“Surfing Paradise”

Zicazteca Surf School
More attraction details
Owner description: Zicazteca Surf School - Specializing in Surf Lessons, Surf Trips, and Custom Surf Board Painting in Puerto Escondido, Oax.Puerto Escondido has long been known as a world class surf destination. Come learn from a true local, whose family has lived here in Puerto for generations. Julio Soto Noyola will be your instructor and guide.As a surf instructor Julio's goal is to provide safe and fun surf lessons for beginner - intermediate surfers. He has many years experience as a surf instructor and has taught students both here in Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca and in Sayulita, Nayarit. He uses boards that are specifically designed for beginner surfers with a softer surface material and flexible fins for safety.If you are a seasoned surfer coming to Puerto for the best the waves have to offer, Julio can take you to surf destinations within several hours of Puerto Escondido. These spots have epic waves and the added bonus of being less crowded. Let us know what you are interested in and we can set it up for you. Professional photo sessions are available.Custom surf board painting is available upon request. Julio is extremely creative, ask to see some photos of previous projects.
Reviewed March 25, 2014

I don't write many reviews, but when something is so outstanding, I can't resist. I was in Huatulco, Mexico with my family for a week in March 2014. We drove the hour and a half up to Puerto Escondido for a surf lesson for my wife and three kids. I have surfed in California and in Hawaii several times and taken surfing lessons on a few occasions. But our experience with Julio and Hector "Motor" at the Zicazteca Surf School blew away anything we have done in the past. We went to Carrizalillo Beach and started with some instruction on the sand then off into the waves. The waves at Carrizalillo beach were perfect for learning giving a long straight ride without the wave fully breaking so you didn't have to surf the white wash, just a long smooth ride. Julio and "Motor" were extremely helpful and always giving great feedback. The two first timers, our 13 year old twins, took to the waves easily and were up surfing wave after wave from the very start. There was no clock on the session either. Julio and Motor just kept going as long as the waves were good. Finally the tide started coming in and the waves died out so everyone came in. These were better waves for learning than anything I have experienced in California or Hawaii, the beach was gorgeous and the Surf instruction from Julio and Hector was superior to any other surf instructors I have ever had. If you want the best surfing experience EVER, I highly recommend the guys at Zicazteca Surf School. They are the BEST!!!

But wait, there's more. We were not familiar with Puerto Escondido and Julio was not busy that day so he went to lunch with us and showed us his favorite authentic Mexican food (ordered stuff not even on the menu). We also were looking for some specific Mexican tapestries and he asked a few people then went by the two shops with us to help us find what we were looking for. Julio and Hector were two of the nicest and funnest guys to hang out with. We truly had a fantastic day in Puerto Escondido with the help of our new amigos Julio and Hector.

1  Thank Dale F
"school"
"pe"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed February 6, 2014 via mobile

I had an amazing time surfing in Puerto Escondido.. I did 4 classes with Julio and Hector and really improved my surfing! They give very personal instructions and individual feedback - the best surf classes I've had so far.

They are great guys and great teachers.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Our family spent five days in Puerto Escondido over winter break 2013. Our two boys, ages 11 and 13, both wanted to surf so we asked our hotel for a recommendation. They pointed us to Zicazteca Surf School, run by Julio Soto, and the experience exceeded our expectations.

What originally began as a one day, two hour activity turned into three days of solid beach fun. The boys just couldn't get enough of Julio and Hector - they are just great guys who clearly love what they do. Both kids improved tremendously as a result of the lessons and consistent practice. Now they are both hooked on surfing and look forward to doing more on future family vacations and over the summer.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

My wife and I were in Puerto in November and had Julio and his friend Hector give us a surf lesson. I had been on boards a lot but my wife hadn't ever. Julio went over everything on dry land first and I was impressed with the way he explained everything and had us feeling confident before we ever paddled out. I've had surf lessons before from various people and I have to say that Julio gave the best explanation ever, in a step by step way, about how to paddle out, how to catch a wave, and how to get from prone to standing up I ever heard. Out in the water, what he said on land still made sense and he gave feedback on how to improve after every wave. Moreover I found him honest in his love for the ocean and his dealings with people, both his students, his friends and all others on the beach and in the water. I'm still no surf god, but his lesson helped a lot. He also has a great shop in town with some really cool artwork. Kudos, Julio!