All reviewssteak nightwedding venuelovely old buildingtrebarwith strandthe pubstandard roomgreat atmospherestayed one nightsunday lunchcooked to perfectionmusselsweekend breakfriendly welcomeate herefeel very welcomenorth cornwallfamily room
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Disaster
Totally miislead by the website
Went for an evening meal in the bar rather than the restaurant to be confrunted with the "Paupers Menu" which lived up to its name. choice of 3 starters and 3 mains - but as a non fish eater this rendered me only 1 choice of each.
The bars staff were more interested in chatting to themselves rather than assisting the customers. The food was - strange! I chose meatballs linguini with garlic bread. Whislt the main meal was adequate - but certainly nothing more than a prepackaged warmed up mealk, the garlic bread was a disgrace and inedible. It consisted of 2 small slices of french stick (stale) with a LUMP of garlic butter dollop[ed in the middle and stone cold.

Also - BEWARE - We were paying by card and the var staff kept the card by the till - not in a lock box and when we paid the bill seemed to have forgotten they already had the card. Lets just say I will be watching my statement carefully incase of any irrefular charges to the card as ANYONE in the pub cvould have access to it.

A big dissappointment - lets hope it improves as it is a wonderful lcoation.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 8, 2010

My wife and I celebrated our 'Pearl' wedding anniversary recently and stayed at this hotel in room 1. We had read some of the comments by other reporters, and were a little concerned. We should not have been! Our room was clean, warm and well appointed. The staff were friendly and did all they could to help us make our stay enjoyable. At the last minute I called them and asked for flowers and Champagne to be in our room upon arrival, it was... We ate in each night and found the food to be first class. I wanted some 'rib eye steak', so requested it, even though it was not on the menu at that time. That evening I had my 'rib eye' just as I like it. Well done Chef and thank you! This hotel is old and 'quaint' in some ways and is being gradually refurbished without the loss of its old style charm. Our breakfast Chef produced the best scrambled egg I have ever tasted, served with a choice of local produce. If you want good food, a comfortable bed, friendly and helpful staff then this is the place for you.... Enjoy, we did!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2010

We ate here this week as we were staying in the area on holiday. We were looking forward to an evening to 'treat' ourselves as the area is not renowned for any culinary adventures at all.
It was a Thursday night and the restaurant had about 10 other guests eating, some staying at the hotel and others such as ourselves. The young man who was our waiter was excellent, very polite, cheery and helpful.
The menu was on the pretentious side, I suspect someone may have been watching a few too many episodes of Masterchef. Our starters were beautifully presented, what some of them may have lacked in flavour made up for by being mini works of art. Alas, 2 of us had the belly of pork with langoustines. It struck us as an odd combination but we love pork so boldly went ahead. The pork was sublime, the langoustines were uncleaned, barely cooked and totally out of place. My friend foolishly ate one of the dirty langoustines and was very poorly the next day. I left the offending item and pointed it out to the waiter who said he would inform the kitchen.... well, we never heard any more about it. A shame that either the chef or the owner couldn't have taken some responsibilty. The other 2 meals were fine but nothing to justify the inflated prices. We didn't venture to have a dessert so can't comment on them.
A beautiful venue, maybe guilty of trying too hard and failing to get the basics right.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 5, 2010

We have eaten at the Mill 3 times & have had an excellent meal every time. The restaurant is light, airy with a good atmosphere & the young but very knowledgeable waiting staff do well even when busy. In fact we actually prefer the service from them than the owner himself! The 2nd time of visiting I had the pleasure of meeting one of the sous chefs, Adam who was, even after a full day in the kitchen, enthusiastic & energetic & was happy to talk about some of his amazingly creative ideas.

On our 3rd visit we discussed perhaps booking a table for some of our friends for my 'big' birthday with the possibility of booking some of the rooms. We asked the owner after we had finished our meal if we could have a look at the accommodation & he said that he could show us one of the superior room as all the other ooms were occupied.

As we passed through the pub - we have had a drink in here & it's very different to the restaurant but relaxed & an equally good atmosphere - and into the reception area, the contrast was immediate & shocking. The reception was not only shabby but dirty & grimy. The owner took us up the stairs & to the first room on the left. I think my face must have said it all. Both myself & Moonface we totally speechless. The room was just awful. Bare, what furniture there was was old & tatty, the bathroom was dirty & mouldy, the paint was peeling on the walls & to be honest we were amazed that they have the front to rent out a room like this at all, let alone as a superior. And the owner seemed to think the room was lovely. After an embarrasing silence, we left promptly.

We will go back for a meal but the experience has been slighly marred by knowing what is on the other side of that door. My recommendation would be go for a meal & I doubt if you will be disappointed but don't what ever you do stay there or suggest to anyone you want to stay on friendly terms with to stay there either.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
TheMillHouseTintagel, General Manager at The Mill House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2010

We are glad that the reviewer enjoyed our restaurant and appreciates the level of service that our staff endeavour to provide, it is a shame that this wasn't reflected in their service score.

We do not feel that this is a very fair review for the following reasons:

1 - The reviewer did not stay with us.
2- The comments about the quality of the rooms were based on a cursory glimpse of Room 1, not other rooms were viewed.
3-This review was written 4 weeks after the visit and no comments were made to us at the time.
4-We accept that the room is in need of some decotation however we feel that the reviewer has exaggerated slightly, at the end of a busy summer season there is always redecorating and repair to be done, particularily in a 16th century building, this will start in November. We do not accept that the bathroom was dirty or mouldy.
Our reception area has also been earmarked for refurbishment this winter as this is a high traffic area located between the bar and the terrace.

The Mill House

Reviewed September 24, 2010

We have just spent 4 idylic days here and only needed to use the car once. Very welcoming and peaceful place, a hidden gem. The beach is fantastic and is within walking distance. We walked the coast path in both directions which has stunning views. Breakfast certainly sets you up for the day and the paupers meal on Wednesday was fantastic and outstanding value. I've visited most of Cornwall over the years and this place is definitely high on my list of places to visit again I just can't believe it has taken me so long to find it.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple