Second visit, so we knew what to expect from the quality of accommodation, which is really good. Also lots of facilities on site, even though we didn't take advantage (we spent most of our time enjoying Padstow and the beautiful estuary walks. Staff are also very good. So here were our frustrations...
Firstly they don't actually have the right accommodation for us. We are a group of 4 couples so we wanted 4 double bedrooms with en suite for all. Our only option is the Polzeath, the downside being that it was semi detached and has a closed kitchen, whereas we wanted a nice open plan area, as the other designs do.
We arrived in the dark and was amazed by the huge potholes which isn't good enough really. Then it was too dark to see the house number and I had to turn on the torch on my phone to find the keyhole in the door. During which time my shoes were soaked from splashing through dirty puddles. Again this shouldn't happen, it wouldn't take much to sort this out.
We paid extra to have twin beds converted to doubles, but one room wasn't done. There were no instructions to operate anything. This was a real problem because we couldn't get the heating working during the day, so it was really cold. At night it was so cold that my wife had to sleep in a hoody. We also couldn't master the tumble dryer and as a result we had wet towels for the whole 3 days.
We tried to phone reception but the phones do not work, not from 206 anyway. Also there were bath robes in only 1 bedroom - should be all or none you would think. And we ran out of toilet roll, which I think is totally unacceptable for a 5 star.
Sorry I've focused on the negatives but there are several good reviews on here about the quality of resort and the good staff, which I agree with. But these niggles do deserve a mention. By the way I am still waiting for my £20 refund for the beds!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled between the picturesque fishing village of Padstow, the idyllic shopping town of Wadebridge, and the British Surfing capital of Newquay, we provide the ideal location for any holiday agenda. Offering both Short Breaks and Weekly stays in our luxury 1, 2, 3, 4 and 6 bedroom Self-catering Lodges both family holidays and romantic getaways are just a click away. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, LateRooms and HotelQuickly so you can book your Retallack Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Retallack Hotel St Columb Major
- Retallack Hotel Cornwall
- Retallack Resort And Spa St Columb Major, Cornwall, England