“Real homemade Mexican Food!”
Review of Cuchillo Creek Cafe - CLOSED

Cuchillo Creek Cafe
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Yes, it is a little out of the way from the day to day hubbub, but that's a plus in my view. My wife and I go as often as we can.

Chef/owner Lydia provides a limited menu, but with unlimited taste and authenticity. REAL blue corn tortillas, fabulous chile, and the BEST sopapillas found anywhere. Service is excellent, and Lydia personally makes sure you are being well cared for. Prices are reasonable ($6 - $8). Fellow patrons are always friendly AND interesting. Fabulous place.

1  Thank Phil D

Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I recently made our annual visit to the New Mexico area to pick up our chile for the year. . . . We typically stay in TorC to hit the hot springs for a few nights and this time we read about the Cuchillo Creek Café, which is about 10-15 miles just outside of TorC off highway 52. We definitely wanted to stop in and give it a try (we're adventurous people in the food business who LOVE to find hidden gems). Unfortunately, we found out they would not be open when we were in the area, but to our delight the owner (Lydia Torrez) offered to open and make lunch just for us - what a treat!!!
We were presented with homemade blue corn enchiladas (her specialty), rice, beans, and scrumptious sopapillas. Lydia grinds the organic blue corn everyday for her tortillas and the chile comes from the farm across the road. This is the kind of adventure we live for when traveling, it was truly one of the highlights of this year's road trip and we plan to make it back whenever we are in the area.
So, if you find yourself in the TorC area you must make a point to stop in a grab a bite. . . . this is some of the best food you'll find and the 100 year old café (former home of her in-laws) makes it even more special. Double check the hours, I think right now she is open on the weekends - it's definitely worth the trip!!
A tip - You might think you are traveling down a road to nowhere, no worries, you'll come upon Cuchillo, NM and the café is just past the old town church.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

A little out of the way, but well worth the drive. I had stuffed sopapilla plate, which was amazing!! The owner, Lydia, came out to introduce herself, we laughed, shared stories... It was one of the best dining experiences I've had. I will add that the honey sopapilla a that came with our meal are the best I've ever had!!

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Quaint little cafe. Great food, other diners were welcoming and friendly. Even met a regular. Lydia, the owner came out to introduce herself, she is friendly and fun. Definitely an added bonus to the dining experience! We will definitely be back! Well worth the drive.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

I was exploring the ghost towns outside of Elephant Butte/T or C and happenend upon this wonderful little gem. The food was immediately served, their yummy blue corn chips, flavorful salsa to honey dripped sopapilla's was magical, and Lydia/Tony were delightful. I wish I could get this type of home cooking every day! They do a wonderful job of serving up the real deal New Mexico cuisine. Best chile relleno's I have ever had.