“Great location and genuinely dog friendly”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Jane W
Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
“Disappointed is an understatement.”
Reviewed May 27, 2017 for a stay in May 2017
people found this review helpful

Although we had planned to take our two dogs with us, a few days before we decided to book them into the kennels, thank goodness we did. We arrived late Saturday afternoon and Mr Corin showed us around, there was a definite smell of damp and grease, a lump of which he pointed out to us on the front of the cooker complete with dog hairs, two apparently broken knobs were missing but he did give us new replacements on Monday.
The towels and bed linen were the oldest I've ever seen and smelt which I at first put down to possibly cheap washing powder.
My husband who was asthmatic decades ago developed a tight chest the first evening which we put down to damp.
The rusted towel rail did not ever come on and when my husband told Mr Corin he insisted it was on 10 hours daily. I sat up most of the Monday night as I couldn't stand the smell of the pillows any longer. Reading the Guest Book I discovered that holidaymakers at the end of April 2017 had taken two cats - who knew people took cats on their holidays! My husband is allergic to cats. So Tuesday we both admitted we couldn't stay there another night and found alternative accommodation in a guest house (thank goodness we didn't have the dogs with us or we'd have had to go home.)
I'm still washing clothes and jackets as everything we took into that cottage stinks and we'll be throwing our bags away.
Although I emailed Sykes Cottages the next day they still haven't acknowledged or replied to me.

pugh_greg
Ruthin, United Kingdom
“Great location and genuinely dog friendly”
Reviewed March 16, 2017 for a stay in March 2017

Actual dog friendly place. small enclosed garden. tiled floors in lounge, owner very relaxed and actually owns dogs. Location is good for south and north coast. close to trainline.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Lancashir...
Lancashire
“avoid”
Reviewed August 27, 2015 for a stay in August 2015
people found this review helpful

the photographs look idyllic and the description matched the photographs BUT...... these must have been taken several years ago because they are totally unrepresentative of reality. For a start, the gardens, once carefully planted are now overgrown with weeds and brambles.....although the owner does mow the approx. 4' wide strip of grass. The steps are dark and quite dingy - there are no pretty flower baskets on the wall. While the front of the outside has clearly been given a lick of paint (its white not yellow as portrayed) the side and rear are the original yellow....now flaking. the patio furniture illustrated on the photo has been replaced with rusty metal table and a couple of chairs - although there are a couple of metal tubs with evergreens. no flowers. Because the whole building is in the shadow of the old disused mill (doesn't look as in good nick as it does on the photos) the patio and inside are very dark. if you look at the photos on the website you will see all the lights are on. When we arrived the owner asked us to move our car away from the mill because there was a danger of falling tiles....so don't walk too near! Once inside - everywhere is dark and on face value looks clean....a decent (if not 4 tick) place as a base. The fridge and cooker and inside cupboards are immaculately clean and there is more than enough utensils, crockery, cutlery etc. The towels are soft and fluffy but the bed linen which was laundered, is very old and has seen better days - probably better days in the 80's. It was when I closed the bedroom door that I noticed the cobwebs....and dirt on skirting boards. So I looked further, in all corners there were cobwebs, even inside the shelving unit. not just strands of fine gossamer one might expect in a rural setting....thick felt like cobwebs often still inhabited with huge 'huntsman' spiders. The bathroom was also a blast from the past as was the mildew around the tiles, the basin is cracked. As for water....a facility that one expects.....the pressure is so low you have to be patient and wait but the hot water is very limited. So much so, it ran out and I had to get my husband to boil a kettle and make up jugs of water to rinse my hair. Other surprises....a half chewed dog toy under a piece of furniture ( I pushed it back so well done if you find it!) A dirty old sock under the bed (we discarded that....sorry if it was yours) There are some pleasant experiences....families of rabbits roam freely and are very cute to watch, and the station just a short walk away is a godsend. The owner is really friendly....but don't expect to be left alone for a romantic escape. He did ask on a daily basis (sometimes more often) if everything was alright and there are signs up asking to notify problems....but I couldn't bring myself to say, you need to redecorate and clean this property properly....so I added to the visitors book and was amazed that no one eels had ever made similar comments. Our holiday was wonderful....you cant fail to enjoy beautiful Cornwall but the cottage is nothing as described...it may have been some years ago. I wouldn't have booked it if it had shown accurate photographs, I was looking for a 4 or 5 tick property and this does not make the grade at all.

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
Sep 1, 2015
Thank you for your feedback. We are so sorry that you encountered problems during your stay and can see that you have spoken with our Customer Services team in regards to your concerns. We have shared this feedback with the property owner and our quality assurance team to ensure that these issues are rectified moving forward. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the beauty of Cornwall and wish you all the best for the future - Sykes Cottages
tunbridge wells
Reviewed October 21, 2013 for a stay in July 2013

Belper
Reviewed August 29, 2013 for a stay in June 2013
person found this review helpful

A romantic getaway
hockley essex
Reviewed December 5, 2012 for a stay in September 2012

A romantic getaway Older travelers
Rugged travelers
Washington Tyne 7 Wear
Reviewed September 6, 2012 for a stay in May 2012

A romantic getaway Rugged travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing