“New changes are a definite improvement”
Review of The Winning Post

The Winning Post
Ranked #1 of 1 Winkfield B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 30, 2012

I visited here a few weeks ago and was shocked by the changes. I had driven past it a number of times during its refurbisment and it looked amazing. I went in midweek for some lunch with family and it was fantastic! I love the new look, the staff were helpful and the food was good, but maybe slightly too expensive. The horses in their boxes and the private dining room were all great! I loved the gazebo in the garden, and all the rest. Keep the good work up!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed November 14, 2012

After hearing that The Cottage Inn had been taken over we were keen to try it out (we had visited under the previous ownership and found the staff to be really snooty!) as it's not far from home and could be a great local, independent place to eat or have a couple of drinks.

We were looking for somewhere to eat for my partner's birthday lunch and, as it was a Monday, our usual favourite was unfortunately closed so we decided to check the Winning Post out. On entering we were welcomed by a member of staff and given the menu to look at, it all sounded good and the decor was very pleasant, so we decided to stay for lunch.

To start the celebrations we had a couple of glasses of champagne, when it arrived one of the glasses was chipped on the bottom, which looked a little shoddy but is hardly the end of the world. However it was when our starters arrived that we began to think things weren't all they were cracked up to be. The presentation was a bit "1970s", which can be overlooked easily if the food is good but neither starter had much flavour to it, like it hadn't been seasoned. I had the smoked salmon, all they really had done was take some smoked salmon out of a packet and popped it on a plate with a slice of lemon - fine in a standard pub but for the price they were charging for it I thought this was a pretty poor show. My partner also had a salmon starter but said it really tasted of very little.

We were hoping the mains may be a little better but on arrival I could tell we were going to be a bit disappointed. I had ordered a pork chop with bubble and squeak, as its not often you see it on a menu, however the chop was very overcooked and was completely dry. The accompanying bubble and squeak was fine but again under-seasoned. My partner ate the steak and kidney pudding with root vegetable purée, which was probably the best dish that we had ordered and he said had a nice flavour. We declined to have desert as we had been disappointed with the food so far.

Lunch for two came to over £100 for two courses, three glasses of champagne and a glass of red wine. I think this is quite pricey, I would happily pay this if the food was very good but it was not up to scratch at all. I think they should also consider offering a cheaper set lunch during the week as there is no separate lunch menu and I think most people would be hesitant to spend this much (even without the wine) on a weekday meal, which is perhaps one of the reasons they were so quiet (only 2 other tables) whilst we were there. It seems like they are trying to be quite upmarket with their menu (and prices!) but it just doesn't deliver in food quality unfortunately.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alliei80
Reviewed November 12, 2012

I've just moved into the area and I have tried all the local pubs and this is the best by far. Really nice welcoming atmosphere and great food and beer. Also in contrast to other gastro pubs, the decor has been done in a truly individual style and not in an identikit Fullers or Green King format

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2012

OK OK The Cottage Inn (now The Winning Post) was never going to be the same after Bobby King left. It's now under new management (again) and I was a little apprehensive about going - not many great reviews and I had heard the refurb was a little 'clinical'. Things didn't get off to a flying start as when I booked at rather short notice I was told "no worries we catered for 92 last Saturday so we can fit you in". Well that made me feel very special - I'm going to be one out of 100. However we arrived and there was a subtle buzz about the place although the tables cleared very quickly around 9pm which seemed a little early for the place to die down. The food was good, the wines were nice. I'm not a dessert person so I ordered the cheeseboard. I was a little disappointed as the cheese was already laid out for me, I wasn't told what I had on my board and it came with Creme Crackers which for nearly £10 I thought was underwhelming. The staff are very pleasant (shame our waiter didn't know the specials and had to read them off a scrap of paper). I think with a little more polish the place could pick up and be quite a nice place for Saturday night out, but if you're looking for something special then there are certainly better restaurants in the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Shanni B
Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

Having read the reviews, and also being a die hard Cottage Inn fan, I booked fearing disappointment but needed to find out for myself. What a pleasant surprise. A lovely meal ensued. Yes the menu was shorter, but the food was delicious and the staff attentive. I kind of missed having to brave the elements to visit the was room but I have to say the refurb is sympathetic to thr buildings charm. If you go with an open mind and treat it as a new venture rather than to compare it to The Cottage in Bobby's day you probably will enjoy yourselves and have a lovely meal.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank JonnersB
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Used this hotel as a springboard to collect relative from Heathrow and then commute to London from Slough – good value hotel , friendly and helpful staff. One problem was that the booking was for the Cottage Inn but it has changed it’s name to The Winning Post which foxed us initially but this was resolved by a quick telephone call. Breakfast was a little disappointing but for the price and location I don’t think we can complain. Would certainly use again and recommend to others

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Had no idea the lovely Cottage Inn had been sold to a pub chain organisation. Took my girlfriend after Ascot, and told her it would be amazing as others have said it used to be so! Sadly this was not to be. I should have known as she warned me "it might not be good under new management" and wow she was right! No wonder it was not fully booked out. Staff were friendly and clearly trying to impress but they must have ditched the previous kitchen staff and they got rid of all the cute features of the cottage inn, the romantic table clothes and candles, to modernise it.

Side plates were on the table but no bread ever came. Why even have them then? Drinks were tasteless. What gastro pub cant make a good tomato juice. Gin and tonic again bad. Starters were very average and the mains no better. We took a look at the dessert menu but by that time decided to make a run for it, then stung with 80 quid bill !!! For bad pub food. Very very sad end to an other wise great day in Ascot. RIP COTTAGE INN. AVOID this place.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank markymark24
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winkfield
Macdonald Windsor Hotel
#2 of 19 in Windsor
Castle Hotel Windsor MGallery Collection
5 mi away
Sir Christopher Wren Hotel and Spa

Been to The Winning Post? Share your experiences!