“Great trip with with responsible crewe”
Review of Deep Blue Dive

Deep Blue Dive
More attraction details
Owner description: Dive center, dolphins, whales and turtles watching, snorkeling, sport fishing
Reviewed February 15, 2017

The trip was great, we were lucky to find dolphins to swim with. You can come and ask for advice about which kind of a trip is best to do at the time (condition may change every day). I really appreciate the owners environment friendly approach, which I feel I need to stress after reading Erin C's review. during my trip nothing of a kind happened and the crew even stopped to pick up a bottle which was drifting in the sea. The boat kept a distance to all spotted animals leaving them enough space not to feel hassled (I hope), except the dolphins which clearly didn't mind contact with us.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"ocean"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed December 31, 2016 via mobile

I was really enjoying this trip until about half way through when we came across one of many sea turtles off the coast of Puerto Escondido. The skipper of the boat offered to catch it and pick it up out of the water so we could take photos. I said no straight away and asked a few times that the turtle was left alone. Nevertheless, he did, and our guide from Deep Blue Dive DID NOT stop him. The skipper hauled the turtle onto the boat, pulling it around, and let the other passenger take photos and stroke it. Our guide jumped off the boat into the sea with her own waterproof camera and took photos of the turtle propped up on the side of the boat saying how sweet it looked, obviously enjoying the opportunity.

All this time I was getting more agitated and saying that it was cruel and the turtle should be put back as this was the absolute wrong thing to do. Eventually our guide asked the skipper to return it.

I was really shocked that what I thought was a responsible dive company would do this. Even if the skipper wasn't a direct employee of the firm, I'm horrified that the guide didn't put a stop to it and actually seemed to encourage it herself.

I went to speak to the owner after the trip ended and he said he was disappointed, didn't agree with the behaviour, and that he would need to have words with the skipper. To add balance, I saw a couple of other boats do the same thing on our trip that day, but it doesn't make it right.

8  Thank Erin C
lencho70, Propietario at Deep Blue Dive, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2017

Dear Arin,
please allow me to ask you publicly to forgive me, again, for this bad accident. It is simply something not acceptable and i, as owner and founder of my dive center, take full responsibility for the behavior of my crew. I've spent all my carreer trying to let people understand the importance of respect the wild life and always condemning the practice of picking turtles on boat (belive me it costed me serious argues with local operators) and earning some kind of reputation and this make me feel even worst, considering that kind of behavior came from people working for me.It is not any excuse but the i have a new capitan who, as all locals capitan here, has this attitude (unfortunately it is the easiest way to get easy money taking advantage of the ignorance of many people. "we go for a boat tour, we pick a turtle on boat and you can do the photo" They sell it like this, and they are always full.) and wasn't aware that i absolutely don't want. Sad thing he was sure to make you a favor.
Belive me i "spoke" with both of them. I'm very sad for what happened, it is the real first accident of this kind, i'm really sorry it happened and it will never happen again.
Sincerly
Lorenzo

Reviewed December 21, 2016 via mobile

Lorenzo es un mucho bueno persone.
He has a lot of experience in the sea, daulphins, tortugas, ...
He's also a great photograph, they are of very nice quality !
It was really nice to meet him and his colleagues, and to share his experience !
See you very soon !!

Reviewed July 14, 2016

We traveled to Puerto Escondido in June. Some members of our group are SCUBA certified but most were not so we wanted to just go out on a boat and see some dolphins, turtles, and snorkel in the water. We talked to Lorenzo in the shop and due to the large waves at the time (Big Wave Surf Contest) he recommended a better day when the water would be clearer. Our day arrived and we met him at the shop. He drove us down to the marina where we met two other assistants in the boat. There were five of us total, including a five year old child. We felt completely safe with Lorenzo and his staff. They found several pods of dolphins and several sea turtles for us. It was great. Anytime we got into the water to snorkel, Lorenzo also got into the water with us, which made us feel very safe. The boat operators were very conscientious also. Lorenzo spoke both Spanish and English so all of us could understand. They also found us a great snorkel spot at a reef with many fish. I would highly recommend this dive company for both snorkel trips and dive trips.

3  Thank Laurene R
See more reviews
Reviewed May 21, 2016 via mobile

My partner and I recently completed our open water certificates in Colombia and decided to do fun dives with Deep Blue based on its excellent ratings. Out experience showed that they certainly can deliver. We went with Arturo to two locations based on our skill level and the sea conditions. Visibility wasn't great but we saw a turtle which was an absolute highlight and a great diversity of sea life was pointed out to us by Arturo. The equipment was in good condition and we felt very comfortable with Arturo who went through the hand signals, dive plan and conditions before entering the water. A great day with a professional company.