All reviews steak night wedding venue lovely old building trebarwith strand the pub standard room great atmosphere stayed one night sunday lunch cooked to perfection mussels weekend break friendly welcome ate here feel very welcome north cornwall family room
Reviewed January 21, 2010

We booked a table here for dinner because of the Mill House's image, my husband went a few years ago and said the food was excellent. He recently passed by, which reminded him, and he decided to treat me to dinner (even though it's an hour and a half's drive from home!). Full of expectation then, we arrived and ordered a drink. I thought the service was a little frosty and unfortunately it didn't improve, which was a shame. The table that had been reserved for us wasn't ideal (next to the kitchen door) and, although everyone else at the other four tables looked cosy and happy, we felt a bit shoved in the corner. We were told that we could either stay put or move into the restaurant, where there was no-one else at the time, and we decided to do so. The room was fairly bare, about ten tables around a pool table. The worst thing was the temperature - it was freezing! Admittedly, it was January and cold but I soon discovered that a window was open and letting in a terrible draft that was almost blowing the candle on our table out. I stood up and battled with the window, during which a waitress brought our starters and didn't offer to help; once it was shut the place warmed up a bit.

We happened to arrive on 'Pauper's Night', so there was a set menu for a reasonable price. We had an explanation from the waitress that out of season the restaurant was shut and that the previous owners had started Pauper's Night and they had to continue it. It was no problem for us, but I thought it was a shame that because we arrived 'out of season' we were somehow not entitled to the best service. The restricted menu was fine and the food really tasty but the surroundings let it down, apart from the open window there were cobwebs in the corners and over the pictures (which were for sale), the woodburner was dark and cold and from our table we had a wonderful view of the washing machines in the laundry room. The bathroom was good, had obviously been recently done up, and there were signs of effort in the rest of the place but a recent lack of care really showed.

The food was, I think, the best bit. I had moules to start, followed by hake with new potatoes, spinach and chorizo (which was delicious) and then cherry and cinnamon creme brulee (not so great - cold and obviously straight out of the fridge with some sugar burnt on top, strong cinnamon flavour but no evidence of cherries). My husband had white onion and cheese soup, asparagus and mushroom linquine (he doesn't like fish and there was little other choice) followed by sticky toffee pudding (which was lovely!). However several hours later he was hit by a stomach upset and spent some unhappy time in the bathroom. I personally find onion soup does this to me every time, so I blame that, but he's never had such a reaction before. This aside, I thought the food was professionally done - just a shame for the chef that the surroundings let it down.

Anyway, the price was a bargain £38 for a three course meal for two plus drinks. The sad thing is that if the service and surroundings had impressed us we would certainly go back to try the full menu, not on a Pauper's Evening and not 'out of season'. Reading an interview with the owner that was pinned to the bar as we paid, it was interesting to see that he prided himself on many of the things we found fault with. Maybe he should look with fresh eyes and see what new visitors see. A shame, as I really wanted to like this place.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank thekateress
Reviewed December 9, 2009

Spent the weekend at the Mill House with our extended family and everything was perfect. Very warm welcome and charming staff throughout our stay. Bar was fantastic to relax in and drink their local beers. Restaurant was able to accomodate a large table for 12 of us, and the service and food were faultless. Rooms were warm and cosy, with comfortable beds with a good shower. Location of the Inn was great, as it was a pleasant 10minute walk to the coast where you can enjoy a spot of lunch over looking the sea.

Would recommend to anyone looking for a relaxing weekend away.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 2, 2009

A real find - and we live in Cornwall! Everything works effortlessly because the attention to detail is impressive (e.g. bottled water and filtered coffee in rooms with Fair Trade featuring largely). Staff training must be first class - the restaurant staff remembered from one eve to the next exactly what we had ordered the previous night and brought jugs of water, etc. without our asking in fact, all staff are courteous and professional. The food is absolutely excellent - obviously a lot of local sourcing - the wild garlic soup was a revelation and Chef gave me his recipe for their delicious tomato chutney! The owners have managed that very difficult combination of keeping the essence of the pub and a very relaxed, local atmosphere with a more formal but very comfortable superb new restaurant. We recommend this in every way - and we can be rather picky!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2009

Enjoyed a lovely weekend there. The food is delicious, the service is excellent - the staff are super efficient and very friendly. We arived to a lovely welcome. The place combines a traditional pub with a very stylish restaurant. The staff were very attentive. The room was very comfortable and furnished with taste. We would very much like to go there again, as it was such a pleasure to be there. It is in such a beautiful part of the country too.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2009

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)