New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Boozarama” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel San Felipe

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Barra de Navidad
Hotel San Felipe
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Barra de Navidad
Vancouver, Canada
“Boozarama”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2011

Basic rooms, clean enough but not well furnished. If you like drinking, its a great place to hang out. Felipe thinks he is witty and intelligent but he's mostly too drunk to know. Lots of family drama. Don't get between Felipe and Linda. Linda will cook for you when its convenient or not at all. Assorted colourful characters with odd personalities that hover around the place. Federales like to bring their "girlfriends" there for the night. If you speak fluent Spanish, you'll be alright but otherwise you are always guessing what the 'seedy' undertone might mean.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
5 Thank gogo154943

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Saskatoon, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2009

To say the least we were pretty disappointed to see what they advertise on the web versus what is really there. The place is getting run down and dirty, to say the kitchenettes are fully furnished is a stretch, there are no queen beds as advertised, no bicycles either, maid service is also a stretch, sweeping the floor is a service of some sort I guess. The family drama kinda wears on one every day, if Linda is feeling up to it you might get some food cooked. There are better places to stay without the family drama and cheaper.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank FXSTS02

Travelers are raving about these Barra de Navidad hotels

Winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2009

This hotel is one of those little gems that should be kept quiet, but what I saw and what I've generally read present two opposing views. So, here's a snapshot of my experience at the Hotel San Felipe.

I love it! The location is especially fine. The wave action on the beach is a bit higher than further up the bay, but it is no issue for an experienced swimmer. Those traveling with children should be attentive when the kids are in the water and that goes for everywhere!

The hotel is very clean. The service was exceptional and I felt like part of a large family after meeting so many of Felipe's relatives and adopted relatives. The food was very good and the attitude of the staff should be duplicated in every hotel around the world.

The ONLY change that I could ask for would be an in-room safe and I did query this aspect to learn that it hasn't been an issue in the past.

I had a room on the 2nd floor and was never bothered by other guests or noises, excepting that there was a fiesta weekend in town that played music at night. The room wasn't large, but was tasteful and quite sufficient for two people.

Would I return? I'm hoping to do so for a month, next winter.

• Liked — Pretty much everything!
  • Disliked — The distance from my home.
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FrugalOenophile
chapala, jalisco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2009

I learned an important lesson from this our 2-night stay at the Hotel San Felipe: always ask if features that are listed on the web site are actually available--before you pay. Here are some comments:
First, the restaurant and bar were closed during our stay; the cook had just quit, apparently.
Second, we had no hot water for 2 of the 3 days we were there. It was warm enough for sponge bathing but certainly not for full immersion.
Third, the parrots that perch above the entrance much of the time create quite a mess on the floor, a very unappealing way to make a first impression.
Fourth, the pounding waves that I could hear from ocean-side room that I was in kept me awake at night.
Fifth, the beach outside the hotel had a steep incline and, as a result, there was a very heavy undertow. I went in once and had so much trouble getting out again that I didn't go back in. Instead, we went to other beaches in the area.
So, on balance, I was rather disappointed by the place.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank ecollard
kamloops
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2008

I loved this place. It is family and extended family run, and things are on Mexican time. We met all sorts of people. I enjoyed the size the this hotel and the area. Not a great swimming beach in the winter, and the hotel lacks a pool. That is the closest I can come to a complaint. We had a wonderful time with Linda, Phil, and family. Linda is the BEST cook. Can hardly wait to go back!

• Liked — the people who ran the place
  • Disliked — no where really to put your clothes away
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RazzyKamloops
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2008

my husband and I we had a great time there meeting a lot of people drinking coco locos, food really good, everything so nice 2 month at the hotel san felipe was fun. cya next year keep :)
cinderella y lil

• Liked — love the food and fun cool place
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank MyDarlingBear
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2008

We loved this place. It wasn't a fancy place, but it was a very pleasurable stay. The owners seemed more like friends than hotel owners, and the people who stay there tend to be people who come back every year, because they like the place and the people. They do have two parrots and a dog, but, in my opinion, they add to the charm. Linda (the owner's wife) is a great cook, and she's a lot of fun too. They are also very willing to give advice on things to do and see in the area. We were there in January, and the weather could not have been better, and we felt that we were safer and the streets were cleaner than at home in the states. I would highly recommend this place.

• Liked — Atmosphere, view and price
  • Disliked — If other people are loud, there isn't much insulation from their noise.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
#3 of 13 in Barra de Navidad
Hotel Barra de Navidad
Hotel Barra de Navidad
#2 of 13 in Barra de Navidad

Been to Hotel San Felipe? Share your experiences!