“A great find and relaxing stay in Puerto Escondido”
Review of Casa de Dan

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Escondido
Casa de Dan
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The staff at Dan's couldn't have been friendlier. It was the only accommodation in Puerto that even bothered to reply to our email enquiry and when we arrived first thing in the morning fresh from the night bus they looked after our bags and our room was ready well before check in and found space for us when we wanted to stay another night. The owners let us use the facilities for free and stored our bags in their house on our last day as we had a late bus out of town, whereas a lot of other places charge. As it's just off the main drag, the prices are great value for money and it feels really quiet, but you can just walk down the road to all the bars and restaurants if you want a night out, or cook in your cabana if you prefer. The on-site cafe, Dan's Deluxe, really does do the best breakfast in town, the hot cakes tropical deluxe are a must! Dan is quite often around the place and a really great host.

Room Tip: Book in advance to get the best choice of rooms. First floor cabanas have the best views but they...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Casa de Dan

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've been to Dan's several times now, and it's the best place I've stayed in Puerto by far. The staff are all great. They're also great about hooking you up with a room within you budget, but at the same time every room is amazing. The observation deck is a great place for surf checks, and just for evening relaxing with a beer or two. The food is good, the location is nice in that it's not right on the playa (but pretty damn close) so it's quiet at night, they have pool, Dan will give you a whooping at ping-pong, and they have some of the best surfers in the world staying there pretty frequently- the Long brothers spring to mind for starters. Dan also knows Puerto very well, and will give you local knowledge on dos and don'ts as far as the town goes.

Five stars, one of the highlights of the whole Pacific Coast in Mex. Don't miss it.

Room Tip: The room right by the observation deck is usually taken, but ask Dan if you can nab it as soon as it...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My wife and enjoyed anther great holiday a Casa Dans we have stayed there several years but #7 was the best one so far! Great view and always good breeze.cooked a lot of meals in our room but when you get tired of that dans deluxe is only a few steps away

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Glen A
Reviewed April 11, 2013

After having spent the last few months in Huatulco, thought a few days in Puerto Escondido might be a nice change. All accounts raved about Casa Dan's. Thought we'd give it a try. Service was nice enough, but quite frankly the upstairs room(#9) was quite rustic, didn't give you that "WOW" feeling one might expect when it came to cleanliness. The view is great, but the hammocks felt oily and dirty. The kitchen had cheap, poorly outfitted utensils. The pool---murky. It felt "old".....like walking into a place where no one really cared whether you stayed here or not. We left. For just a few dollars more we found an extremely clean, well appointed unit close by. Same view, well appointed kitchen, in fact well appointed everything ---it was a "no brainer". So would I recommend Casa Dan's to my friends and fellow travellers? In a word, NO! But if you don't mind rustic, lower end accommodation, by all means "fill your boots" as one columnist from a daily newspaper used to say. The hotel itself seems to have no problems filling up, so if you do go, write and see if there's room.

Room Tip: Unsure how to answer except the view from #9 might be an option.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bob F
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My aprtner and I stayed in room 7, which had a breath taking view. The room was large and the kitchen had everythign we needed. We made many meals there but we also had breakfast in Dan's Cafe, which is also worth checking out. Dan and the rest of the staff were knowledgable about the are and very hospitable. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2012

My partner and I stayed at Dan's for five weeks and absolutely fell in love with the place, location, staff and steady stream of returning guests. Dan’s really is a special little oasis and I truly feel that our experience of Puerto would have been vastly different had we stayed elsewhere.

We actually decided to arrive a week early and so our first week was spent in one of the cheaper rooms, Number 11. While this is a decent budget option it wasn't a patch on the apartment we spent four weeks in – Number 9. Number 9 is the “penthouse” suite with stunning views up and down Zicatela beach and the communal rooftop deck (with the best views of Zicatela in Puerto) directly out front.

The communal deck has a steady stream of visitors through the day (mostly during the very early morning – to check the surf) and in the late afternoon/evening to watch the sunset (always a spectacular site in Puerto). Everyone was always super respectful and even though we don’t surf and hence sleep in, we we’re never ever woken up by people checking the surf. We also loved having the steady stream of traffic on the rooftop deck as we got to meet loads of people and check-in with those staying more long-term. Which leads me to the family vibe going on in this place. Seriously, Dan (the owner and nicest dude ever) has created himself a little slice of paradise and has people returning year after year after year. We made so many great, new friends during our stay at Dan’s and felt so welcomed by the staff and regular guests.

In terms of the grounds, the pool is a welcome reprieve from the heat, which is absolutely brutal in Puerto; as a side note, it takes your body about a week to adjust to the humidity which is somewhere near 100%. The pool is also a great meeting spot to hang out with other guests and socialize and like all the grounds and rooms at Dan's, it’s kept to immaculate western standards.

It’s really amazing what Dan has created with the space he has. Tropical plants shelter the rooms and create privacy for all of the cabanas and apartments. Plus the plants just look awesome. I mean, who doesn't like looking at tropical plants?! We also learnt that Dan's background is in building and you can really see how well-thought the design is of both the property and each of the apartments.

A massive, massive plus is having Dan’s café right next door. The café pumps out THE BEST breakfasts in town. Everything that I tried on the menu was delicious and the portions were ridiculously good value for money.

As for the nitty gritty of the room, it’s not a 5-star hotel but rather a homely, well kept, small apartment. The kitchen has just enough to get by in terms of doing your own cooking, but personally it could have been a bit better stocked with utensils as I LOVE to cook. However, that didn't stop me and I managed to whip up a variety of meals and loads of salads.

All of the rooms are cleaned daily and the cleaners do an immaculate job. I almost felt guilty with the amount of effort they put in every day.

I’m sure I could rabbit on more about how amazing this place is but I know I’ve already lost readers so I’ll end it here. I will end by saying that Dan’s is AMAZING! If all you want is just accommodation it can be that, but it can also be so much more. I can’t wait to return!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at Dans for 11 nights in one of the cabanas and it was just amazing in every way. The place is a collection of cabanas and apartments and are spread out around the grounds so that every apartment feels very private. The location is great, only a few minutes from town and you get amazing views across Zicatela. The staff are wonderful - Dan, the owner, is friendly and always willing to chat and give great advice, and the rest are always helpful and lovely. Dan's Cafe has the best breakfasts in town for the best value and makes delicious fish tacos in the weekends. Book well in advance as this place is very popular - it was our favorite place in our entire four months of travelling and I would highly recommend it to anyone coming to Puerto Escondido!

• Stayed: July 2012