“Old world Mexico apartments, nicely located”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Escondido
Studios Tabachin del Puerto
Ranked #26 of 48 Hotels in Puerto Escondido
Oakland, California
“Old world Mexico apartments, nicely located”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I stayed here in an apartment on the floor just below the top floor. Pretty good location, at the edge of Playa Zicatela and very close to the Hotel Santa Fe. The owner, Paul, died in May 2013 and the hotel is now managed by the local staff, under the ownership of Paul's daughter. The apartment is big, with a sizable kitchen and large main room/bedroom. Lots of fans and windows (also A/C, which I was fine skipping), and surrounded by a narrow deck. A delicious breakfast is included - you order from a handful of items on a restaurant menu. And being on the edge of Zicatela, you are convenient to that beach, but also a ~30 minute walk to the beaches Carrizalillo (four stars!) and Puerto Angel (picturesque, crowded with locals).

Room Tip: The "rooms" on the top floors are huge, and if you can see the ocean from the balconies.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank SantoGabacho

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
San Diego, California
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My umpteenth visit this winter was as wonderful as always. I love the mix of regular visitors, new faces, people from across the globe, old and young, different languages. I stayed in the ground floor Unit One for much of my visit...it is especially large and one does not need to climb stairs to reach it. The covered patio is great for sitting about and playing cards with friends and other visitors. And I spent a couple of weeks in Unit Two which is not as large but is the most well decorated of all the apartments, with really nice art work on the walls. Paul's fine tile work and the light paint colors make this unit stand out. There have been a good number of new and good restaurants opening around town this past year...new things to explore. Paul's hotel is exceptional and the guests here are a joy to be with. I've already reserved three months for next winter.

Room Tip: New penthouse: spectacular view of ocean; Old Penthouse: nice view of ocean, large unit; Unit One: g...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank GringoOnEarthFilming
London
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This place is absolutely amazing! It's by far the best place we've stay in all our 2 years of travelling. The rooms are beautiful, spacious and fully equip with everything you need. The location is perfect with views to die for and the rumble of the ocean waves crashing on the shore line to put you to sleep at night. Above all this is the staff. We can't express just how beautiful the staff at Tabachin are. The owner Paul is the most humble of gentlemen and a wealth of knowledge who ensured our stay was everything we wanted and more. Felix, a staff member, was there to greet us every morning for breakfast and he went out of his way every day to ensure we had everything we needed and gave us information on any and everything to do in Puerto Escondido. Everyone including the cleaning staff and their local farmer were the nicest of people we've had the pleasure of meeting. The room also includes a daily breakfast and what a breakfast it is. 13 options of everything from pancakes to bacon and eggs with juice, coffee and a fruit plate as well. This place has everything and more! We ended up extending our stay from one week to 12 days and even then it was hard to leave. This place really is a home away from home. Thanks heaps guys, we'll definitely be back!

Angie & Tom - Australia

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank ANT0910
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have been to Puerto Escondido three times and this stay was by far the best. Paul Cleaver and his staff made me feel like I was home. The accommodations were inviting and the view was spectacular. The attention to detail; linens, silver place settings at breakfast, the house made bread, jam & chocolate, as well as local paintings in the stairways made this by far a unique stay. The food was exceptional and I had the good fortune to tag along for a weekly shopping trip to the local Saturday market. Perfectly located - not on the loud main strip of the Zicatela and a close walk to the Audoquin. If you are looking for a true experience, learning and sharing Mexican culture, this is the place to start. Paul & Felix are wonderful guides. I express the depth of my gratitude for my exceptional stay. I am already planning my next trip!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Micandys
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 22, 2013

we loved our huge room with ktichen and view of the ocean. A lot for the price...and a great and plentiful breakfast with interesting people from all over the world.
yes, you can get a place for half the price and less than half the comfort and you can get a place with greater service and nicer accomodations at more than twice the price....but you would miss out on the great company of the very interesting people staying here and the great proximity to everything Puerto has to offer....a few steps to the beach and restaurants. In summary...a great value!

Room Tip: all rooms are great but pay the extra and get the penthouse...worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank JeffAncker
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I stayed here back in September.
I don't get any pleasure from writing this negative review because I think the owner Paul is basically a decent and interesting guy.... but here goes.

The staff doesn't speak English and Paul is quite elderly and sleeps in the afternoon. So when we arrived (at the end of a dirt alley to the shabby courtyard... no reception area at all) in the blazing heat and humidity we insisted on speaking to him before being brought to our room. He eventually emerged from his slumber in a stained shirt that it turned out he wore every day.

We were creeped out by the disrepair and disorganization but decided not to bail after the fairly pleasant breakfast with Paul the first morning. Ultimately this was a mistake since our camcorder and some articles of clothing were stolen out of our room the day before we left. In a subsequent e-mail exchange he told us he had terminated an employee because of the theft and offered to cover our losses. When I told him how much they were we never heard back.

Anyway, If you want to have some interesting conversation about Mexican history, stop by the Tabachin for breakfast one morning... it's a trip... and the breakfast is good (if not quite as mindblowing as Paul likes to think). I certainly don't recommend staying here though.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jason M
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I had heard about Paul's place for years from a close friend. He went on and on about it so I finally decided to go. Well, he was right about Studio Tabachin.
The rooms are Mexican tiled, include kitchens, cable TV, air conditioning, cleaned daily and have firm beds.
The breakfasts (which are included with your room) are the best meals I have
had in Mexico..period. I don't know how the cooks do it but they pull off gourmet
breakfasts both Mexican and American. (Paul has a farm where he grows his own
coffee, cocoa, fruit, etc.) The guests are quite interesting and many of them have
been coming here for years. Everyone has breakfast together at long tables so
one really has a chance to meet new people from all over the world. We were
two minutes from the beach and there were plenty of places to pull up lounge
chairs and just enjoy. There is much in nature to enjoy and there are some very
good restaurants in the area, especially fresh fish. This is a unique travel experience that I recommend highly for those of you that don't want to do the
big Mexican resorts.

Room Tip: Book early. This place fills up during the season.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo