“Excellent Sunday lunch”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Visited here for the 1st time this weekend with family. Great location for a drink on a summers day. Sunday roast was lovely and a huge portion. Other food also looked good as it was carried past. There was a wait of 45 mins for the food but to be fair the place was packed so it's what you'd expect if no reservation.

There are newer reviews for Admiral Nelson

Reviewed May 4, 2014

Visited Sun 4th May for lunch after having called in for a drink a few weeks earlier. On a sunny day this pub cannot be faulted for location situated right next to the canal lock, with lots of passing boats to keep us entertained.
This was just as well as our food took 45 mins to arrive. We deliberately arrived earlyish for lunch as we had read here that service was slow and pub very busy at weekends. Hardly anybody here when we arrived, so we expected service to be fairly quick. So were rather dismayed by the delay, but enjoyed sitting in the sun with fairly high expectations considering the previous reviews. We had ordered scampi, sunday pork roast and 8oz burger. To be fair the portions were generous and my wife was impressed with the roast. However the burger was only just warm and I suspect that it had been dished up before the other meals and left to cool before being served.
In addition there is obviously a premium added to the menu for sunday - £11 for all mains. Not exceptional for good quality food, but I would describe ours good standard pub grub in a generous portion.
They would have be much better value at the prices advertised on the pub website at c.£2 less each - midweek prices? So we probably won't be eating here again, although it is still a great spot for a leisurely drink on a sunny day and we'll probably be back for that.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

The pub was taken over a little while ago and it has been given a light and airy makeover while still keeping the flagged floor and open fire in the bar area. It's a lovely setting by the canal. It is a great place to stop if you have a narrow boat or to go for a walk. The service was a tad slow but friendly. The food was very good and I noticed they have a good range of beers. The main meal was £11.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

The Admiral Nelson is on the canalside in Braunston, this was the first time we have eaten there. The food was nice, my husband had the brisket of beef and was a bit more impressed than myself and my son. The food is presented really well, the staff friendly and the pub location is great, only gripe was that the food took nearly an hour, luckily it was worth it.(hence the average service score)

Reviewed March 27, 2014

As a family of self confessed foodies we were recommend the Admiral Nelson for Sunday lunch and we weren’t let down, the starters of scallops and minestrone soup were a lovely mixed of flavours. Definitely a contender for the best minestrone I’ve had. Mains were a mix of the 12 Hour beef and gammon egg and chips, which we were lucky enough to be presented with golden double yolker egg and the beef was scrumptious. My only bad point was there was too much food and I couldn’t eat it all, by dad even asked for a doggie dog! Fantastic meal and great value for what you pay. I would even say you could charge more!