“Don't think you can surf? You will if you use Zicazteca! !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Zicazteca Surf School

Zicazteca Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: Zicazteca Surf School - Specializing in Surf Lessons, Surf Trips, and Custom Surf Board Painting in Puerto Escondido, Oax.Puerto Escondido has long been known as a world class surf destination. Come learn from a true local, whose family has lived here in Puerto for generations. Julio Soto Noyola will be your instructor and guide.As a surf instructor Julio's goal is to provide safe and fun surf lessons for beginner - intermediate surfers. He has many years experience as a surf instructor and has taught students both here in Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca and in Sayulita, Nayarit. He uses boards that are specifically designed for beginner surfers with a softer surface material and flexible fins for safety.If you are a seasoned surfer coming to Puerto for the best the waves have to offer, Julio can take you to surf destinations within several hours of Puerto Escondido. These spots have epic waves and the added bonus of being less crowded. Let us know what you are interested in and we can set it up for you. Professional photo sessions are available.Custom surf board painting is available upon request. Julio is extremely creative, ask to see some photos of previous projects.
“Don't think you can surf? You will if you use Zicazteca! !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014 via mobile

I have been to Puerto Escondido several times this summer while living in Oaxaca City. Part of the reason for my new found love for Puerto was the surf lessons from Julio, Hector and his team. I had never surfed prior to Puerto and was nervous. The instruction on dry land helped put me at ease (more than before anyways :). I only speak a little Spanish so i was even more comforted by the fact that his entire team spoke English. Once in the water it was hard to hold onto any fear as Julio and his team bobbed in the water smiling and cheering you on every wave at a time. After each wave you would paddle back and receive clear tips on how to improve or what you should pay attention to. I have had several lessons with Julio and his team during several trips to Puerto. These guys never loose their passion, professionalism or happy spirits. I would recommend Julio and his team to people of all types, ages and experience. Thanks again for the great experience!

Trenton, New Jersey
“Best surf lessons in Puerto Escondido”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

I went to Puerto with a group of 16 students that were studying abroad. We wanted to learn how to surf but didn't all speak great English. Luckily our program director knew about Julio's program where they give lessons in English and Spanish. When Julio met up with our group he was really generous and even helped transport some of our group members to the beach. He started by giving us a basic lesson on the beach and really made sure that every single person in the group was understanding what he was showing us. When we paddled out into the water we felt comfortable and safe. There was a group of 3 instructors with us and they all had big cheerful smiles on ready to help us catch our first wave. When Julio and the other instructors were out in the water with us I could tell they were there to help us actually experience surfing, not just get paid for the surf lesson. They really did all the little things to make everyone felt comfortable and helped everyone catch a wave. We even went back the next day for another lesson. If you are going to Puerto Escondido you won't find a better surf lesson than the one you can get with Julio and his team at Zicazteca!

Visited June 2014
Bailieboro, Canada
“For the best Surf experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

The best in Puerto by far. Have visited Puerto Esc. this year and last and between myself and other family members have taken lessons with 4 different Surf Schools. Julio and Hector are the best by far. Value, thoroughness as well as personable and an extremely knowledgable team. If your thinking of learning to surf you won't find better. Oh yeah and ask Lalo Romero to Gopro your outing!!!

Visited February 2014
Allen, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Surfing Paradise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2014

I don't write many reviews, but when something is so outstanding, I can't resist. I was in Huatulco, Mexico with my family for a week in March 2014. We drove the hour and a half up to Puerto Escondido for a surf lesson for my wife and three kids. I have surfed in California and in Hawaii several times and taken surfing lessons on a few occasions. But our experience with Julio and Hector "Motor" at the Zicazteca Surf School blew away anything we have done in the past. We went to Carrizalillo Beach and started with some instruction on the sand then off into the waves. The waves at Carrizalillo beach were perfect for learning giving a long straight ride without the wave fully breaking so you didn't have to surf the white wash, just a long smooth ride. Julio and "Motor" were extremely helpful and always giving great feedback. The two first timers, our 13 year old twins, took to the waves easily and were up surfing wave after wave from the very start. There was no clock on the session either. Julio and Motor just kept going as long as the waves were good. Finally the tide started coming in and the waves died out so everyone came in. These were better waves for learning than anything I have experienced in California or Hawaii, the beach was gorgeous and the Surf instruction from Julio and Hector was superior to any other surf instructors I have ever had. If you want the best surfing experience EVER, I highly recommend the guys at Zicazteca Surf School. They are the BEST!!!

But wait, there's more. We were not familiar with Puerto Escondido and Julio was not busy that day so he went to lunch with us and showed us his favorite authentic Mexican food (ordered stuff not even on the menu). We also were looking for some specific Mexican tapestries and he asked a few people then went by the two shops with us to help us find what we were looking for. Julio and Hector were two of the nicest and funnest guys to hang out with. We truly had a fantastic day in Puerto Escondido with the help of our new amigos Julio and Hector.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Dale F
“Really improved my surfing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

I had an amazing time surfing in Puerto Escondido.. I did 4 classes with Julio and Hector and really improved my surfing! They give very personal instructions and individual feedback - the best surf classes I've had so far.

They are great guys and great teachers.