“The Villas Carrizalillo is the best place to stay in Puerto Escondido”

Villas Carrizalillo
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in Puerto Escondido
Reviewed October 19, 2009

My boyfriend and I have been traveling to Puerto Escondido as often as we can for two years. We are both in love with the city. I wanted my mom to fall as in love with PE as we are, so I took her to stay at the Villas Carrizalillo. The service is perfect. Gabby, who works in the front, is friendly and helpful. The owners, Ed and Amy are on the property daily, making sure everything is perfect. Ed even has the only boat driver (Martin) in Puerto Escondido that will not try to take you for all you're worth. He took my mom and I for a sunrise boat trip for two or three hours where we saw fish, rays, and sea turtles for only $500 pesos. He even took us to his favorite spot to go snorkeling. My brother went on a trip the same length of time from playa principal for $1500 pesos.

My mom and I stayed in Florencia. It was beautiful. The windows are breath taking. My mom and I sat in the window seat every day. Also, the other amenities were wonderful. After spending most of my time in PE without air conditioning, the cool room was a nice treat. This villa has a small kitchen and two rooms. It is perfect for a mother daughter trip or for close friends. My mom and I cannot wait to go back.

The hotel itself is located on the top of a cliff that overlooks a bay with turquoise water. This means that there are a lot of steps up and down to the beach. Although this is a drawback for some, after just four days, my rear is in top notch shape.

Last, the hotel has one of the best restaurants in PE. It is important to take into consideration how hard it is to get ingredients in PE. Nonetheless, Los Tugas has the best curry I have ever eaten. This restaurant is NOT a part of the hotel, but rents the space in it. Elizabeth, one of the restaurant owners, made my mom and I feel like family. The whole restaurant has a family feel. She carefully places flower arrangements on every table and even sews the place mats herself. The girls that work in her restaurant are friendly and love trying to teach spanish to you. We ate there EVERY DAY.

I highly recommend staying at Villas Carrizalillo. The staff is competent, helpful, and friendly. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable. The stairs may seem daunting, but my nearly 60-year-old mom climbed them no problem.

• Stayed: October 2009

Reviewed July 23, 2009

If you are looking for a beautiful destination-then Puerto Escondido is your place. If you are looking for accommodations that are intimate, relaxing and tropical-then Villas Carrizalillo should definitely be your choice.

We stayed in Villas Colorada, and it was everything the website and photo stated it would be. The staff are incredibly kind and accommodating. You are always greeted with a warm smile and a pleasant manner.

I would consider this property a hidden gem because it is very private, yet some conveniences and eateries are easily within walking distance. The property overlooks a gorgeous bay surrounded by lush foliage. The grounds of the property are kept impeccable.The beach below(Playa Carrizalillo) is stunning, not crowded and quite swimmable. You do have to climb down many stairs(your private beach access from Villas), but the pay off is well worth it.

One of the most charming aspects of Playa Carrizalillo for us was sitting under the palapa, and waiting for the gentleman that every day would swim out and bring back fresh oysters or scallops swerved with lime and chili sauce. We would eat fresh scallops, moments after having been in the ocean, with lime and cervezas. Spectacular!!

If you want a huge resort, with many pools and water slides, numerous restaurants , crowds, neon lounges with loud music and buffets-then this is not for you. If you enjoy a quiet, calm, beach atmosphere(I do!), then book that reservation for Villas Carrizallilo.

Last note: Los Tugas Restaurant at Villas( only restaurant)is excellent, and they treated us like royalty. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 14, 2009

We had our daughter's wedding at Villas Carizzalilo after only viewing it on line and admiittedly spending alot of time on the phone and internet with Amy Hardy. the resort manager. Our expectations were exceeded on every score. The villas are great, the setting most amazing. Amy was an incedible resource and her calm and confident presence was very much appreciated. She had great ideas -- fireworks from the beach, good references for photographers, and music, and she was quietly there whenever you needed her.

The rooms were great, the hospitality exceptional, and honestly, if you can't be happy at the Villas, you may never be...

Los Tugas, the restaurant on the premises, is incredible and what they did for the wedding, even more so....amazing hor d'ouevres, great Caca and margueritas, a gorgeous menu, and Mario and Betty, the most incredible wedding cake...thank you for everything, and even for getting us all up dancing on the bar, Mario! Fireworks from the beach, the salsa and Mexican wedding dance -- all things we will never forget. Thank you.

Reviewed April 20, 2009

Spent three glorious nights at the VC and feel it well deserves the good reviews it has received. We stayed in the Villa Mitla - amazing views, strongly recommended for a romantic break.
If you are looking for a relaxing place to stay I doubt if you'll be disappointed.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2009

We stayed at Villas Carizzalillo for a one night stay during a trip on the oaxacan coast. We had stayed at other puerto escondido hotels before, but this one is definitely one notch above all the others. We stayed in the ''Escondido'' suite, which boasts an amazing view of the Carrizzalillo bay. We enjoyed walking down a few stairs to have a morning surf session. Food was excellent at their restaurant and pricing was decent . Very recommended.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2009

I am really late in writing a review, but just wanted to comment on how wonderful my stay was at VC.
One of the cleanest, largest rooms I have ever stayed in. Hotel is perfectly located. Unlimited fresh bottled water in the rooms. Daily cleaning service that do an incredibly thorough job. Beautiful grounds. We found no bugs whatsoever.... except when we left the hotel. We stayed in the Escondido suite and even though it was one of the cheaper rooms, it was wonderful. The view was amazing.
I have stayed in upscale chains, all-inclusives, B&Bs in many places and this hotel is one of my favourites.
The hotel is within about 10-15 minutes walking distance of the other beaches, some shops and restaurants, but to get to Zicatela and the Point take a cab. Cabs almost anywhere were $3!
Great trip in every way!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2008

My partner and I just came back from Villas Carrizalillo and we loved it. The hotel is impecable and just beautiful! our room looked exactly like it did on the owner's website (which is rarely the case). The owners were very sweet and hospitable. They helped us book flights from Oaxaca city and even gave us cash when we ran out of pesos so that we wouldn't have to inmediately go to an ATM (of course we happily paid them later) We highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a romantic quite place with amazing views in Puerto Escondido...
The only thing we were not impressed by was the restaurant in the hotel which is not owned by the hotel owners... still had the best sunset views during happy hour.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)