“fantastic fine dining”

Black Horse Inn Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Home Style
Description: The Black Horse Inn is a Beautiful, Charming Village Inn with Five Star Bedrooms and a Two AA Rosette Restaurant in Kirkby Fleetham in the Hambleton District of North Yorkshire, which resides between the North York Moors & Yorkshire Dales National Parks. Offering Seven En-Suite Rooms with Flat-Screen TV's, Regional Real Ales and Modern British Food.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Excellent value for money ,lunch time specials two courses for £10 or three for £15. Choice of 4 starters ,4 mains and 4 sweets. Also a-la-carte menu. Special steaks nights Steak ,and chips with bottle of wine £25 for two. Fine dining at its best.

1  Thank kevin d

Reviewed July 23, 2013

On our way south on the A1/M we agreed to find a place off the road to eat. We found this place on-line and booked lunch on our way down from Scotland. Despite being late for the booking the staff were very helpful and understanding. The restaurant is full of atmosphere and the food was well cooked with generous portions. The black pudding in particular was one of the best I have ever tasted. Good value for money and very pleasant and helpful staff. Would recommend to take a break from the motorway and it is only 5 minutes away. Much better than a service area.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Third visit for Sunday lunch over the last 18 months. Excellent reception and shown to a lovely table in the restaurant area. Not full, but plenty of other diners. Restaurant also put on a BBQ alfresco in the garden. Super twice baked soufflé for her, I had whitebait, both lovely. Mains were traditional roast beef and leg of lamb. The lamb was as nice as I have eaten anywhere, served on a bed of white onion purée with puréed potatoes, roasties, mixed veg and large Yorkshire pud. Neither of us could manage puddings, but there looked a good selection.
A pint of Timothy Taylor's Landlord, and a glass of red wine also went down well!!
Our only negative- a rather long wait for the starters but acceptable as both very freshly cooked.

1  Thank Francis M
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Lovely pub from outside and just as good on the inside. Went with friends for lunch, very friendly waitress, although rathe slow at the bar with the same girl working the bar too. Rather a brusque owner/manager, not rude, just off hand.

We all had two courses and one drink each, the bill was a hundred pounds including the tip. This was a high price for a meal which was enjoyable but not amazing. The bread which arrived was very salty. Starters were fine, but not amazing. Main courses were salmon salad which was ok our friends enjoyed theirs, mine was a little dry and underwhelming, salad and dressing were good. The gammon chosen by the other member of the party was lovely as was the egg, the chips had been salted in the kitchen and quite heavily. Perhaps customers could be allowed to salt them for themselves.

We got the feeling that regulars are very much loved perhaps to the detriment of others.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I think some of the reviews are a bit excited and over the top, but this is not to be negative because there is no doubt that it is an excellent spot for lunch and it is good value. It is a good pub and I enjoyed my recent lunch there.
There is one small thing that annoys me and it is that they follow this fashion for salting chips before they are served. I try to cut down my salt intake and although I don't need to do so for medical reasons, I do know that some people have to maintain a low sodium diet. I very rarely add salt to food when I dine out because the chef will have seasoned it properly and balanced the food. Does a chef salt the chips because he is "seasoning" them? Maybe, but I think that on balance you should leave the customer to add their own salt to chips. Leave pre-salting to MacDonalds and Burger King.
That aside, the Black Horse does do an excellent lunch, good service, good bar, and good prices. Just don't be heavy handed with the salt.