Review Highlights
Great Morning

Decided to have a mini adventure and try surfing. I"m not that old but not that young so was... read more

Reviewed June 28, 2019
CJbythebeach
Deal, United Kingdom
Absolutely made our holiday...and tired us out!

We booked a full day of surfing, and some kayaking with these awesome people. During the morning of... read more

Reviewed June 5, 2016
Noodles7676

See what travelers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed April 10, 2015

My family live locally and when my partner and I visit we often take the first chance we get to hit the beach and hire some boards. I first used Porthtowan Surf School back in Summer 2010, when they were located further back from the beach. I remembered them being excellent, so when my partner wanted some more professional instruction, I instantly thought of the guys at this school. He was as impressed as I was.

We both booked on for a lesson on Wednesday morning and were told in advance what the price would be. We turned up the next morning, by which point I had decided that I really did have work to catch up on despite it being Easter break, so I had to give the lesson a miss, much to my dismay! My partner, however, was super keen and headed down with several others for their lesson.

After the lesson had ended (a lengthy two hours - great value for money), he was so pleased with the pointers he had been given that he immediately booked again for the following day, which went just as well!

I must say it's disappointing to see other reviewers have had negative experiences with this school as it's certainly something I can't envisage from them - everyone at the school is laid back whilst remaining professional and I think it's a shame people can't recognise that safety is a large concern when surfing. Having used this surf school several years ago, and again only a matter of days ago, both my partner and I can certainly contest to their consistent quality and enthusiasm, and cannot recommend them highly enough! Keep up the good work guys and we'll be sure to come for more lessons next time we're home!

Date of experience: April 2015
Reviewed October 31, 2014

We just came back from Cornwall. Our daughters had two days of lessons. The first day was excellent and run by owner. The second day they had a young lad who was good but not as good as day one. Perhaps the biggest let down was that we had paid for two hours each day, on the second day the young lad finished more than 30 minutes early. When I asked why I was met with indifference and no offer to refund anything. It was a really, really disappointing attitude and leaves us unable to recommend this school. We won't use them again. They were far too busy rushing off to something clearly more important to them than their customers.

Date of experience: October 2014
1  Thank CoolReviews
Spencer W, Owner at Falmouth & Porthtowan Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2014

Hi thanks for your feedback.
Were really pleased that your daughters first day of tuition met your expectations, however we're genuinely sorry that you were disappointed with our service on their second day. there are a few aspects to point out.
I am the owner and Head coach of the surfschool, and I teach from time to time however, the school now has four fully qualified and enthusiastic tutors that are fully capable to run the lessons on my behalf.On the day in question, Ryan led the surf lesson for your girls. Ryan is a professional surfer , so you will not receive a better coach in terms of ability, not to mention judgement on safety.You had already been advised during your booking to take half days instead of full days because it was October , so when your girls were showing disinterest and were feeling cold in the latter part of your second day, Ryan decided to bring them in, He would have been more than happy to continue the lesson for the final 30 minutes but he felt that the girls were tired and this raises safety issues.
We fully support Ryan.s judgement on reducing the lesson by 30 mins, (bearing in mind the lesson actually started 10 mins early)we encourage our coaches to make their decisions based on the weather, sea conditions, and participants stamina.Safety is paramount.
Refunds are not issued under these circumstances.
We are sorry that you felt disappointed with our customer service. We will endeavor to improve this aspect of our business.

Reviewed October 29, 2014

This is the third time I have booked with Falmouth & Porthtowan surf school and they always exceed my expectation! My children and I had an absolute blast!
Spencer is the lead instructor and he is a true professional, ensuring that all the safety and awareness aspects of the lesson are covered and that every participant feels safe, a true master of his talent. He was kind and caring especially with my son who has learning difficulties.
The school is based in Falmouth and is managed by Spencer’s wife Jules who is equally professional and a joy to chat to; not only regarding all elements of the surfing lessons, but also her knowledge about the local area is astounding and much more personable than the local tourist info!
I found the surf school to be highly professional, honest and extremely enthusiastic. The lessons were tailored to our group’s needs and requirements. Great for kids but awesome for grown-ups too!
I will be eternally grateful to the school for giving my family and I the holiday of a lifetime.

Date of experience: October 2014
1  Thank Charlie G
Reviewed August 22, 2014

We booked surf hire and lessons with this company way back in February to celebrate a special family birthday. Whilst booking they seemed to be offering us lots - a good deal in lessons and surf hire for the week; different types of lessons for the more advanced surfer in our group and coasteering too. Later when we tried to pay the balance we were told our initial price was too low and that we had to pay more. Rather than lose our deposit we paid up.
On arrival in Porthtowan we were given a good lesson for the beginners but there was very little else on offer. Some advice for the more advanced surfer which he described as nothing special. The hire was the normal rate less 10% that everyone received with lessons - another local shop was much cheaper for a full week! Next disappointment came when we asked about coasteering as the guy was clearly not interested in doing this and seemed to make a whole series of excuses not to go. (We found another very willing company in Falmouth!). Then to cap it all they said they couldn't find our second payment which made us lose all faith in the company at this point and we went elsewhere for surf hire. The hut etc. is well placed at the top of the beach and will always have good business due to the lovely area, beach etc. However with us we felt they took this as a given and did not provide good customer service to our group!

Date of experience: August 2014
Spencer W, Owner at Falmouth & Porthtowan Surf School, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2014

hi,
Your group received a safe, professional surf lesson, with our Surf School. The price you paid was discounted group rate, very good value , 2 hours with experienced surfcoaches who are trained in Beach lifeguarding, all equipment included.The expressions on the faces of your group were saying they had a great time.They were very complimentary at the time towards us.
Im sorry , you felt in hindsight that you did not enjoy it.

Customer Safety is our main concern, and some days with changing weather conditions we cannot always provide some activities, which is why we were in contact with another company who provide the Coaststeering for us on another coast.
Again , I apologise to you, for not being given a satisfactory explanation on the day.
Safety to us is paramount.

Reviewed August 20, 2014

The Weather was great and we arrived early at the Beach with a couple of other families based there at 9.30 but as the morning went on the numbers increased rapidly for surfers and for beach dwellers, the sand is nice with little gradient to the sea and there a clean toilet facilities close to the beach. There are a couple of shops and a cafe and a good bar to chill out. We stayed several hours and it easy to spend a full day there. Well recommended and we will go back.

Date of experience: August 2014