All reviewssteak nightwedding venuelovely old buildingtrebarwith strandthe pubstandard roomgreat atmospherestayed one nightsunday lunchcooked to perfectionmusselsweekend breakfriendly welcomeate herefeel very welcomenorth cornwallfamily room
Reviewed September 24, 2010

We have just spent 4 idylic days here and only needed to use the car once. Very welcoming and peaceful place, a hidden gem. The beach is fantastic and is within walking distance. We walked the coast path in both directions which has stunning views. Breakfast certainly sets you up for the day and the paupers meal on Wednesday was fantastic and outstanding value. I've visited most of Cornwall over the years and this place is definitely high on my list of places to visit again I just can't believe it has taken me so long to find it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2010

Looked really lovely from the outside, but on entering room 3 the wall below the shelf with tea and coffee on it was covered with damp and mould. the celing was mouldy in the bathroom and behind the tap was dirty and not been cleaned properly. this establishment was ment to be four stars, perhaps the other rooms were nicer but ours was a let down. also it was a sunday night and you expect the noise from the pub below to tail off after about 22:30, but at 23:30 the pub was still in full flow with music playing really loudly, which i thought was inconsiderate to their guests! this was supposed to be a break away which was long overdue and we felt reluctant to complain at the time as we were unsure if we would get anywhere at such short notice.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2010

Dancing light on pebbled stream
Peace and calm, a chance to dream
A La Carte to make Van Gogh envious
Sense of those who lived before
Breakfast portions - Famous Five
We’ll definitely be back for more

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 21, 2010

It seems The Mill House Inn has become a victim of it's own success as they have now built a quite large extension in order to cater for wedding receptions and other large functions. However, it seems they are trying to keep their local patrons happy whilst catering for the bigger money spinners, but it didn't work for us. The bar was noisy and raucous and upon arrival, service was very haphazard and insincere, eg. barmaid said you can't have a table for at least an hour, but then we were shown to a table in the non-atmospheric 'aircraft hangar' within 20 minutes. The quality of the food was actually GREAT, but the service was letting the chef down big time, and we left feeling that if we were the chef, we would NOT be happy. In the end, we were ready to order dessert, but because we watched two other tables be asked for their orders before us (who were way behind us prior to that), we went off the idea. We complained, they were apologetic, but it tainted the experience for us. A real shame, as the food was excellent. We would probably not go back as a result.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2010

We booked a table here for dinner because of the Mill House's image, my husband went a few years ago and said the food was excellent. He recently passed by, which reminded him, and he decided to treat me to dinner (even though it's an hour and a half's drive from home!). Full of expectation then, we arrived and ordered a drink. I thought the service was a little frosty and unfortunately it didn't improve, which was a shame. The table that had been reserved for us wasn't ideal (next to the kitchen door) and, although everyone else at the other four tables looked cosy and happy, we felt a bit shoved in the corner. We were told that we could either stay put or move into the restaurant, where there was no-one else at the time, and we decided to do so. The room was fairly bare, about ten tables around a pool table. The worst thing was the temperature - it was freezing! Admittedly, it was January and cold but I soon discovered that a window was open and letting in a terrible draft that was almost blowing the candle on our table out. I stood up and battled with the window, during which a waitress brought our starters and didn't offer to help; once it was shut the place warmed up a bit.

We happened to arrive on 'Pauper's Night', so there was a set menu for a reasonable price. We had an explanation from the waitress that out of season the restaurant was shut and that the previous owners had started Pauper's Night and they had to continue it. It was no problem for us, but I thought it was a shame that because we arrived 'out of season' we were somehow not entitled to the best service. The restricted menu was fine and the food really tasty but the surroundings let it down, apart from the open window there were cobwebs in the corners and over the pictures (which were for sale), the woodburner was dark and cold and from our table we had a wonderful view of the washing machines in the laundry room. The bathroom was good, had obviously been recently done up, and there were signs of effort in the rest of the place but a recent lack of care really showed.

The food was, I think, the best bit. I had moules to start, followed by hake with new potatoes, spinach and chorizo (which was delicious) and then cherry and cinnamon creme brulee (not so great - cold and obviously straight out of the fridge with some sugar burnt on top, strong cinnamon flavour but no evidence of cherries). My husband had white onion and cheese soup, asparagus and mushroom linquine (he doesn't like fish and there was little other choice) followed by sticky toffee pudding (which was lovely!). However several hours later he was hit by a stomach upset and spent some unhappy time in the bathroom. I personally find onion soup does this to me every time, so I blame that, but he's never had such a reaction before. This aside, I thought the food was professionally done - just a shame for the chef that the surroundings let it down.

Anyway, the price was a bargain £38 for a three course meal for two plus drinks. The sad thing is that if the service and surroundings had impressed us we would certainly go back to try the full menu, not on a Pauper's Evening and not 'out of season'. Reading an interview with the owner that was pinned to the bar as we paid, it was interesting to see that he prided himself on many of the things we found fault with. Maybe he should look with fresh eyes and see what new visitors see. A shame, as I really wanted to like this place.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple