“Capella So Awesome” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Ixtapa
kansas city
“Capella So Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

Just returned from a week at Capella and all i can say is wow! The place is top of the line. The staff, the rooms, the service, the view, the food are all stunning. I had the thrill of getting married at this awesome resort, they took care of the all the details, highly suggest them if you are thinking of a wedding. The deluxe rooms are too die for. The food is awsome. Take the cooking class that takes you to the town market great experience. I have been to Ritz Caltons, Four Seasons etc and this is right there with them. We will be back.

Greg
Kansas City

2 Thank wellsville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Manzanillo, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

Gorgeous hotel, not child friendly as it can be dangerous as it on a cliff. Perfect romantic getaway. Food and service first class but very pricey!!! No beach because of the high open waves, the hotel amenities are beautifull and you cant beat the views they are amazing!! All the rooms have spectacular views and great space as well. I would definetly return to have a quiet peacefull time. Its not downtown you need to rent a car or taxi. From the airport its 35 to 40 mins driving.

• Stayed April 2012
4 Thank Grimmetts
Indianapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2012

The wife and I spent 3 days at Capella during a 10 day stay in Ixtzpz/Ziho. Stunning resort!

Reception: From the moment you arrive you are treated as family, your bags are taken to your room as you are given a refreshing drink, a quick tour, and led to your room by reception staff.

Room: WOW, We stayed in the Deluxe suite. It was simply beautiful! Infinity pool with an outdoor loung area, comfortable bed, Amazing bathroom, flat screen TV. Snacks with beer every afternoon, A small welcome bottle of tequila,salt,lime and shot classes. I didnt want to leave the room.

Pools: The resort has 2 pools, both are great infinity pools. 1 is mild salt water. service at the pool is great. complimentary treats are brought to you throught the day. the view is simply stunning

Beach: NONE!! we stayed 7 days at Viceroy in Ziho witha fantastic beach, so no beach was fine for a few days. the luxury of Capella was well worth it.

Food: the food was good not great for what you paid for. We were charged 8$ for a bottle of water at dinner. This was not on the menu and I was under the impression water was complimentary at the resort. I dont mind spending $$ but that was just silly. Service at dinner was the same as every meal..fantastic. Theres a tapas bar at nightalong with the seafood restaurant if you dont feel like spending $$$$ on dinner..Tapas is still $$ bot not as bad. expect 150-200$ for dinner nightly

Service: Capella and Viceroy are both outstanding service. Everyone I met was helpful and seemed to really enjoy helping with any customers needs.Just great!!

Facilities: every corner you turn seemed to have spectacular views. The resort is decorated beautifully. Just a stunning place. The gym is nothing fancy but it gets the job done. Theres a library with several books, and snacks with coffee and tea service daily.

Room service: fast, accurate, warm, fresh, great menu.

All in all a great resort I would personally only stay 3-4 days as it is VERY quiet. and I like having a beach, but I would definately stay again, and reccomend it to a friend

Room Tip: No sunset or sunrise can be seen at this resort. stop at a markey and get snacks to save lots of...
6 Thank khevin
worcs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

this hotel is almost unfaultable.The major gripe I have is the price of wine.We like wine with our meals but are really not prepared to pay 50 us dollars and 70 us dollars (plus compulsory tip 15% plus the next section of the bill asking for an additional tip) for an identical wine that I can and do buy in uk for £5.99 (say 8 dollars ).I know hotels make profit on wine but this is ridiculous.I mentioned it and they agreed but I,ll bet it is still the same next year !!! In an extensive mexican tour this was the only hotel charging these sort of prices,Oh and did I mention 9 dollars for a small bottle of water!!!?

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

Went here for my honeymoon in March 2012. Even before we got there, Christian (one of the personal assistants) reached out to us to see if we had any food allergies, and if we needed transportation from the airport, etc.

So first - the rooms:
AMAZING - we had the deluxe ocean front junior suite with infinity pool. Some rooms have infinity pools, some have covered pools. I recommend the infinity ones, and those rooms tend to have more sun on your suite deck. Rooms were clean, comfortable, and pretty big. Flat screens, coffee makers, refrigerator (stocked daily with soda / juice / water / milk) at no extra charge. Bathrooms are very large with two sinks. Everything was kept spotless by housekeeping. You won't want to leave your room

The Restaurants:
The seafood restaurant is awesome & you choose the fish you want to eat. Set menu daily, and the food there is just amazing. ask when it's open though b/c it is not open everyday.
the bar is great and has tapas - again, all the food is awesome. There is one other restaurant (forgot the name) that is extremely good as well. These are all a bit pricey, but well worth it.

The hotel staff is great - everyone. They are so nice and helpful! You will be known by name here, and they are always willing to assist you with anything!

The hotel has 2 pools - both are great. There is one main one near the lunch place, an another one which is a little more secluded. Both have large infinity pools, and decks with lounge chairs, private bungalows, and a few waiters walkign around with water, frozen treats, etc. It's not one of those hotels where you have to "reserve" a spot either, they have plenty of room.

Anything else I could say has probably been said a thousand times already. There is not really a swimming beach, but there is one less than a mile away - and it's very nice. I recommend Playa Linda, and taking a trip to Ixtapa Island. It's beautiful and a lot of fun.

If you are questioning this place, DON'T. You will not regret your stay here. Happy Travels!!

