“Spanish school & full immersion in latinamerican life - una experiencia mexicana”
Review of Experiencia

Experiencia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A school for Travellers. Spanish Classes, Surf Classes or Spanish & Surf Combo + Volunteer Projects + Cultural activities. 1 Day , Weekly & Monthly options. Learn Spanish, Learn how to Surf, or both ! Have a full Mexican experience with extra activities like Salsa dancing, pinatas, cooking, hand crafts all included. Surf Tours & Excursions for our students in Puerto Escondido. Learn, Travel, Live!
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase
Reviewed December 28, 2017

EXPERIENCIA is all about an amazing experience of Mexican culture and people. This school really makes a ton of an effort to help you immerse into the Mexican way of living. I decided to take private Spanish lessons at their Spanish school in the old part of the city where you can book a room as well. And they have 2 more facilities to accommodate people, one of them is the Surfcamp right at the beach where I stayed as well. The free shuttle with Felix going between all their places makes it really convenient and activities are well coordinated if you wanna join it all.
The private classes are a lot about grammar, exactly what I was lacking so far. The teachers helped me a lot to direct my Spanish learnings to the job that i had to apply it onto, f. e. writing and correcting business-related emails. My teacher Sophia even took me to a local coffee place and held the class over there.
The facilities of the Spanish school are actually a little bit outdated, but in a really charming way because it`s so colorful painted just how you would imagine it to be in a lively beach town in the Southwest of Mexico. Since it was Christmas time the school hosted a Posada, a festivity that roots go back to the time when Augustinian monks spread the veneration of Christ in Mexico. All students and teachers joined this nights celebrations with sharing home-made traditional dishes like Tamales and the fruit punch as well as breaking the Piñata’s. Good fun and definitely something that I will remember for a long time. Gracias por todo equipo Experiencia!

Date of experience: December 2017
ExperienciaPuerto, General Manager at Experiencia, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2018

Thank you Jessica! Glad you enjoyed your stay here, and Christmas time is also our favorite part of the year here, was great to share it with you :) Saludos de Sofía y Felix and you're always welcome back!

All reviews
"surfing"
in 3 reviews
"instructor"

Reviewed October 13, 2017

Experiencia is a well organised enterprise with almost everything you could ask! I stayed at the Surf Camp hostel and also with a host family during my time. My days were filled with excellent Spanish language lessons with passionate teachers and fun times in the waves during surf lessons. The three weeks went by so fast! I could have stayed another three or more. The language lessons were definitely the highlight. The content was thorough and they made sure you were in the right level for your ability. All staff speak to you in Spanish too to enhance the learning experience. The students were mainly from Germany or Switzerland and ages between 17-23. My time with the host family was enjoyable however I wasn't able to spend as much time with them as I had hoped. I was very busy with all the classes I was taking and spending time with new friends from the school. The house I stayed in was like a big hotel, but the family were always friendly and happy to chat. The food was a bit hit and miss, it wasn't always clear when it was meal time, or if they even had a set meal time, but you could always help yourself to food.. but be prepared to eat some strange things... ie. chicken feet!! haha

I would make mention that if you are interested in surfing and have already had some experience with surfing then the surf lesson packages may not be for you. I was very keen to improve on my abilities (I had been surfing for one year already) and at first I was just being 'pushed' onto the waves and was not being taught any techniques at all. Most people in the classes had never tried surfing before, so it was very much for beginners. I mentioned to the staff that I really wanted to learn new skills and they made an effort to match me with a more senior surf instructor who spent more time explaining surfing technique and etiquette. It was much better after that. There were also some days we went out in the water which were just unsuitable conditions for surfing (really choppy waves etc). This was disappointing as you really couldn't do much out there on days like that. If you are keen for a surfing experience I would sign up for the morning surfer lessons as the conditions are always better in the mornings. Overall, I honestly had the time of my life in Puerto with this crew. I still think back and recall wonderful memories. I would like to get back there again someday.

Date of experience: September 2017
Review collected in partnership with this attraction
ExperienciaPuerto, General Manager at Experiencia, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2017

Hola! Thank you very much for such a detailed and positive review :) Thanks to students like you we have an opportunity to constantly improve the quality of all our classes, and have already implemented changes in surf courses to adapt them for advanced students like you. Glad you brought wonderful memories with you back home. All Experiencia staff and you host family send you warmest greetings! Hope to see you here in Puerto soon!

Reviewed October 5, 2017

Staff was personable, funny, and extremely professional. I had a wonderful time while learning Spanish with ease.

Date of experience: August 2017
Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Hola Danielle! Thank you very much for your review :) Glad you had a great time here and that the Spanish classes worked great for you, your teacher Eloisa is sending you saludos! :)
Hope to see you in Puerto soon again!

Reviewed May 16, 2017

I had a great time at Experiencia, the room at the school was very nice, on the second floor, with a great view of the Puerto Escondido bay right out the door.
My classes were so enjoyable and I learned a lot of basic Spanish very quickly. There were lots of fun activities to do between classes and the people at the surf school were outstanding. I would definitely go back again!!!

Date of experience: April 2017
1  Thank klonsafari
ExperienciaPuerto, General Manager at Experiencia, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2017

Hi! Thank you very much, we are very glad you had fun here! See you in Puerto soon!

See more reviews
Reviewed March 13, 2017

Great 1 on 1 classes with Sarai....acomodation was nice and clean. Suzy was very quick to get a few things fixed in the room. I ate lunch there often, very good and barato. Took about 20 surfing classes at the experiencia camp at la punta. Ulises was my coach....he is very dedicated in seeing you progress and very knowledgeable and supportive.....too bad that the video recording and viewing was not possible during my time there...it would help...Ramon runs a good ship. Thanks for the memories

Date of experience: February 2017
1  Thank christophekP6235QD

Hola Christoph!
Thank you so much for your review! Sarai, Susy, Ulises and Ramon say hi and are giving you a big hug. Video recording and viewing for surf classes is, indeed, important - already working on it. Thanks for being a great student and person, see you soon in Puerto again!