“Appauling”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I have been coming here for years and was absolutely disgusted with the service I received. On arrival we waited to be attended for a few minuets, then it took over 10 minuets to be asked if we wanted something to drink. The drinks arrived and it took the waiters over 45 minuets to an hour to ask us for our order . At this point we were hungry and getting very annoyed they it took that long. When we tried to get the waiters attention I felt that we were ignored. When we eventually got their attention and asked for more drinks half the order did not come, we also asked for water which took and hour and half to come. This service has been the worst ever received, I was so disappointed. The best part of the night was when the food came out, cannot fault it any way, except for the portions being so large and not being able to finish it all up. Food was soo delicious, welldone chefs, at least that wasn't a disappointment. When we finished our meal once again they took ages to give us the desserts menu, we actually left without eating dessert as they took ages to once again serve us. We asked for the bill and left. The whole atmospheres wasn't what it used to be. When you are waiting around to be served there is alot of time to see what's going on around, and I was also apauled how very young people were being served alcohol without any sort of ID, and they were defiantly under age. This doesn't look good on the business. I don't think I will be returning here for a very long time, if again. I'm sure I can spend my money elsewhere without the feeling of being ignored and unwanted by the waiters. I give this 3 stars only for the food as if this was to rate the service I wouldn't give any.

1  Thank m1dge

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Sorry but this must be my worst experience of an Italian meal. Granted it's basically a pizzeria but that said I have had far better. The food was OK but the location and service were awful. Location - the restaurant sits in the middle of Winkfield Row which houses a couple of schools and a few houses, and despite the speed restriction of 20 MPH cars still hurtle pass. No great views for those who opt for al fresco dining. Service - we arrived for lunch. There must have been at least TEN other diners seated. We increased this to 15 (2 adults and 3 children aged 6 and under). Our order was taken promptly but it took over an hour to deliver the food to our table. When I suggested we had been seated for nearly 60 minutes they had the audacity to question this. Considering the wait the food was passable, that said my friend's meal looked like the chef had forgotten he had placed in the oven as it looked VERY WELL BAKED. Heaven only knows what would have happened had a couple of take away orders been phoned in!!! At the prices - which are OK for this part of Berkshire - I would give this place a wide berth unless you are very hungry and you have time to kill .... the two of which do not really go hand in hand. Don Beni - Been Gonni as far as I am concerned.

4  Thank Shanni B
Reviewed July 7, 2012

We have been regular customers since the day it opened. It's close to where we live and just convenient for when we decide it's easier to eat out. As other reviewers have said, the atmosphere can be very buzzy but the service you receive very much depends on who is there on the night.

If you go when the Maderian manager or his Assistant manager is there, you can be assured of a warm welcome and generally attentive service. If not, it's a bit of a lottery to be honest as the rest of the team don't appear to be as focused. If you're really unlucky, the owner will be there making his utter contempt for his customers very clear. If really, really unlucky he will also be very drunk and positively rude if he decides to target you. It also puts the staff on edge as they are more per-occupied with controlling him than serving you. Luckily, none of my vists in the past two months have coincided with him being there.

The food is pretty average and it has gone a bit pricey more recently. However, you can have a couple of pizzas and glasses of house wine and come away paying about £35. The presentation of the dishes is a bit lacking and it feels quite dated compared even to some of the high street chains. Can't grumble about portion size though.

Parking is very easy and there is a pleasant enough outdoor eating area. Seems popular with large parties as they will make a fuss of you if it's a birthday or other anniversary. Not special enough though to go to if you're looking for a real treat.

1  Thank Alan T
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We went here for a family dinner and were impressed with the menu choices. This is a very busy and obviously popular restaurant. The food was faultless and the staff friendly and attentive. Service was a little slow but we did choose Ascot week to visit so the restaurant was packed to the rafters and that probably added to the Italian aspect. Despite heavy bookings we were allowed to take our time and enjoy our meal at a leisurely pace.

Reviewed June 26, 2012

We go here for all sorts of reasons, you can choose a quick pizza and a beer on a Sunday afternoon or go for the a la carte for a nice night out to suit all tastes. Service is almost always impeccable and staff are friendly and helpful. Could do with injecting a bit more 'Italian Banter' back into it maybe as the waiters are not quite so witty and amusing now that they don't seem to have so many native italians serving. Always polite though.