“its the best five star hotel in navi mumbai”

The Regenza by Tunga
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Navi Mumbai
Reviewed June 5, 2009

I Stayed In Hotel For Three Long Weeks , Food Quality Very Good,Services Offered By Front Office Very Courtieous,Bell Desk Very Helpful, Drivers For Pick Up Superb, Good Rooms, Lovely Restaurants And Business Centre.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed February 1, 2009

I stayed at Tunga Regency (Regenza) as it was near the office that I needed to visit. The hotel is fairly decent with most amenities needed for a business stay. It is also near the Vashi station and a lot of malls so evenings are easy to manage. The area looks safe for walking around.

Due to increased security , they do not let people go into the hotel without a thorough security check . This means that you are on the road with suitcases open to a set of security guards going through your clothes in public. I thought they could at the least let people pass into the gate before they made them open up their suitcases. The security guys are also little rustic and make matters a little more embarrassing.

The rooms themselves are ok and clean. The service to the rooms are also ok. I found the staff generally trying their best but limited in their competence. I did notice that foreigners get treated better than Indians in a fairly obvious manner.

the breakfast and restaurants do come up short on the 5 star standard anywhere . otherwise , they are fairly ok.

I would stay here again because the rates are substantially cheaper , location is much better for me and I found no major issues. However , this is certainly not a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
1  Thank Kantina
Reviewed December 10, 2008

Tunga is really very nice place to stay. Perfect Location, very near to Rly station (2 min. walking dist.) Staff and service upto the mark. Swimming pool, not very big. But could conclude to consider this hotel as best choice in Vashi..

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed June 28, 2008

Surprising for a hotel in Mumbai...Relatively new, pretty clean. Though typical service level for Mumbai.....

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 1, 2008

A group of us stayed at the Tunga for 6 weeks on a work assignment, the hotel having been recommended by our client for its proximity and its quality. To be honest, yes, the other Tripadvisor reviews I read had me worried; but I have to say that - all things considered - my experience at the Tunga was quite acceptable. By "all things considered" I mean: considering what other hotels are available in the area and the general standard of service and accommodation in Mumbai in general. My impression is that hotels and service in Mumbai are not of the same calibre as similar hotels in Singapore/KL/Bali/Jakarta, especially the service. So if one adjusts one's expectations to be more realistic compared to what is the local norm then the Tunga is actually a pretty good hotel.

The Tunga is in Vashi in Navi Mumbai. If you are going to Mumbai-proper then there are other hotels closer by in Colaba or Bandra or Andherri that may be better choices. But if you need to be in Navi Mumbai then the Tunga is one of only two good hotels in the area (The Park being the other hotel). The Tunga is next to a shopping mall (Center One mall), which has a variety of stores and a food court - this was especially important to us as we were in Navi Mumbai for 6 weeks so the mall provided a good distraction and an alternative for food and incidentals.

As of November/December 2007 the hotel was only 6 months old so the building and furnishings were still quite new and nice. The rooms were a good size (I got a corner room which had a bit more space), most have two twin beds but some do have king size beds. All the rooms have a small coffee table, chairs, desk, small refrigerator, hot water pot (to make tea/coffee), safe deposit box, and nice size closet. The bathroom in my room was especially spacious (because it was a corner room) and had a tub and shower. I don't think they have non-smoking rooms per se, but my room didn't smell smokey (which I can't stand) so this wasn't an issue for me. There are 2 restaurants on-site: The Crimson Cafe and Something's Fishy (which in itself sounds fishy but is actually quite OK). The food is good in both, the Indian dishes being better than the western or chinese ones. But consistency is not their forte as I ordered the same dish 6 times and got 6 different tasting and looking dishes - all tasted good, but it was still a bit unsettling. The breakfast buffet is a variety of western (omeletts, toast, pastries, cereals, etc) and Indian (dhosa, idli, sambar, etc) food and fresh fruits. It doesn't compare to what one would consider a 5-star restaurant breakfast buffet, but it's not bad either. There is a very small workout facility on the 2nd floor that contains 2 treadmills, an ellyptical trainer, and some free weights but no weight bench and no place to actually do any workout with the weights. The pool is also very small and I never saw anyone use it in the 6 weeks that I was there. There is a business center on the 2nd floor but it's quite pricey to use, so we mostly took advantage of the lounge on the 3rd floor for our business discussions - a bit less privacy but it was free and by the time I left we had "trained" the room-service guys to deliver food to the lounge instead of to our rooms. The streets around the hotel are quite busy late into the night so you'll hear street noise in the rooms. This was a bit unsettling at first but after 6 weeks there I realized that noise is a normal thing in Mumbai and not the hotel's fault.

My observation of some of the things I read in other posts:
1. Internet connection: costs INR150/hour (USD 3.50) and you have to get a 1/2/4/24 hour access code from the front desk before you can use it. It was a nuisance to have to do this but after a while we all got it down to a science and were even able to get the front desk to give us the code over the phone. The connection is a bit slow, but apparently this is normal in almost all the hotels in Mumbai.
2. The elevators: there are only 2 elevators and they are slow as molasses and randomly skip floors. It really irritated us at first but after 6 weeks it just became a source of amusement.
3. The staff: are very friendly and genuinely want to help, but they are not always the most competent or experienced... The housekeeping staff are good and friendly (although most don't speak English), but the front desk folks are slow and disorganized. After being there 2 weeks the breakfast staff knew my preferences and would prepare my breakfast on their own without my asking, which I appreciated.
4. Electricity: would go off once or twice almost every morning around 7:45am and 8:15am; each time lasting 30 seconds to 1 minute. It's irritating if it happens while you're in the shower caught in the pitch dark, but otherwise it's just a small nuisance since power is quickly restored.
5. Food: nobody in our group actually got sick from the food, so I'd take the other reviews with a grain of salt. This is, after all, India so one's stomach does have some adjusting to do no matter where one eats.

I gave this hotel an Above Average rating based on the other hotels of this calibre I saw in Mumbai/Navi Mumbai. The price is comparable to other similar hotels in the area. Mumbai in general does not have reasonably priced hotel rooms (for business travel, that is).

The only thing I would caution on is the reservations: their front desk is quite disorganized and apt to lose or mess-up your reservation. So be sure you confirm and reconfirm your arrival and departure dates before and after you arrive at the hotel; get your confirmation in writing so you have back-up when you arrive at the hotel late at night from your US/Europe flights.....

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed December 31, 2007

I was recommended this hotel for work reasons. It's OK, depending on your standards. The internet is slow and expensive, the electricity kept cutting out and resetting all the (low quality) TV channels (almost all in Indian languages). I also got a bad case of digestive bad news, but it's not sure that was because of the hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful. But generally, yeah it's very expensive for what it is. This is India. Most important perhaps, this is 2 hours from the city centre.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank wudangtiger
Reviewed November 25, 2007

After reading the other reviews, I was very apprehensive about my month long visit to the Tunga Regency. The food was fine, the rooms were nice, and location is nice as it is right next to a mall (McDonalds, Pizza Hut, and other familiar tastes). Laundry service is very good, and there are a few different restaurants in the hotel that aren't too bad.

However, it hasn't all been smooth sailing. The elevator is a bit slow, and the power has gone out more than 10 times since I have been here. Each time it is only for less than a minute, but an inconvenience nonetheless. The workout room is small, but functional. Getting 1 or 4 hour Internet cards is becoming a pain.

Worst of all is that 2 of our guests were checked out of their rooms without any warning. We came back from work to find their stuff in the lobby and no room for them! This was an unacceptable lapse in protocol.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business