“Dolphin watching” 5 of 5 bubbles

Omar's Sportfishing
Ranked #1 of 27 Tours in Puerto Escondido
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fishing charter and sea safari tours. Departure at 7:00 am. Return at 10:00 am we offer trips to see dolphins,turtles,sea rays,humpback whales, and all the coast of puerto escondido! Cost: $500.00 Pesos per person also we can take you fishing for sailfish,marlin,tuna,or mahi-mahi! Cost:$700.00 Pesos per hour for the rental of the boat with all fishing gear include. We practice catch and released. Lots of nature out there!
Toulouse, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Dolphin watching”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We went out with captain Omar and his colleague David for dolphin watching but we also did much more.

On the boat we trawled a couple of lines and caught a tuna and a sailfish! We saw the dolphins which swam along the boat for a while. Very beautiful. We tried to follow them with the current to see if the pod would stop somewhere so we could get out and swim, but they dispersed :(

Highlight for me was David jumping off the boat to catch a sea turtle. We jumped in the water to hold it, and I had a chance to grab on to its shell and let it drag me down into the ocean as it swam away!!! We also saw turtles mating in the open ocean.

There were chances of spotting whales, but we didn't see any. On the return to shore, they showed us some the bays near the town and we fed some pelicans.

I was very impressed with the professionalism of the crew and especially their super keen eyesight for spotting wildlife in the open ocean!!!

Highly recommended.

2 Thank Steve Q

Toronto, Canada
“Great guide, great guy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I've spent my last two Christmases in Puerto (and a few days in nearby Mazunte ) and have gone out fishing 7 times in that period. I always love being on the water and every guide I've had has been decent, with varying degrees of angling skill, quality of gear and personality. The fishery in Puerto seems pretty good and ive always been able to get some reasonable action - lots of jacks, the odd rooster, a couple dorado, bonito ( which are fun on light spinning tackle) and most recently sailfish. I spent two afternoons on Omar's boat and it's clear he loves what he does and goes out of his way to make sure your experience is memorable. He has good gear, a nice boat and is very punctual...most importantly though he's a really good guy and a very knowledgeable guide. The highlight was a double sailfish hook up with my girlfriend and I, both of us landing beautiful fish (hers was bigger- probably 80lbs). Omar expertly coached my her to bring the fish in while ensuring our lines didn't get crossed and then maneuvered the boat so we got great well- lit pictures. Importantly, Omar practices catch and release fishing on all billfish using circle hooks and made sure the fish were handled with care and revived before they were released. He obviously cares that the fishery here will remain healthy going forward which is nice to see. Whether you're an avid fisherman like me (mostly freshwater at home in Canada) or just want to spend a day on the ocean, Omar is the best choice here by far.

Nanaimo, Canada
“Fishing Puerto Escondido”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have fished around North America and rate Omar as a Top Guide. He runs a first class business all the way around. In one morning we caught and released three sailfish and put a big dorado in the boat. The dolphins and turtles were a bonus. Captain Omar and his mate speak good english, keep a well equiped, clean boat and have good, well tended gear. I will be fishing with Omar again and you should too. And by the way, very reasonable rates.

Ashland, OR
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“So nice we went twice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

With my husband being an avid fisherman, it was natural that on our honeymoon in Puerto we would be taking a fishing trip. Omar and all of his staff, regardless of how much english they speak, are great. Friendly, helpful and determined to catch fish. On our first trip we were fortunate to see flying stingray, a huge pack of dolphins, sea turtles, and water snakes (black with yellow stripe = very poisonous). When we spotted dolphins they took the boat closer and followed so we could enjoy the experience. It was fishing and wildlife viewing all in the same trip (which are usually two separate trips/fees), but Omar did not charge anything extra. The staff are true to their word and took us out for a full 4 hours. On the second trip, Omar was unable to guide us, but had us with another highly knowledgeable guide and told us we could be out for longer than 4 hours if we wanted...no extra charges. On both trips we caught one sailfish, the first one was huge and on the second trip we almost caught a marlin, but it got loose.

Raglan, New Zealand
“Awesome trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

Went fishing with omar and israel in early November. Was awesome to say the least. Very hospitable and friendly , also both spoke great english.Went mahi mahi fishing to start catching as much as we wanted , then proceeded to trawl for sailfish and managing to catch a big one. Great rigs and very prepared having no messing around on the water. Would highly recommend to everyone , and will be back if in puerto again. Cheers

Visited November 2012