“Wonderful place to stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Puerto Escondido
Studios Tabachin del Puerto
Ranked #22 of 47 Hotels in Puerto Escondido
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stayed for 2 weeks at Tabachin and were not disappointed. The position just off the busy Zicatela strip is perfect, close to the action but still quiet at night. The rooms are spacious and breezy. Views from the balcony and roof are excellent. Highlights are the breakfasts and the conversations with the owner Paul who we now call a good friend. We look forward to staying at Tabchin again.

Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank MaiJoe

Reviewed July 10, 2012

It's been quite a while since I have stayed at this lovely, small hotel but keep in contact with the owner, Paul once in a while. My girlfriend and I stayed at this amazing oasisl for two weeks in one of the beautiful roof-top suites with wrap-around deck facing the sea. Everything was top notch including the morning breakfasts served in the shady and cool courtyard where you can eat to your heart's content. Paul is the perfect host and as we had no car, he kindly took us grocery shopping and for a little tour to get our bearings when we first arrived. We met so many friendly people in this town. The food, music and camaraderie of PE must be experienced to be believed. I must go back.

Room Tip: You won't be disappointed with the roof-top rooms - superb - a memory I will cherish forever.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carol P
Reviewed July 8, 2012

When we arrived at Hotel Tabachin, Paul Cleaver greeted us with two of his friends who were there for breakfast. Paul immediately struck me as a Hemingway-figure, especially sitting at the clothed, outdoor long-table, set with mismatched exquisite china under a thin marquee, with fans blowing and mosquito-repellent swirls burning. Paul was an impeccable host, full of stories, eager for yours and always keen for debates and conversation. If you are conservative and private by nature, I suggest announcing that immediately. Pauls' tales, intense curiosity, knowledge, and book-loans are part of the character of the place.

My other-half and I arrived during the off-season. Tabachin is behind the Hotel Santa Fe, but the taxi driver knew exactly where to go, and access to the beach was a short, block away. Paul upgraded our room to the Penthouse suite at no extra charge, simply because it was available, and why keep it empty when guests could enjoy it? The suite was phenomenal. It was spacious with a full kitchen, two beds, a comfortable indoor table, a curtained-off dresser and wardrobe, and a large, luxurious bathroom, with a tiled shower and plenty of shelves and cabinets. The multiple ceiling fans were all wall-controlled with various settings and there were plenty of lights. Best of all was the almost-surrounding balcony with a beautiful view of the beach. My other half and I spent much of our stay there. There was a clothes-line and pegs which we used daily. The open layout of the place allowed us to open the balcony doors and let the breeze circulate inside. We never used the air-conditioning. Plenty of windows created an open, peaceful, and luxurious space.

I was quite ill from the local, fish-tailing, mountain bus-ride from Oaxaca City, so I ate simple food, but my partner greatly enjoyed his breakfasts here, and our breakfasts were always fresh and prepared with care. Paul himself went to length to supply me with a local hot cereal that was delicious and just what I needed. He was very persuasive and it was hard to turn down his kind offers to run to the pharmacy, or recommend one thing or another. During our trip in Puerto, we discovered that Paul is known throughout the community for his hospitality. His brother owns the adjacent hotel, which I understand to be more hotel-ish and less of the casual bed-and-breakfast atmosphere that we prefer and Paul provides. He also owns a farm that supplies many of the delicious ingredients for the breakfasts. The breakfasts are chosen from a menu with a wide variety, but if you'd like something you don't see, simply ask. Despite the casual environment, Paul runs an old-fashioned service, and was training a new server at the time of our visit.

A seasoned bed-and-breakfast beach-traveler will know this, but it is worth mentioning that bugs and sand are always an issue. Everything is perpetually covered in a sheen of sand, despite the daily cleanings from Paul's housekeeper. Mosquitoes and ants find their way in regardless of precautions taken and I (a light-sleeper) often woke to being bitten in the night! The atmosphere, beautiful tile-work, and unique experience of having Paul as a host greatly outweigh any discomfort from the sand and bugs, but you should know they are part of the experience.