Room Tip: 5th or 6th Floor are the most private.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jlabate216
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

spent 3 nights at the tail end of a Zihuatanejo house rental week. The resort is as beautiful as the pictures on the web site. It s new, all of the rooms have great ocean views, the decor is very focused on mexican design and fantastic. We loved the room, the fresh breezes in through the creative shower and bathroom windows, the outdoor plunge pool, etc.

The staff was very helpful, plenty of english to go around if necessary, but very willing to engage you in spanish if like me, you enjoy practice.

High marks for a well designed and kept spa with very talented staff.

Lastly, the food throughout the stay was fantastic. If you are interested in creative, high end and staple mexican items with a creative flair, you will love it. Took cooking lessons from their executive Chef, Gonzalo Rivero Jr, and had a fantastic time learning more about traditions and styles rather than just sitting by the pool the entire time.

Will be back, recommend you give it a try if you like high end, quiet luxury, great food, great views and have some sophistication.

If you want the bustling beach, typical american experience, go elsewhere. you'll have more fun and people like me will enjoy it more as well.

Room Tip: the higher floors have best views and the best plunge pools.
2 Thank martinimarc
Cornwall, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2012

We are a couple in our early fifties. We were at the Capella in Ixtapa for a week in March.
I have to agree with most people on their reviews of the resort BUT here is our story...

The moment we got there we were amazed at the resort. When taken inside to register we were greeted in a very friendly manner. We were asked to check our info on the registration card. I looked it over and found that they were NOT giving us the room that we booked for (and paid the first two nights for). I pointed it out to Christian and Nelly and they talked in Spanish (which we know none of, except the common words). After about five minutes, Christian explained to us that OUR room was still being occupied by someone else and they would be there until Sunday. (This is Friday at noon) He asked us if we would be willing to take another room in the mean time BUT it would be a downgrade and at a lower floor for those two nights and then they would put us in an upgraded room for the last five nights. Of course, we cannot very well say no, so we agreed. But, WHO DOES THAT to your clients?? Would you not tell the other couple that that room is already booked and maybe find THEM another room for the extra days??? It didn’t sit well with us. And if I had not noticed the error, we would never have known that we were NOT getting what we paid for!!!!

Not to mention all that went wrong from the start…
We were given our room key and since it was lunch time, we went down to lunch, when we returned to our room, we couldn’t remember our room number. I thought it was 26 so we went there. The key opened the door BUT it wasn’t our room!! We quickly left and tried 28, that was our room. We were baffled as to why our key worked on someone else’s room so we tried the room in front of us, just to see, guess what? IT OPENED THAT ONE TOO! So, we went down and told the front desk about it. Nelly gave us another key. When we went back to our room, we tried the neighbour’s room again, just to see, and you guessed it, it opened it again. It was VERY unnerving knowing that we could open other client’s rooms with our room key.

We were also told that we were getting guacamole, chips and beer everynight between 5pm and 6pm. We only started getting it the 4th night into our stay.

The room had many things wrong with it. The phone rang and when we went to pick it up, it wouldn’t answer, you could NOT answer the phone. And to add to that, the door bell did not work either, so we didn’t know if anyone was at our door. The first night we missed the maid because she used the door bell and got no answer, so she tried to call us and we couldn’t answer so she didn’t do our room. I went down the next morning to tell them about the phone and the bell and they said they would send someone to fix it. It never got fixed, had to tell the maid to knock on the door as the bell didn’t ring.

That day, my husband went to put something in the safe, guess what, the safe broke. At this point,we know that the door bell doesn’t work and that possibly someone can accidently enter our room at any time ) and that our valuables are not in the safe!!

The next morning we were suppose to get a new room, they told us that we would have a choice of 3 rooms, the first one was the exact one we just left but on a higher floor, the second one was much better and bigger, also on a higher floor, we took that one. It took them until 3pm in the afternoon to move us over there. We gave them our key from the first room in exchange for the new room key. Can you guess what we did? We tried it on the neighbours room and IT OPENED IT. Christian was there when my husband showed him this, all he said was “hmm that’s weird”!!! So we made sure that the safe worked, the door bell worked and the phone worked before they left us there. All was good. We still had a concern that the key system is not secure.

The other thing that happened was that I asked for a patio umbrella to be put on our terrace and was told yes, but nothing happened, I asked again at the front desk later that day but still nothing by bed time. The next morning we ran into Irwin, I think he is the assistant general manager, and I asked him for one and we had one when we got back from breakfast.

That first evening in our new room, my husband opened the door only to find a broken light shade outside on the Terrace. These are huge shades!!! There were shards of glass everywhere. A maintenance man came over later to pick up the broken pieces and replace the broken shade. He only used a broom to sweep the outside terrace. This made me quite nervous because we were barefeet most of the day. I wore a light material slipper and that afternoon, a piece of glass penetraded my slipper and stuck in my foot. I can see the blood starting to flow through my slipper.

We said; “When is this going to end?”

I have to say that it wasn’t all bad. The wait staff and chefs were VERY FRIENDLY and bent over backwards to please us. The food was amazing!!! Although expensive. The resort itself is gorgeous.

The last few days we had went well.

I would suggest to please review your statement very carefully when you first sign in!!! Make sure you get what you pay for!!!

Be very vigilant!!! Hopefully within a very short period of time that Capella is reading this, the issue of the room keys will be resolved.

Room Tip: Higher level rooms are best!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple