“good food and lovely location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Admiral Nelson

Admiral Nelson
Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Braunston
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Northants
“good food and lovely location”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The Admiral Nelson is on the canalside in Braunston, this was the first time we have eaten there. The food was nice, my husband had the brisket of beef and was a bit more impressed than myself and my son. The food is presented really well, the staff friendly and the pub location is great, only gripe was that the food took nearly an hour, luckily it was worth it.(hence the average service score)

• Visited April 2014

Daventry, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

As a family of self confessed foodies we were recommend the Admiral Nelson for Sunday lunch and we weren’t let down, the starters of scallops and minestrone soup were a lovely mixed of flavours. Definitely a contender for the best minestrone I’ve had. Mains were a mix of the 12 Hour beef and gammon egg and chips, which we were lucky enough to be presented with golden double yolker egg and the beef was scrumptious. My only bad point was there was too much food and I couldn’t eat it all, by dad even asked for a doggie dog! Fantastic meal and great value for what you pay. I would even say you could charge more!

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Poor Quality and Service”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

My wife and I called at the Admiral Nelson for a coffee and soup Saturday lunchtime and waited over 30 minutes for the soup to arrive (this was after I made enquiries to the lady who took our order). When it finally arrived the soup (minestrone) ingredients were not cooked and the accompanying baguette was so under cooked it was inedible! The baguette was obviously a frozen one! I complained to the lady who took our order who was apologetic but still charged us for the tonic water and coffee which we has intended to drink with our meal. It was clear that they had run out of soup and attempted to cobble something together quickly and failed disastrously! For the prices the Admiral Nelson charges, customers are entitled to quality fresh produce and expertly prepared and cooked….it is not all about presentation! This is just poor pub food. Unlucky??

2 Thank Geoff P
Lutterworth, United Kingdom
“Wonderful weather caused a slight issue.”
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

This our 3rd lunchtime visit here in the passed month. After "sleeping on on" yesterday's visit my thoughts haven't changed.
The food & service here is usually excellent & I would normally highly recommend the Admiral Nelson. The quality of ingredients & the skills involved to produce fabulous dishes time & time again, can not be overlooked.
The transformation that has taken place since "newly taken over" is to be admired.
Saying all that it is understandable why so many people flocked here on Sunday. What was a shame is that this meant we had to wait for 45 mins for a starter (fantastic terrine & scallops) & another 30 mins for our main course. This meant that whilst the flavours of the vegetables were awesome, the majority was extremely overdone. The exception was a melody of French beans, peas & kale which were practically raw.
To be commended was the 12 hour beef, fabulous!
We can only assume they were unable to find enough staff to cope with sudden change in the weather.The ladies that were there gave excellent service.
Has it put us off going again? Unfortunately for Sunday lunch, yes. We just don't have the time to sit waiting for that long."To much to do with not enough time to do it in"
Should it put you off? NO, please give them a go, when they get it "right" it really is 5*!

Stanford-Le-Hope, United Kingdom
“Superb Sunday Lunch”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We booked a table here whilst we were in the area for a short break and were so glad that we did. Starters were scallops for my wife and home-made tongue & cheek terrine for me. These were new dishes to us and were very tasty indeed.
The main course we both chose was 12-hour braised brisket. This was possibly the best beef we had eaten ! It just fell apart and was well-presented on herby mash with a yorkshire pudding balancing acrobatically on the top. It was carved in a thick slice, was exceedingly tasty and came with a superb selection of vegetables. We just could not finish it, which was a crying shame ....
To round off the meal, we asked for dessert to take away and we both chose a slice of home-made malteaser cheesecake which we had that evening. Wow ! Absolutely delicious !
Add to this the two wonderful young ladies who looked after us and a final bill below £45, it must rank as the best Sunday Lunch we have had. We could not recommend it highly enough.

We visited over the Valentines weekend so the canalside was still a bit muddy. If you were to visit on a sunny day, it is a very pleasant area to sit outside and watch the passing boats go through the locks and enjoy the atmosphere. They also have Real Ales on tap, which just added to the experience for me !

All in all, if were to visit the area again, we would certainly go back for another selection from their menu !

• Visited February 2014