All reviews steak night wedding venue lovely old building trebarwith strand the pub standard room great atmosphere stayed one night sunday lunch cooked to perfection mussels weekend break friendly welcome ate here feel very welcome north cornwall family room
Reviewed June 4, 2011

My wife and I visit the area regularly and are always on the look out for new places. We spend a great deal of time down at Trebarwith Strand and have driven past The Mill House on many occasions and to be honest had not given it a second thought as we’d assumed it was nothing more than a ‘crab sandwich and pint pub’. Whilst (for a giggle) reading some of the reviews for the ‘barking’ Tintagel Castle Hotel we noticed a couple of references to The Mill and thought we’d give it a try.

The restaurant is in what looks like a barn conversion at the back of the building. It’s light and airy and well done in muted tones. The high ceilings and wooden floors makes it a bit ‘boomy’ but the tables are well spaced so there’s no real noise problem.

The menu is sensible and well balanced; about 6 starters and mains (so you know this is freshly prepared stuff) there was also a comprehensive wine list which was reasonably priced. We both had scallops in a chick pea puree to start – which arrived on the obligatory pieces of slate – a simple and well put together dish. Mains were a seafood broth for my wife and a rib eye steak with mini steak and mushroom pie for me; again both excellently executed, nice simple flavours, superbly presented and very well cooked. Puddings again great, chocolate brownie for me and sticky toffee pud for my wife.

But, there is a ‘but’. . . The service. . . Whilst it wasn’t ‘bad’, it just wasn’t ‘good’. We and a number of other diners had to ask for bread (which incidentally was home made and excellent) before the meal, food was literally ‘plonked down’ without a simple “enjoy your meal”. Mistakes with dishes were being made (not with us admittedly but with other diners) and one just got the impression that this was a young group of kids, doing this as a holiday/evening job with no real training or care – which in an establishment of this quality, shouldn’t be happening – one felt they needed a restaurant manager to watch these kids like a hawk.

So there we have it, all in all an excellent meal in great surroundings, just sort the staff out and it really will be a great, great venue. . . Oh, and one other thing, the chairs that are stacked “out of sight” above the doorway to the restaurant. . . They’re not “out of sight” at all and make the place look untidy!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JGX
Reviewed May 9, 2011

This hotel is in a wonderful location. The staff were very friendly. Decor a little tired. Overall impressed and would stay again.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms over bar at weekends Can be noisy.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Disaster
Totally miislead by the website
Went for an evening meal in the bar rather than the restaurant to be confrunted with the "Paupers Menu" which lived up to its name. choice of 3 starters and 3 mains - but as a non fish eater this rendered me only 1 choice of each.
The bars staff were more interested in chatting to themselves rather than assisting the customers. The food was - strange! I chose meatballs linguini with garlic bread. Whislt the main meal was adequate - but certainly nothing more than a prepackaged warmed up mealk, the garlic bread was a disgrace and inedible. It consisted of 2 small slices of french stick (stale) with a LUMP of garlic butter dollop[ed in the middle and stone cold.

Also - BEWARE - We were paying by card and the var staff kept the card by the till - not in a lock box and when we paid the bill seemed to have forgotten they already had the card. Lets just say I will be watching my statement carefully incase of any irrefular charges to the card as ANYONE in the pub cvould have access to it.

A big dissappointment - lets hope it improves as it is a wonderful lcoation.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2010

My wife and I celebrated our 'Pearl' wedding anniversary recently and stayed at this hotel in room 1. We had read some of the comments by other reporters, and were a little concerned. We should not have been! Our room was clean, warm and well appointed. The staff were friendly and did all they could to help us make our stay enjoyable. At the last minute I called them and asked for flowers and Champagne to be in our room upon arrival, it was... We ate in each night and found the food to be first class. I wanted some 'rib eye steak', so requested it, even though it was not on the menu at that time. That evening I had my 'rib eye' just as I like it. Well done Chef and thank you! This hotel is old and 'quaint' in some ways and is being gradually refurbished without the loss of its old style charm. Our breakfast Chef produced the best scrambled egg I have ever tasted, served with a choice of local produce. If you want good food, a comfortable bed, friendly and helpful staff then this is the place for you.... Enjoy, we did!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2010

We ate here this week as we were staying in the area on holiday. We were looking forward to an evening to 'treat' ourselves as the area is not renowned for any culinary adventures at all.
It was a Thursday night and the restaurant had about 10 other guests eating, some staying at the hotel and others such as ourselves. The young man who was our waiter was excellent, very polite, cheery and helpful.
The menu was on the pretentious side, I suspect someone may have been watching a few too many episodes of Masterchef. Our starters were beautifully presented, what some of them may have lacked in flavour made up for by being mini works of art. Alas, 2 of us had the belly of pork with langoustines. It struck us as an odd combination but we love pork so boldly went ahead. The pork was sublime, the langoustines were uncleaned, barely cooked and totally out of place. My friend foolishly ate one of the dirty langoustines and was very poorly the next day. I left the offending item and pointed it out to the waiter who said he would inform the kitchen.... well, we never heard any more about it. A shame that either the chef or the owner couldn't have taken some responsibilty. The other 2 meals were fine but nothing to justify the inflated prices. We didn't venture to have a dessert so can't comment on them.
A beautiful venue, maybe guilty of trying too hard and failing to get the basics right.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends