“El Nene vs. Espiden!”

Cuisines: Mexican, Contemporary, International, Healthy
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was in Puerto last week and on subsequent nights ordered seared tuna at both El Nene and Espiden. No contest here...El Nene's tuna was perfectly seared on the edges with a tasty zest and the sushi quality tartar was cool and literally melted in my mouth...never had better! Espiden's tuna was tasteless, bland and overcooked...certainly not sushi quality. Oh, and one other thing, dinner at El Nene was half the price of Espiden!

2  Thank tfd1950
There are newer reviews for El Nene

Reviewed November 6, 2012

El Nene is very reasonable priced. Helmut keeps the menu small and simple, but everything is absolutley perfectly executed. He has tacos, soups, burgers and then some fish dishes, shrimp and various meats. My favourites are the Cajun Tuna served with a sour cream and butter dressed baked potato and salad, or the chicken in a chipoltle cream sauce with rice and salad. For my money, the best margarita's in town.

2  Thank CasaColibri
Reviewed October 25, 2012

El Nene is on Boulevard Benito Juarez, a 5 minute drive from the center of town.

The food was delicious. I did like the chile rellenos (filled with cheese) as an appetizer and the chop suey (admittedly not very Mexican) was sumptuous.

The kitchen/restaurant is unlike in unfortunately too many places very clean and the owners (a German/Mexican couple) are very friendly.

It was my best meal in Pto Escondido and I will definitely be back.

Keep up the good work.

2  Thank Marc M
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I've eaten here 2 nights in a row so far. The food is amazing, really well priced and the staff is incredibly hospitable. The tacos bistec (beef tacos) are SO good and the especial de camarones (shrimp special) is one of the best things I've eaten since I've been here. The owner has been at the restaurant both nights I was there. He greeted our table, brought out our food and checked on us throughout the evening. Our server was just as friendly and was more than willing to help us with the menu. The atmosphere is really laid back and it's like having a gourmet meal on the sidewalk of a small cafe. This is a must stop if you're in Puerto!

1  Thank Jaime M
Reviewed October 1, 2012

El Nene on the Rinconda is one of my first stops while visiting Puerto Escondido. The owner is very friendly and serves the best fresh fish dishes and great margaritas. During our many one-two weeks stays in PE, El Nene is always our favorite where we frequent many times during our trips. The food is fabulous and it is always great to see the friendly faces.

1  Thank 11sailing11