“El hotel más lindo de Barra de Navidad” 5 of 5 stars
Review of CocoCabanas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Barra de Navidad
CocoCabanas
You added CocoCabanas to your Saves list
Oceano Pacifico, Barra de Navidad 48987, Mexico   |
DF
“El hotel más lindo de Barra de Navidad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

My fiance and I are from Mexico and we visited the coast of Colima and Barra de Navidad for 2012 New Year's holidays. We originally arrived to Los Pascuales a beautiful almost virgin black sanded beachin Colima near Cuyutlan. While the beach was amazing (it is a surfing beach) there is no confy, cozy, hotel to spend the night. We found a small surfers hotel which albeit the nice staff, was less than comfortable.

We were looking for a place which was cozy, had a small number of rooms, chilled out people, and located at a beach far away from big fancy hotels and tourists. If it was eco-friendly and owned by Mexicans that was a plus.

We escaped Los Pascuales through Manzanillo and finally got to Barra de Navidad in Jalisco. While Barra is lovely, has a lovely beach, great environment and no huge hotels and exaggerated tourism (except for the Wyndham Hotel in neighboring Isla) the hotels were not what we were looking for. They are not at the beach, and they are not cozy.

When we were almost giving up and planning to drive back to Mexico City, we found Coco Cabañas located in Isla de Navidad at an amazing white sand beach with no hotels, big lights, huge crowds. The hotel is owned by a wonderful woman called Maria who runs it with an all femal staff of wonderful, cheerful, chilled out women. It has only four adobe made cabañas with high palm ceilings and an exquisite rustic decor. Maria has done wonders with this place which is truly a paradise.

Not only are the cabañas lovely, romantic, and cozy, but the food at the restaurant is absolutely delicious, fresh and made on the spot so you feel at home. At night, the restaurant is a gathering spot for Canadians who own houses around it and who on Thursdays come to Coco Cabañas for a movie night.

Given the small amount of rooms the people who stay there form a small community and enjoy long chats over breakfast, lunch or dinner.

If what you are looking for is good taste, calm relaxing environment, privacy and local vibe, this is the place to be!

Room Tip: Best room is the one nearest the beach, the others are right behind it. So if you get this one no-on...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Playa del Carmen, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

On the website they say that this is not a place to go if you are looking for luxury. Thats true, because this is not a 5 star resort when you talk about the rooms. The cabins are like Gilligans Island revisited, and are really cool. No A/C and no fridge, but you have one of the best locations in Mexico. 22 km's of open beach..... a great breeze... friendly hosts... good food.. and a great place to unwind. I love this beach and the location and had a fantastic time. I was there for 2 nights, and was the only one there. PERFECT. Its a 10 minute drive to the city.... 15 minutes to Melaque, or just a short boat ride across the lagoon to Barra. I was there in June, but next time will go during storm season, or in November when its cooler. I like this place, and think anyone who stays here, will have a good time.

Room Tip: There are 2 kinds of rooms, but the Cabana closest to the ocean is the best and quietest.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Craig J
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I'm surprised how few reviews there are about this place; seems it's a real hit with countless Canadians / Americans who travel there every year.

My wife and I drove right down the Costa Alegre looking for a decent place to stay and this was the best one we saw.

Pros:
- very nice, modern and Mexican-style cabins. They're two story; top story is an open floor with your bed. The bottom story has the bathroom, a lounge area etc.
- great restaurant (try the jalapeno poppers)
- great owners/staff who are very friendly, helpful etc
- nice pool
- free wifi
- Monday nights are 'movie night'; seems to be a big hit with all the local Canadians/Americans, dozens of whom emerge from their condos for what is a nice social event. They project a different movie each week up onto a big screen in the restaurant.

Cons:
- like many Mexican beaches on the Pacific coast, it's probably too rough for most
- it's quite isolated; it's one of only a handful of places on the 20km long beach. The other places are private condos. So if you want to go out to dinner, it's a 15min drive to Barra de Navidad, the nearest town.
- having the bed on the top floor of the cabins and the bathroom downstairs (it's a ladder between the two floors) can be a pain if you need a midnight bathroom break.

Overall, I'd thoroughly recommend it. My wife and I booked for 10 nights as soon as we saw the place.

Room Tip: Go for the cabin closest to the beach; but if it's not available, they're all great, with oc...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank J-dog9842
Manzanillo, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

My wife and I shared our birthday together at CocoCabanas, we are familiar with playa de cocos as we live in Manzanillo. My wife had been there before with friends for a party years before and knew the owners. We arrived a little late but had no problem getting a drink and room key within minutes of arrival, the cabana is awesome, it is not for everyone as I can see from some of the reviews. i love it, Adobe construction, raw wood accents, ocean view, it is like the kewlest tree fort you would have made as a kid if you had an engineering degree. We also came on a movie night, no big deal, they gave us a table outside of the palapa and got served our meals first. Ok I got a little drunk and might have disrupted the movie watchers, my bad. We had a great time. We will be returning each and every year for our birthday night away.

Room Tip: Make sure this is the place for you.
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

I would highly recommend CocoCabanas! The huts are comfortable, and Jeff and Maria make you feel like family. It is only about 25 minutes from the airport but might as well be a million miles away because the stress just melts away as soon as you arrive. The main palapa is a fun place to gather, meet other guests, and just hang out. The food is absolutely delicious and it's nice to have a cold beer as you watch the ocean rolling in. I have nothing but great things to say about the place!!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank Goldie56California
Portland, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

We stayed down the beach from CocoCabanas on our honeymoon but dined at the restaurant twice during our week long stay. Our first night we got in late and they not only stayed open to accommodate us but the food was top notch. It was exactly what I'd been craving for my first meal in Mexico. I had the fajitas and my wife raved about the fish tacos claiming they were the best she'd ever had. The service was friendly and Maria welcomed us and spoke with us, (speaking very good English). The open air atmosphere was amazing. We were even offered bug repellent even though the bugs were not a problem. We also ate there on our last night and were catered to much more of the same. I had the quesadilla and my wife had the enchiladas, both very well presented and tasty. We met Jeff that evening and chatted with him for a while learning that he had Portland ties, where we were also from. He offered us a tour of the cabanas which were very clean and well kept. Anyone who is staying or traveling in the area should stop in for some really great food. Also the free wireless internet was very convenient and accessible from my iPhone (just ask your server for the password). There was no problems getting reception in the dining area. This was handy as our house didn't have access. Overall CocoCabanas is very recommended!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Poland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

I' ve visited Cabanas twice last year... And I start to miss it again... Maria&Jeff will do everything that you wish even before you say it. Morning walks by the wild shouting ocean will fill you with energy for loooong time. And back in your air conditioned home you will dream about fresh breeze that accompanied your night sleep. STRONGLY RECOMMEND. (Food in restaurant is excellent, do not forget to taste jalapenos poppers)

• Stayed November 2008
Cabo Blanco Hotel
Cabo Blanco Hotel
#1 of 14 in Barra de Navidad
4.0 of 5 stars 82 reviews

Been to CocoCabanas? Share your experiences!