“A local favourite but not mine.”
Review of Melaque

Melaque
Type:
More attraction details
Owner description: This beach is perfect for a relaxing swim and is a favorite of the locals.
Reviewed January 19, 2012

I was a little dissapointed with Melaque. It has a nice beach but not that great for swimming as too ruff. This is mostly a retirement town of Canadians.Not sure why.The streets are dirty and the shops are dusty and the restaurants are very expensive for Mexico. The hotels are cheap enough but you get what you pay for! Hard beds, dirty bathrooms ,old stained towels and (except for my stay at Hotel Bahia,)I felt like the shops/rest./hotels couldn't care less about my business.

5  Thank abfab40plus
There are newer reviews for Melaque

Reviewed January 19, 2012

At the water taxi area of Barra, you will see a large banner advertising Fortino's Restaurant.
Those Fortinos are hardworking family members (many of them) owned and operated many businesses... the restaurant across the lagoon, a fish farm, a hotel and bar in town and fishing charter.
We had the grand pleasure of spending time with different family members and absolutely loved our day on the water with Adrien. Dolhins accompanied us, giving a performance on both sides of the boat and criss-crossing in front of us. We then had a coastal tour past Costacomate, Tamarindo with La Manzanilla in sight and still have the imagine of Los Arcos in our heads. Thank you Fortinos!!

4  Thank RosemaryRonalds
Reviewed December 1, 2011

This is a super safe and comfortable town to expore. People are friendly and happy to interact with tourists. Hurricane Jova was only one month past when we arrived and we could not find signs of flooding or damage - the amount of work and clean up is amazing. Barra was harder hit. It actually feels good to be a tourist there as folks really do need our business.

8  Thank HungryHill72
Reviewed August 18, 2011

I go to Melaque every winter, the weather is perfect and the locals are the nicest people you will ever meet. They will literally take the shirt off their back for you if you needed.

8  Thank drinkard55
Reviewed April 18, 2009

One of the reasons why I stayed one month longer in Barra de Navidad was the opportunity to experience Semana San Patricio (St. Patrick's Day goes on for a week in Melaque...technically, San Patricio). The local residents honor their patron saint with a week long carnival and nightly fireworks displays that are set off from a three storey castillo.

Once the head of the castillo shoots off into the night sky the locals crowd around the jardin for a Mexican version of the running of the bulls. I could describe it but there is a video link in this posting that describes it better.

The best vantage point for the feint of heart is across from the square at the second storey restaurant known as Mi Casa. There is always debate as to the best night to see the fireworks. I went on the last and next to last nights. My preference was for the next to last night.

Check out the video at...

9  Thank tymark14