If you are looking for a lovely spot with good food, and lively conversation, I could not recommend a better place.

Room Tip: We were upgraded to the penthouse suite, which was delightful, but I hear that all of the rooms are...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Vacations means Peace of Mind, and we found that here. Me and my fiance love to travel (I also love to surf). Paul (the owner) set us up with one of his beautifully decorated studio apartments. "Bargain" is an understatement, we were very fortunate to find this place while searching the web. Breakfast comes with your room, so it is so nice to share breakfast with the good company of other travelers that want to enjoy not only the waves, but the rich history of Oaxaca. Paul is an incredible host that has decades of knowledge of Mexico.
You can spot the big sign from the 200, and the balcony that gives you a view of the entire beach. Perfectly located behind Hotel Santa Fe, the Tabachin keeps it's cozy, low profile, tranquil vibe without all the "surfer dude" traffic you find at many others on the strip. Also Paul helped build the Sante Fe, so we can easily walk over and use their pools, simply after just being a patron at the Hotel's restaurant. Also with our studio having a Refrigerator and a kitchenette it is nice to be able to make your own meals too. The grocery store (Super Che) is only 10 minutes away by car.
The Tabachin is one of Puerto's last secrets...So make reservations...before a million other people read this, and your stuck somewhere else, kicking yourself, wishing you did.

Room Tip: The entire vibe of the Tabachin is rest and relax
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2012

What a pleasure to stay at Tabachin and have such a knowledgeable and gracious host as Paul Cleaver. I arrived early, was shown warm, generous hospitality and then to my spacious room on the third floor. What a view! Endless ocean, the sound of surf and a kitchenette. I could have stayed there forever. As it was I extended my five day stay by another five days. Great breakfast and because of the connection with the Hotel Santa
Fe, we could use the pool. Paul, the owner, a native English speaker knows the area well, is more than accommodating and shares his books!
Sigh....can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Pay the little extra and stay in the big room on the third floor.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We just spent a fabulous week at this charming and most comfortable B&B. Must say our stay was greatly enhanced by having our gracious owner/host Paul Clever there every morning at breakfast time to stimulate the conversation and give friendly advice to one and all. The other guests were equally nice and friendly which was another added advantage.We had the top floor unit with a large balcony over looking the bay and along a most beautiful beach - this too added to our stay. There was always a nice breeze which meant we did not have to use the airconditioning - ceiling fans were more than sufficient. Now the breakfasts - unlike any you will find almost anywhere. A wide variety of chioces - fresh fruit and juices, omelets and eggs any style, etc.etc.. The locals come here to enjoy the feasts and this too adds to the character and charm of the place. Overall a 5 star stay in a 5 star place. Many thanks. During our stay, we bought a condo about 1/2 an hour away and plan to spend the winters there- when we want to take a break - guess where we it will be??!!

Room Tip: If availabe, the top penthouse suite in the taller building which was the first to be built
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Great, quiet location just behind the Hotel Santa Fe, approximately 1 block from the beach. The tile work in the courtyard and rooms, done by local artisans is gorgeous. We love the large studio on the 3rd floor. It has a small kitchen, wrap around balcony, great view, and a fantastic breeze all day. We never had to use the air conditioner. The Hotel Santa Fe has a pool that is available to guests of the Tabachin and they have a wonderful restaurant for lunch or dinner.

Paul, the owner and host is this great guy! Sweet, funny, witty and knowledgeable with lots of great stories and recommendations.

Amazing breakfasts are included and Paul keeps you company at breakfast at the communal table. The food is incredibly good. Paul has an organic farm, in another location where he grows all the produce, and coffee for the restaurant. He also makes his own tofu, breads, preserves, sauces, salsas. They specialize in traditional Mexican dishes and vegan dishes. I would eat all my meals there, but they only serve breakfast.

In my opinion, it's the best deal in Puerto Escondido.

Room Tip: 3rd floor large studio, view, breeze, balcony
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple