get Guatemalan Ceviche and Fajitas and share them - it was great! The Seafood market was our favorite, fresh catches of the day and it includes a couple starters plus dessert. We went twice and enjoyed it SO MUCH! We never ate at the slightly fancier restarant, mostly because we got so cozy in our room most nights, we'd just skip dinner or order some room service :) But don't skip taco night! It was delicious.
4 - the spa. Knowing you can go to the steam room, use the hot tub, or just relax in there ANYTIME was great. We got the Hot Stone Massage in a couples room and it was to die for! 80 minutes of total relaxation.
5 - the location itself - absolutely breathtaking! The cliffs, the flowers, the sunshine... i am from Florida originally and am a total sun worshipper, and this place was good for my heart :) Every time i woke up and looked outside, i would smile! It was so pretty! Anywhere you were, from the lobby to the pool, to your room. it was just gorgeous and perfectly done.

My tips:
*Walk down to the little beach area in the morning (high tide) and find some shells!
*They bring home made popsicles around the pools during the early afternoon (around 1pm) and they are so yummy! And complimentary!
*Fresh chips and guac come to your door at 5pm every day. Yum!
*There is no "tap" water here - the water in your room and the water by the pool is complimentary. Being served water at breakfast/lunch/dinner will cost you about $5 per bottle. I would bring a bottle of water with me to breakfast, as i was mainly drinking coffee but might want a few sips of agua! So i just kept a bottle in my purse most times if i just wanted a few sips.
*Do the fish market at least once!
*Try the roasted eggs - trust me :)
*Don't be afraid to ask for something modified - i am a pescatarian (no meat, fish/seafood only) so many dishes were served w/ Chorizo - after a couple days, the sweet staff mostly rememered and would offer before i asked to request it without! And if you prefer corn/flour tortillas, it's never set in stone. They are so flexible and everything is FRESH! So enjoy it :)
*Don't forget your sun screen, it's really sunny!
*There is an iguana named Lola who sits on a large rock in the ocean near the larger pool (by las rocas restaurant). She's black with white markings. See if you can find her :)
*The fish on the door means "do not disturb" - the will always knock, but if you're going to enjoy some aloooone time... put the fish out so you don't have to awkwardly answer the door and ask for turndown service later ;) Also to be said, if you go for a bike ride or at dinner, we overheard the staff saying "Mr and Mrs Jones in room 100 are at breakfast" - signalling housekeeping that it was a good time to service the room!

my last and most important tip..... BOOK YOUR ROOM NOW! We are already planning our next trip. I would say this is a great romantic get away, honeymoon, or trip for a few couples to do together. The last day we were there a few families showed up, but apparently this is not very common. It's very much a "couples" place.

HAVE FUN! :)

Room Tip: The "Capella" suites are more expensive, but only because they are on 5th and 6th floors...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank renee c
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

My husband and I had never taken "sun" vacations since we are not sun-worshippers but our trip to this exceptional hotel has made us rethink future vacations!
Beautifully decorated suites with ability for open air ventilation, our own private balcony overlooking water and private infinity pool off our balcony are just a few of the reasons we still talk about this trip a few years later.
Staff is professional and courteous adding to the absolute relaxation and get-away atmosphere.
We will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for one with infinity pool but truly they all would have a private feel!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just went there with my wife.

It is one of those experiences you wish you could make a routine.

Rooms are great, food is awesome but the service is just spectacular.

Truly a vacation for the senses, beginning with the aromas in the Lobby and the room, the views from everywhere, hearing the sea washing the rocks just beneath the hotel, savoring great food, even the textures inside the room.

Advice: Have dinner in any of the restaurants, otherwise don´t leave your room. You have a small relaxing pool inside and you can order room service at the same cost you will get in the "public" pool.

Room Tip: Lower rooms are closer to the sea and the sound of the waves should be greater.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pedro G
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

My husband and I spent a week at Capella Ixtapa in August - Our time there was, without a doubt, the most relaxing vacation either of us had ever taken! The staff at Capella are what make this resort truly stand out above the rest. Our room was perfect and the views are not done justice by the pictures online. We spent many afternoon in our plunge pool and on our veranda reading and enjoying the sun and the peace and quiet.

