“Super friendly staff, the best dive masters and gear”
Review of Deep Blue Dive

Deep Blue Dive
More attraction details
Owner description: Dive center, dolphins, whales and turtles watching, snorkeling, sport fishing
Reviewed March 19, 2017 via mobile

I had an amazing day. Lorenzo the owner was very friendly. He even offered a ride to my pregnant wife to the bech so she could wait for me while I dived.

The staff is very friendly. The gear they rent is in great conditions.

I defently recommend diving with this company.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"ocean"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed March 17, 2017

We went to Puerto Escondido from Oaxaca specifically to go on a whale-watching cruise. I did a lot of research on different companies in Puerto. I chose Deep Blue Dive because of the review from Hecktic Travels and also because of Lorenzo's outraged response to the review here about fishing out turtles for sport. Lorenzo really cares about the ocean and the creatures living in it. He talked to us the morning of the trip about how he could read the nature of the ocean each day based on its color and its current. (Very interesting to realize that the ocean has different phases!) Our trip lasted about 3.5 hours and in that time we saw 100s of dolphins that swam right up next to the boat, big sea turtles, and 2 kinds of whales (Brydes and humpbacks). It was a once-in-a-lifetime event for me and something I've dreamed about for years. Deep Blue Dive definitely did not disappoint. Very friendly, very knowledgeable, and very safe. An amazing day and a memory to last forever.

1  Thank mgeeq71
Reviewed February 15, 2017

The trip was great, we were lucky to find dolphins to swim with. You can come and ask for advice about which kind of a trip is best to do at the time (condition may change every day). I really appreciate the owners environment friendly approach, which I feel I need to stress after reading Erin C's review. during my trip nothing of a kind happened and the crew even stopped to pick up a bottle which was drifting in the sea. The boat kept a distance to all spotted animals leaving them enough space not to feel hassled (I hope), except the dolphins which clearly didn't mind contact with us.

Reviewed December 31, 2016 via mobile

I was really enjoying this trip until about half way through when we came across one of many sea turtles off the coast of Puerto Escondido. The skipper of the boat offered to catch it and pick it up out of the water so we could take photos. I said no straight away and asked a few times that the turtle was left alone. Nevertheless, he did, and our guide from Deep Blue Dive DID NOT stop him. The skipper hauled the turtle onto the boat, pulling it around, and let the other passenger take photos and stroke it. Our guide jumped off the boat into the sea with her own waterproof camera and took photos of the turtle propped up on the side of the boat saying how sweet it looked, obviously enjoying the opportunity.

All this time I was getting more agitated and saying that it was cruel and the turtle should be put back as this was the absolute wrong thing to do. Eventually our guide asked the skipper to return it.

I was really shocked that what I thought was a responsible dive company would do this. Even if the skipper wasn't a direct employee of the firm, I'm horrified that the guide didn't put a stop to it and actually seemed to encourage it herself.

I went to speak to the owner after the trip ended and he said he was disappointed, didn't agree with the behaviour, and that he would need to have words with the skipper. To add balance, I saw a couple of other boats do the same thing on our trip that day, but it doesn't make it right.

8  Thank Erin C
lencho70, Propietario at Deep Blue Dive, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2017

Dear Arin,
please allow me to ask you publicly to forgive me, again, for this bad accident. It is simply something not acceptable and i, as owner and founder of my dive center, take full responsibility for the behavior of my crew. I've spent all my carreer trying to let people understand the importance of respect the wild life and always condemning the practice of picking turtles on boat (belive me it costed me serious argues with local operators) and earning some kind of reputation and this make me feel even worst, considering that kind of behavior came from people working for me.It is not any excuse but the i have a new capitan who, as all locals capitan here, has this attitude (unfortunately it is the easiest way to get easy money taking advantage of the ignorance of many people. "we go for a boat tour, we pick a turtle on boat and you can do the photo" They sell it like this, and they are always full.) and wasn't aware that i absolutely don't want. Sad thing he was sure to make you a favor.
Belive me i "spoke" with both of them. I'm very sad for what happened, it is the real first accident of this kind, i'm really sorry it happened and it will never happen again.
Sincerly