The food overall was very good - We enjoyed all the restaurants during our stay. Breakfast tended to be my favorite, while my husband was fond of the tapas at the terrace bar. We had one disappointing dining event the evening the terrace bar offered a sushi special. We we arrived they'd run out of rice, and in attempting to make another batch had made extraordinarily sweet, overly mushy rice. We took advantage of a special event at the seafood market - the food and the views were amazing.

We both enjoyed a treatment at the spa and it was lovely. I didn't totally relax during my massage because the rooms was exceptionally bright (and I guess I"m used to dimmed massage rooms) but the masseuse was talented and responded well to my requests.

We ventured into Ixtapa and Zihua - While it was nice I didn't feel there was anything spectacular to either of them, and on the whole we preferred the relaxation of the resort.

I cannot say enough good things about our stay at Capella and we certainly hope to return!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank em_dcbeyond
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and myself visited Capella, July of this year to celebrate my husband's birthday. We stayed there for 5 days and I can honestly stay that those 5 days were one of my best 5 days of vacation ever! The only other place that would tie with this vacation would be the over water bungalows we stayed in during our honeymoon in Maldives :).

The extremely competent and friendly staff greet you right at the airport and from there on its just like stepping into paradise.

When we stepped into the lobby, our jaws dropped taking in the view. See, I had looked at all possible photos of this resort before going there. But NOTHING prepares you for the view that you see from the lobby and in fact from my place in this resort.

Day in and day out, we just enjoyed looking out at the ocean at various times of the day from our private plunge pool and the spectacular common pool next to the restaurant.

If you can manage to take your eyes off the view, then you can experience the delightful food in this place. The sea food market was outstanding with fresh food made so well!!

In fact all the restaurants in Capella are outstanding. They have an ambience that you cannot beat. On the last night of our stay, there was a thunderstorm. And thunderstorms here are like a show you can watch over dinner. Everything that night was just magical!

We took a few trips out of the resort and personally I didn't think they were worth leaving the resort for except for the trip into Zihua which was quite enchanting. I was pretty disappointed by capella island and the sunset sail trip - both have mediocre food and just meet our expectations.

I have to mention that I am a vegetarian and my husband is not. I was served some delicious vegetarian Mexican cuisine every single day and I was in heaven :).

I cannot end my review without thanking the staff who went out_of_their_way to put together a surprise for my husband on his birthday. Chef Gonzalo Rivera - Thank you so much for all the effort you put into making that dinner on my husband's night. I just cannot get that night out of my mind. Right from the drinks to the appetizers, soups to entrees and the delicious chocolate cake you made and personally_served, everything that night was PERFECT thanks to you and your staff!!

We will visit Capella again and again and again.
The disadvantage of visiting capella is this - You start comparing all your vacations with this one and end up longing to visit capella again! :)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Mexico Pali
Mexico City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

Everything you read in the other review is 100% true. The staff is super helpful, service is top-notch, the hotel is gorgeous, the food is very good (albeit a little bit pricey and portions were a little bit small for the price). We stayed in a Deluxe Ocean View Suite and it was one of the best (if not the best) room we ever stayed. From the infinity pool and outstanding deck, to a great bedroom and a formidable bathroom. Every little detail is amazing. If you are a fan of private plunge pools, this is your place. Most of the them are very private, with a direct ocean view and of very generous size.

It is worth noting that the hotel does not enforce a check-in, check-put policy. Basically, if the occupancy allows, you can check-in and check-out at any time. We arrived at 10:30AM and our room was ready. Our plane back home left Ixtapa at 9:45PM, so we checked-out at 8:00PM, and we were able to keep the room for the entire day!

The spa is also amazing (recently received a perfect 100 score by the Conde Nast Traveler readers poll). The jacuzzi, steam room, sauna and showers are excellent. We also had a massage that was very, very good.

In a hotel this good, the "negative" comments are just nitpickings. For example, rooms do not have iPod players nor any type of stereo (except for the music channels in the TV). The equipment in the gym is somewhat limited. Two treadmills, two elliptical trainers, two stationary bikes and a big set of dumbbells. No other weight-lifting apparatus is included.

If you are looking for a quiet, romantic getaway, look no further.

Room Tip: Deluxe suites are a much better option, than the Junior Suites. The infinity pool and the deck make...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple